SSH's Walkcycle generator v1.10

Started by SSH, Tue 09/05/2006 22:37:47

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

SSH's Walkcycle generator
Makes walkcycles easy... and can be used as a Paint program too.

Now loading walkcycle details from an XML file that you can edit yourself

Download Walkcycle generator here
Download Princess Marian's body parts and XML here!

For the unsupported broken hi-res version, see further down the thread

Please comment and make suggestions for improvements!

Screenshots

Examples that somehow got their heads chopped off... :(

VERSION HISTORY:
v1.01 bug fixes
v1.02 with Undo and a small palette of colours
v1.03 tooltips and bug fixes
v1.04 fixed DeepHitz's problem
v1.05 fixed AJA and pslim's bugs and a few others I found in the process ;)
v1.10 added XML import and provided Right and Front walkcycle XMLs

INSTRUCTIONS

Animation

The program starts with an walkcycle animation running. You can turn on the "skeleton" of the walkcycle by clicking on the button under the animation with the white figure on it. You can also toggle the sprites by clicking on the button beside it. The buttons next to those are Play/pause and Single-step. These allow you to stop and start the animation, or look at individual frames.

You can save the whole animation as a series of bitmaps by clicking the "Save Walkcycle" button which is down in the bottom-right of the screen. You can change the animation speed by opening Animation properties: just click on the animation. On the dialog that opens, you can enter a frame delay for the animation. You can also choose an image to be used as the background of the animation display, or with the properties open, move the RGB sliders in the bottom-left of the screen to adjust the BG colour. Here you can also load a new XML file from disk. The default XML file loaded at startup is called WCGen.xml.

Bone Select/Info

In the top-middle of the screen, you can select a "Bone" of the skeleton. The information on the bone appears to the right. The bone length is the size of the skeleton bone. Width and height describe the sprite, which you can see too. If you click on the sprite you can edit it in the bottom half of the screen (more later). The sprite is drawn in the animation centred on the bone, but you can also change the X and Y offsets in the info pane.

Sprite Editor

You can edit sprites here that you have loaded in from the Bone Info or from a file. Once edited, sprites can be saved or applied to the currently selected Bone. Note that with all sprites in the editor and loading from disk that AGS Runtime treats pure magenta (R=255, G=0, B=255) as transparent, so paint any areas that you want to to be transparent with this colour. AGS Runtime can also only handle BMP and PCX file formats.

The tools available are a brush (select circular or square, and the size in the GUI above the Paint tools); Dropper (click to pick up colour from image); Flood Fill; Line; Select; Cut; Copy; Paste; Colour Replace. Note that with all operations, dragging doesn't really work: e.g. select an area by clicking and then clicking again, rather than dragging.

NB: The undo button only undoes Paint operations.

XML

TO BE CONTINUED...  ;)

m0ds

Cool! It looks nifty, nice work SSH. I tried it but didn't know what the heck I was doing.

I imagine a lot of people will find it very useful. Perhaps you could include a readme or tutorial or something?

:)

magintz

Wow, this sounds interesting, not sure how it is goign to work.

Taking a look now, will report back ASAP

EDIT: Wow this is awesome, it took a moment to work it out but it seems great. For people who are interested:

Draw all the individual body parts using the current images so you know basic sizes and shapes. Load the images into the application. The apply each one to the bone structure under the different areas. Then just click the "save walkcycle"... nice and simple!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Candle

Thats really cool SSH. can you do up and down cycles?

Kweepa

Pretty cool!
I got a few crashes just clicking on buttons initially (eg when nothing assigned, or trying to resize a non-image), but I sort of see how it works now. Awesome!
The walkcycle itself could do with some tweaking - the feet stretch forward too far.
Trying to change the cycle offset also is odd - it keeps changing the number I type in.

[EDIT]
Another crash pressing the paste button without copying first (I guess).

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.913)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'goToolPaste_Click':
Error: Null pointer referenced
in Paint (line 191)
from Global script (line 547)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SSH

Quote from: Candle on Tue 09/05/2006 22:55:52
Thats really cool SSH. can you do up and down cycles?
Yes, I hope to make the Bone structures and Cycles fully load/save/editable, but I thought it was already useful now.

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 10/05/2006 00:34:17
I got a few crashes just clicking on buttons initially (eg when nothing assigned, or trying to resize a non-image), but I sort of see how it works now. Awesome!
Ooops, I'll try and track these down. Please let me know exactly what you are doing  when they happen, though!

The walkcycle itself could do with some tweaking - the feet stretch forward too far.

Well, once I make it editable....

Trying to change the cycle offset also is odd - it keeps changing the number I type in.
Ah yes, it might work better if you pause the animation first. Or not. That needs some work...   ::)

Another crash pressing the paste button without copying first (I guess).

Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.913)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'goToolPaste_Click':
Error: Null pointer referenced
in Paint (line 191)
from Global script (line 547)

I'll get this cleared up, thanks for the detail.

I'll try and remember to turn off debug mode, too  :=

Haddas

I had a problem with it.

Should using the fill button fill the whole square with random TV Noise?

SSH

No, but I've fixed that bug now. It only happens on sprites that are an odd number of bytes wide!

However, it seems that my hosting's ftp server is down (hajo, AGA: fix it!) so I can't upload it yet...Ã,  :-[
EDIT:
Uploaded...

Also fixed Steve's copy bug and added a colour replacement tool

Ubel

lo_res_man

this would be good for making "crowds" without doing as much work.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

MrColossal

This is pretty cool except I have one major problem with it...

There's no floppy hands option.

Please please please make a Colossal-izer button that makes the hands very floppy!

MY LEGACY IS AT STAKE!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Haddas

Afflict

Kewl. Havent used it but kewl!

Will check it out ASAP

Anyway maybe you guys can build into ags ;)

Kweepa

Pablo! Quick - post it in the Critics' Lounge!

SSH, I haven't had time to try to repro the bugs I mentioned earlier.

But I was thinking... How about an option to drag bones to make keyframes for some other animations than just a walk cycle? I guess you're entering MoHo territory, but without (hopefully) the learning curve.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Steel Drummer

cool program. A bit glitchy though, but with some improvement in the program and bug fixes it would be awesome.
I'm composing the music for this game:

fovmester

I say: WOW! What a great idea! To be able to make a walkcycle in seconds!

I guess an improvement would be to have several kinds of walkcycles reflecting the personality of the character; normal, nerdy, hunk, bad ass, old, etc etc.

Great work, SSH!

SSH

Quote from: yodaman11111 on Thu 11/05/2006 03:51:41
cool program. A bit glitchy though, but with some improvement in the program and bug fixes it would be awesome.

Can you be specific, please? What bugs did you find, and what improvements would you like: I'm not psychic!

Candle

Up and down cycle would be good.

SSH

v1.03 uploaded with tooltips and minor bug fixes.

The front/back walkcycles will come from the features I'm working on:

• movement data to contain scaling factor for foreshortening
  • Animation, movement and skeleton data to be loaded from an XML-like file
  • Also, some keyboard shortcuts

Helli78

its an very interesting proggy. i 'found' a bug: when i click onto the right-above corner of the program-desk i will always get this error-message:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk