King's Quest 2 VGA has been released!

Started by Erpy, Tue 03/12/2002 06:56:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpy

Tierra's latest and greatest project is now available for download and is ready to rock the fangame world.

(our new site is at www.tierraentertainment.com)

LucasFan

Do'h â€" 103,60 MB (game + music pack)
It seems that Tierra once again set new standards for AGS-games…

Erpy

2ma2 - unplugged

But geez.. are there a midi version of that music pack? This is pretty much for fast connection people only, cause it'd take a month or similar with my dialup..

Ofcourse, one could download it in school.. :)

Barcik

Nice, nice. Well I am downloading it now but I don't know when I will be able to actually get to it to play (I have many other games on my list).

Hmmm.... just in time for the awards.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Erpy

If you don't download the music pack, KQ2VGA will resort to MIDI music instead. But we don't encourage it. The digital score is to the MIDI-soundtrack what VGA is compared to EGA.

Dave Gilbert

Yay!  I've been looking forward to this game for a long time.  

Although your timing is terrible, dude.  You could have released this a week ago when we Americans were taking our Thanksgiving vacations.  :)

Anyrate, I am downloading now in eager anticipation...

"Romancing the Stones?"

Hm.  That sounds kind of dirty.

-Dave

Vel

Downloading now(up to 50%)
But when is QFG2 coming?I'm really looking forward to it!

Barcik

Hmm.... is this going to have a voice pack too?
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Erpy

We don't give out estimated release dates (like for QFG2VGA) anymore. The deal with KQ2+ was; the game was finished a month or so ago already. But there was one thing we called "the mystery feature" (a VERY spiffy intro movie) that took ages. We were forced to hold off the release despite our earlier estimations and some of the fans were starting to press us...

It's highly unlikely KQ2+ will have a voicepack. There's a crapload of dialogue in there and it would take ages to record everything and edit it into the game.

Nostradamus

* Nostradamus pisses his pants in excitement

* Nostradamus changes pants and downloads

Vel

Marvellous!Brilliant!Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!That's one of the best fan games I have ever played(if not the best!)keep up the good work, guys!

Raggit

I'm currently downloading it!

I've got Direct PC digital satelite internet!

So not much of a wait for me! :P
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Raggit

Okay, this has been re-written to avoid future arguments.

I didn't quite care for the Tierra remake of KQ2. IMO it strayed from the original too much, but if you are interested in a alternate and interesting remake of KQ2, download KQ2 VGA.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Pumaman

Raggit: I'm curious, in what way is this worse? The original KQ2 was one of the most boring games I have ever played, are you seriously saying that you would have found an exact remake more fun than this? Have you even tried it?

Adamski

Harsh, harsh words there Raggit... Tierra have quiet obviously poured their heart and soul into this project, and are no doubt huge Sierra fans themselves, so i'm sure they'd take that kind of criticism quite unwell seeing the amount of effort that has gone into this.

More to the point, fantastic work guys, this truly is a very professional product... I haven't got very far into the game (too much wandering around in forests in Sierra games... but very beautiful forests!) but it oozes quality in every way.

Erpy

There's one thing we kept in mind during the entire development (that Raggit doesn't seem to understand). If you remake something; don't duplicate the flaws of the original. KQ2 had lots of flaws. Dead end situations, places where you could fall down by taking a wrong step, no antagonist, no dialogue, illogical puzzles, randomly chosen characters and a rather thin plot. We decided to create a game that would match the quality of KQ6. If original aspects had to be removed in order to improve the final result; so be it.

Raggit

Okay, I admit, I was being to hard on KQ2VGA.

I DO understand what a hard task it is to create a computer game.  I guess I was just disapointed becuase KQ1VGA was done so well. It felt like a real Sierra game. KQ2VGA didn't have the same feeling. It was to different and I was expecting somthing more like the original KQ2.

So I extend my apologizes to the entire Tierra KQ2 VGA team. Sorry I came down on your game so hard. I must say though, the intro was awesome. What did you guys use to make that?

I personally think that KQ2 was better than the first KQ.  And CJ, yes I did try it. It just wasn't to my liking.

But the main point here is that I was in the wrong for being such a jerk. I must say that I appreciate the fact that you all treated me more mature than I treated you. I was in a bad mood anyway.

again sorry.

--Raggit
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Erpy

That's a better way to voice an opinion.

Too bad you didn't like it. It was a daring move on our part and will be an interesting experiment regarding how much changes fans will tolerate without seeing it as an oddball in the series.

I'll admit that the game contains some elements that weren't exactly taken from the KQ-games. The "dark part" for instance is more like QFG4 than any KQ-game.

If you surf the web, you'll find that most people haven't given KQ2 a very high rating. I've already mentioned some of the weak points. The plot itself is rather thin. A 1:1 remake wouldn't be a problem with a deep game like QFG2. There's hardly anything we'd be able to improve in Trial by Fire. I think lots of people would have been disappointed if we just upgraded the music and graphics for KQ2. It would have been like giving a caveman an expensive 900 dollar suit. Good-looking on the outside, but still primitive within. After getting used to the graphics, people would start scoffing that the game was still bad.

Ah well, I find it hard to believe that you finished the game already at this time, so maybe you should try to beat it nevertheless. (the game definitely gets better as you proceed...) Even if you don't regard it as a genuie KQ (a point I disagree with you on), you could still try to see it as an adventure we put a lot of love into.

(end of rant)

Raggit

KQ2 was rather weak, I agree.

Anyway, I'm sure QFG2VGA will not disapoint. I'm getting anxious to see the AGS battle system!

--Raggit
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk