King's Quest 2 VGA has been released!

Started by Erpy, Tue 03/12/2002 06:56:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Timosity

The game looks great, It took about 20 mins to download(game + music), I felt like i was back using a dialup, but it made me think this must mean quality, I've been waiting for this for over a year, but not as Much as QFG2 remake, this game will hopefully just tide me over till then.
I'm not much of a kings quest fan but I have played all up to 6,
I had a go of Tierra's new version and it took me a while to figure out which KQ it was. Kings quest gets me all confused I can never remember what things happen in different ones, so It should be a challenge, especially if it is a different story to the original.

btw I think it's great making a remake that is different in some ways to the original, it makes it worth playing, otherwise people will say "ah, I've already played that game," and not bother downloading it.

You Should make a remake of Leisure suit Larry 2 or 3, or even Space Quest 2 or 3, or if any other people who want to make a remake of any of these games go for it, I just think the kings quest games are a bit lame, but still definately playable, that's just my taste. Personally the Quest for Glory series took over where the  Kings Quest series went shit, why didn't I think of that. Well Sierra still made money from both.

Great work Tierra, are any of you ex sierra workers or something, Why be anonymous, If you are worried about being sued, I hate to tell you but they could track you down if they really wanted to sue you, Just come out of the closet and be proud to have released a great game.

Hurry up Q4G2, I'm sure it will be worth the wait, but not another year, not next christmas, that's too far away, like waiting for the next Lord of the rings movie to come out, There is still over a year until The Return of the king.

Now there's an Idea for a very large 3 part adventure game, I know there are various LOTR games out there even really old ones but If someone started this project on AGS it would be awsome. It would have to be done well though, ANY TAKERS

Snake

Pfft, piece of cake, Tim. I'd take on that project anyday ;) Not as hard as the fan sequel to Willy Beamish I'm secretly working on...

DAMNED DIALUP! It would take years to download it. I didn't even play the first one because of time. Damn, I need a faster connection.

I'm sure it rocks, though, guys!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

auhsor

Heaps cool. I'll download it next time i get the chance, cos i'm at school at the moment. It's gonna take a while, stupid dialup. I've been waitin for this for a while.

Yeah, i think that a remake of SQ3 would be the coolest, but you guys at tierra are probably into the KQ and QFG series. But i wouldnt know, would i.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

amaranth

I think you've done an excellent job on this game. The intro that takes you through the land, up to the tower was great.  B.t.w., how long did it take you to do that??
Like RPGs? Play Ahriman's Prophecy!!
www.amaranthia.com

Erpy

We asked a 3D-artist to do the cutscene for us. And it took way too long. In fact, if we would have left out the cutscene, we would have released the game a month or so ago already.

Duzz

This game is fantastic, the plot, the puzzles, the art, the music the easter eggs...   everyone should download it now, even you poor dialups =)

Well done tierra!

(btw: CJ, could you implement a time-machine into AGS  to transport me to next year so i can play qfg2vga plz? ;) )

thanks.
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

Barcik

Quote from: Timosity on Wed 04/12/2002 02:45:31You Should make a remake of Leisure suit Larry 2 or 3, or even Space Quest 2 or 3,

Or of Leiusre Suit Larry 4!!!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Dave Gilbert

Holy fluffernutters on TOAST.  This game is great!  I haven't played that much of it yet, but wow.  You really fleshed out the gameworld.  I always thought the mer-people section was the lamest part of KQ2, but you've made it really interesting.  Well done!

-Dave

Timosity

I finally finished the game, it was much better than I expected, not being a Kings Quest Fan, I only needed 1 hint to finish the game and i'm disappointed I needed it, cause I probably would have figured it out, It wasn't one of the harder puzzles, well it wasn't even really a puzzle, but I won't spoil it for anyone else. If I'd played the original in the last while it would have been an easier task.

Is Tierra's version of Kings Quest 1 an exact replica or has the story been changed like no.2, if it has I might consider playing it, cause if I'm not mistaken, didn't Sierra make a remake of the game too, before VGA.

This has made me think differently about the Kings Quest series but I feel Tierra have made a better production than Sierra, in Kings Quest 2 anyway.

All I can say is, I can't wait for Quest for Glory 2 remake.
End of 2003, Geez, Haven't you started it yet?
Just kidding, take as long as you like, the longer it takes, the better the quality, Well I hope.

I Just hope Q4G2 takes more than 2 days to finish, with more puzzles.

Keep up the good work Tierra, And do something about that Anonymous Developer stuff, The only unprofessional part of the whole production.

Nostradamus

THis is brilliant.
I was just going WOW!!! looking at the cutscenes.
I love have you added depth to the story I always hated how ther ewasn't any story in King's Quest, just a collection of fairy tales stuff. Great job.

I'm stuck with no stones. I 'll try to look in the original KQ2 walkthrough maybe it will help. I didn't find Red Hood's basket, didn't find what to give to the mermaid, don't know where to get water for the pumpkin, can't enter either house or Hagatha's cave...

player

having beat the game I can say it's absolutely awesome, and that more and more impressive stuff awaits you the more you play. so don't miss out!

Raggit

Sierra probably wouldn't sue just becuase there is a group of loyal fans remaking old adventure games into VGA.

If they're going to sue anybody, it'll be the guys who made QFG 1/4 or whatever.

I think Tierra should credit their real names in their games.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Squinky

Don't listen to him guys....Raggit works undercover for Sierra...Don't let him trick you....

Raggit

*Raggit pulls bag over Squinky's head and drags him into a closet and locks the door*

Shh! I almost had a case!!

No, I really don't want anything to do with today's Sierra. The old Sierra however, is great!!

I wish they still made adventure games. Or at least sold the ones they already made. It's like they don't even want to accept adventure games as apart of their history. :(
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Timosity

I tried to ask in the Tierra forum, who the anonymous developers were, I was more looking for general info ie did they formerly work for Sierra, I got this response from Tom Lewandowski

QuoteLet's just say, the KGB and CIA top brass are watching...and leave it at that.

I don't think remaining anonymous will stop anyone from being able to sue them. There are some smart organisations out there and if they really want to track someone down they will.

Whoever they are anyway, they must have already made their money, if they can spend over a year creating a quality game, for no money, They obviously love what they do. Therefore are probably people who have worked on other sierra games, and money isn't an object to them anymore (bastards)

I bet most of us wish we could just sit back and make AGS games without having to work, Imagine the Quality of Our games then.

There's a group of People making Space Quest 7 using the AGAST Engine, and I think some of those people have worked on former Space Quest games, This game has been in production for longer than KQ2VGA and still has a long way to go I think, But they have to make up a whole new story, much harder obviously than rewriting an old one.
the site is here: http://www.sq7.org/

There is Also a team making Kings Quest IX, the production for this looks pretty good too, I think this one uses the AGAST Engine aswell. the site is here: http://www.kq9.org

So if anyone hasn't heard about these games, there are the links, Also If anyone knows any other cool projects that are going on please inform me.

FenderQ

Geez that must have been a lot of hard time consuming work.  Congratulations on a job well done!

I like the new web site design too. :D

Barcik

I was told that they remain anonymous because they don't want to take the credit for a game that they have not designed.

Erpy

QuoteWhoever they are anyway, they must have already made their money, if they can spend over a year creating a quality game, for no money, They obviously love what they do. Therefore are probably people who have worked on other sierra games, and money isn't an object to them anymore (bastards)

Well yeah, our development team loves what they're doing. If you don't put love into your game, you might as well not release it at all. (as it'll suck)

But you're wrong about the AGD's being retired ex-Sierra workers. They are most certainly not. Just adventure fans (in pretty much the same age group as most adventure fanatics) who spend a lot of time keeping the classics alive.

It's true that the AGDs don't want to take credit for a game that's not theirs. It would be naïve for us to think that just an anonymous internet name would keep an angry company at bay.

Speaking of Sierra sueing; they did indeed contact the QFG4.5 project once and demanded it to be shut down. The creator sent them a sarcastic reply back and told them they'd be welcome to sue. Sierra appearantly never got back to them. I DO believe they had to move once because their host kicked them off, but I can't tell if Sierra had anything to do with this.

Barcik

Indeed, the big companies are rarely bothered with fan games. All I ever heard of is that Lucasarts have closed down some Monkey Island fan games prior to the release of Escape of Monkey Island.

Chrille

KQ2VGA is truly an amazing game and feels just a good old Sierra game, minus the dead ends and the illogical deaths ofcourse :-). I only wish the dead ends would have been removed/reworked from KQ1VGA as well ;-)

I think that Sierra might have tried shutting down QFG 4.5 because it doesn't represent the QFG series properly (it's a great game, but Sierra were probably not really too excited about all the offensive jokes :)), but games like KQ1VGA & KQ2VGA I'm sure they're more than happy to allow, since they actually give the series a better image than the orginal KQ1 & 2.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk