The Heist

Started by AJA, Mon 05/06/2006 13:39:13

Previous topic - Next topic

AJA

I decided to start a new thread for our OROW entry because we're quite satisfied with the outcome. We worked really hard the entire week and we'd really love to hear YOUR comments on the game.

Anyway, in this game your goal is to steal valuable jewelry and other stuff from the Marmous Manor. Each stage of the heist has multiple solutions, so you can play the game again and again and again... Unless you get really sick and tired of it :P The game also features DivX compressed cut scene and transition videos, pre-rendered 3D background art and mini games.

This version of The Heist is almost exactly the same as the OROW entry. The only change is that I've updated our names into the game and the readme. I've also removed one song from the music.vox which I forgot to remove for the competition entry. :-

Well, we (me and MadReizka) hope that you enjoy this short game! Have fun! (Hopefully some of you will try out all the solutions to the "puzzles" (there are three somewhat different solutions for each of them).

Last but not least, here's a screenshot:

And the download urls (~17MB)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=download&game=728
Mirror: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=download&game=728&mirror=1

jasonjkay

Looks good but a bit dark. Downloading now.
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/ - Mods, plugins and templates.

DoorKnobHandle

Just played it through once and liked it quite a lot. Very nice idea!

I used:
Spoiler

the ladder without being seen at the wall, the pick lock at the front door and then some dynamite on the safe (because I couldn't figure out the correct code - I know it has to have to do with that passed away husband and stuff, but I couldn't get four numbers - I got: 1 for january, 3 for her age, and maybe 06 for the year, but you can't enter 0), then I flee quickly, but without problems.
[close]

AJA

Quote from: dkh on Mon 05/06/2006 14:22:46
Spoiler

I got: 1 for january, 3 for her age, and maybe 06 for the year, but you can't enter 0)
[close]

Spoiler
January = 1 and 3 are correct, the rest of the numbers can be found elsewhere (look at the note for hints). I hope at least someone can figure out the combination. It's not very logical in my opinion.
[close]

I'm glad you liked it, dkh! :)

MYKAYEL

AWESOME GAME! It definetlly deserves an award.
Original Ideea and great graphics. Also, the cinematics and room transition cutscenes are an excelent toutch. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.  ;) Aww yea, I've just started playing I'll post here If I have any trouble and cant figure out the puzzles. :P

GarageGothic

Interesting concept, and it works smoother than anything else I've seen using video transitions in AGS.
I must admit the lockpicking mini game was too tough for me, and it didn't seem to have much to do with real lockpicking. I much preferred cracking the safe.

I discovered a bug though:
Spoiler
If you keep tapping ESC really fast to skip the FMV after using the axe on the door, the alarm won't go off
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

Hehe, now I finished it again.

Spoiler

This time I crossed the wall using the rope and the hook without beeing seen, then I picked the lock on the front door again (which first seemed pretty hard, by the way, but now I think it's okay and doable) and then I had to use the dynamite because I still couldn't figure out the right combination. This time, the alarm did not go off after using the dynamite! Is this supposed to be this way?

Anyways, now the numbers where different (this time, it would say that she had 8 grandchildren, and the youngest one was born 16 years ago) - I figured that you always only get two numbers from the newspaper. I couldn't find out what to do with the lamp and the phone and what the key is for (you only get it after you've crossed the wall with the gate anyways).
[close]

MYKAYEL

This game is FUN!! :D By the way if anyone manages to beat the LOCKPICK game, I'll say that man must be the best and fastest typeist in the world. :))
It's verry logical, the game is easy to finish, but you have so many choices..and that makes it fun. :D Will there be a sequel? :D Something like breaking into another house?

AJA

Quote from: GarageGothic on Mon 05/06/2006 14:50:05
I discovered a bug though:
Spoiler
If you keep tapping ESC really fast to skip the FMV after using the axe on the door, the alarm won't go off
[close]

Spoiler
There's actually a 40% probability that the alarm will go off when you use the axe, which actually is a bit illogical, I guess. :P
[close]

Quote from: dkh on Mon 05/06/2006 15:03:56
Spoiler

I had to use the dynamite because I still couldn't figure out the right combination. This time, the alarm did not go off after using the dynamite! Is this supposed to be this way?
[close]

Yes, there's a 75% probability that the alarm goes off.

Quote from: dkh on Mon 05/06/2006 15:03:56
Spoiler

I figured that you always only get two numbers from the newspaper. I couldn't find out what to do with the lamp and the phone and what the key is for (you only get it after you've crossed the wall with the gate anyways).
[close]

Spoiler
Correct, two numbers from the newspaper. Actually, you can't do anything with the lamp. You were supposed to be able to turn it on but that would've required too many different versions of the room graphics. You can use the phone after you've read the note on the safe (SPOILER: one number for the combination is revealed when you use the phone). The key is for the manor gate (you can't get out otherwise if you've used the ladder since it's on the other side of the wall).
[close]

(Hah, that's the third second time I've tried to post this message and then a new message has already been posted :D)

Quote from: MYKAYEL on Mon 05/06/2006 15:09:12
By the way if anyone manages to beat the LOCKPICK game, I'll say that man must be the best and fastest typeist in the world. :)

Well, I haven't had any problems with lock picking. You just have to concentrate. Oh, and the keypress check area for the balls isn't quite right, so the best way to beat the game is not to wait for the ball to be inside the square but a bit earlier than that so that you won't miss it. I'll try to fix this if we will release a "deluxe edition" (with one more mini game).

Quote from: MYKAYEL on Mon 05/06/2006 15:09:12
It's verry logical, the game is easy to finish, but you have so many choices..and that makes it fun. :D Will there be a sequel? :D Something like breaking into another house?

Who knows :) Not for a while though since I have to begin my military service next month (and that lasts at least six months).

DoorKnobHandle

Ah, allright, I did it. This time without getting noticed at all. Was quite tricky to find out the correct order, but it worked after a few tried.

Spoiler

I didn't even find the "note" hotspot on the safe!
[close]

Now I only want to know how in the world you can solve the game without buying ANYTHING!

veryweirdguy

I don't think it's possible to solve the game without buying ANYTHING, but you can win with the $20 you start off with...

I enjoyed this game quite a bit, it stood out for me in the competition, and the multiple solutions and minigames were very clever. Good job guys!

MadReizka

Quote from: dkh on Mon 05/06/2006 15:42:50

Now I only want to know how in the world you can solve the game without buying ANYTHING!

Easy as hell, you just have to know how the game works.

I still remember how I never beaten the game until the later parts of the beta tests :D
I do music and visual effects:
http://www.distantshitfilms.net/personal/

AJA

If you beat the game without buying anything, you've either
A) found a bug or
B) been dreaming the whole time
;)

Quote from: dkh on Mon 05/06/2006 15:42:50
Was quite tricky to find out the correct order, but it worked after a few tried.

Spoiler
I hope you realized that the correct order is in the note. Search for keywords that refer to other places where the numbers can be found.
[close]

And in case someone hadn't noticed, the game was somewhat inspired by Still Life, which is filled with these mini game type puzzles. Had way too many of them, though, if you ask me.

jetxl

Awesome has a game. It's called The Heist.

Khris

I loved this game, very different from your ordinary AGS-game, but technically perfect and very innovative!

I didn't find any clues about the safe's combination (I didn't look very hard ;)), so I've actually written a small AGS-script which solved it for me :)

AJA

Thanks!

Quote from: KhrisMUC on Tue 06/06/2006 03:48:04
I didn't find any clues about the safe's combination (I didn't look very hard ;)), so I've actually written a small AGS-script which solved it for me :)

:D

I'm actually starting to think we should make a sequel. Longer and with more different methods of solving puzzles. I hope I'll feel the same way when I get home from the army (hopefully) in January. Then I'd have almost eight months of spare time.

MadReizka

"Woo-ooh, you're in the army, now."

Anywho. Yes sequel would be nice.

Insignia

I'm surprised so many people thought the lockpicking puzzle was difficult. I sailed through that like a breeze. I never considered looking for clues for the safe; I just played the puzzle (with the stethoscope). Well, first I blew it up because I couldn't figure it out, but then I replayed and cracked it.

Very nice game, anyway!

radiowaves

I played it and I liked it, nice concept.
Only problem it had was that the game was so easy. You didn't have to break the code, you could just steal enough money and buy a dynamite, like I did. I also used an axe on the door, no lock picking. Btw, can rock be used to break the window?
Puzzles should be more puzzeling, there are way too many easy options...
But really nice idea and graphics, I love it.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Phemar

Brilliant game, but the lockpicking was TOO DARN DIFFICULT!!!

AJA

Thanks everybody!

Quote from: radiowaves on Wed 07/06/2006 10:09:18
Only problem it had was that the game was so easy. -- Puzzles should be more puzzeling, there are way too many easy options...

Well, there are easy solutions, and there are harder solutions. When you've tried the easy ways, you can play again and try some of the more challenging methods. Getting money for the dynamite wasn't supposed to be easy but apparently the newer "mouse wiggler" is not hard enough. You can blame MadReizka for that. He kept whining that the original one was too damn hard :P (I thought it was a bit too easy as well ::))

lo_res_man

just so you know, in case you don't, there is a piece of  home-brew interactive fiction called "The Heist",you can find it on gamehippo.com
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

MashPotato

Quote from: AJA on Wed 07/06/2006 15:43:25
Getting money for the dynamite wasn't supposed to be easy but apparently the newer "mouse wiggler" is not hard enough.
When I first played this, I thought 'this pickpocketing is ridiculously easy' and bought everything I could... but then I realized it was so easy because I was using a tablet!  All I had to do was keep my hand still ::).  I will eventually play again, but will do things properly ;).  Anyway, great job on the game!

AJA

Quote from: lo_res_man on Wed 07/06/2006 18:19:11
just so you know, in case you don't, there is a piece of  home-brew interactive fiction called "The Heist",you can find it on gamehippo.com

Hmm, well "The Heist" isn't a very original name, so this sort of stuff happens when you don't do your research properly. After all, "Heist" is also a movie. :-\

Quote from: MashPotato on Wed 07/06/2006 18:52:29
When I first played this, I thought 'this pickpocketing is ridiculously easy' and bought everything I could... but then I realized it was so easy because I was using a tablet!

Cheat! :P

Besh

Great game with a new and fresh gameplay.

(when I used dynamite the alarm didn't star, if the alarm start when you break the window it should start also when you use the dynamite)

Waiting for new great games.
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

MadReizka

Quote from: Besh on Fri 09/06/2006 08:47:22

(when I used dynamite the alarm didn't star, if the alarm start when you break the window it should start also when you use the dynamite)

Well I think that it does not matter does the alarm come or not, since the game is really at the end, so you will be able to get out of the manor in anycases. Or can you?

TheCheese33

I love the work put into this. Definately a candidate for an award.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

Besh

Quote from: MadReizka on Sat 10/06/2006 11:45:27
Quote from: Besh on Fri 09/06/2006 08:47:22

Well I think that it does not matter does the alarm come or not, since the game is really at the end, so you will be able to get out of the manor in anycases. Or can you?

Ok, the game is really at the end but the alarm creates suspance, therefore to arrive to the machine with the sound of the police in distance would give more satisfaction (is only a suggestion).

Again, GREAT GAMEÃ,  ;)
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

AJA

Yes, well, anyway... :D

Don't be expecting a deluxe version anymore. I just don't have the motivation. But I'm still hoping something similar (meaning there will be multiple choises to puzzles and cutscene videos, etc) but bigger and better will be put into development in the future (depending on whether I get home from the army in January). I already have plans... big plans... too big plans, most likely.

MadReizka

You going to use the spare time at army to make proper plannings and that sort of stuff. You came out with a rank and 300 pages of plans for the next game.

AJA

That's the plan! ;)

Also, is there anyone here that could translate Czech to English for us? I'd appreciate it if you could post a translation here or if you know who'd be able to translate this so that I could contact him/her about it. (I don't want to make a new thread just for this. :P) No need to translate anything that just says what the game is about but if there are any comments "hidden" in there, we'd like to be able to read them :-[

Bohatá panička odjela kamsi daleko a nechala své luxusní sídlo plné drahých Å¡perků a peněz bez dozoru. Dokonalá příležitost pro zdatného zlodějíčka trochu si přilepÅ¡it a zvýšit životní standard. Taková je základní premisa hry The Heist, jež byla vytvořena pro potřeby soutěže One Room One Week, nicméně její mantinely poněkud překračuje. Neodhrává se zdaleka v jediné lokaci a je rozhodně komplexnější, než bývá u účastníků zvykem. Tak například obsahuje skoro až manažerský systém: hráč začíná se dvaceti dolary, další si může nakrást. Za získané peníze pak v obchodě se zlodějskými potřebami kupuje další čím dál sofistikovanější nástroje. Na začátku si může dovolit tak maximálně žebřík nebo pilku na železo, později už je vybaven skoro jako agent Å¡pionážního filmu â€" až nakonec zdolá i poslední překážky a otevře sejf s největšími cennostmi. The Heist je perfektní v tom směru, že každá postupná scéna vloupání má spoustu různých řeÅ¡ení: zeď lze přelézt žebříkem, anebo upilovat mříže hlavní brány. Taktéž audiovizuální prezentace je na vysoké úrovni, a tak se není čemu divit, že The Heist ve svém kole OROW zvítězil s jasným náskokem.

( URL: http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/adventura/2d-adventura/the-heist/ )

TheCheese33

Well, I ran it through a translator I found on the internet. Here's what it spat out:

Code: ags
Grow rich mistress flit kamsi widely plus allowed své superb see plné rich trinket plus peněz unattended. Accomplished way sake efficiency zlodějíčka somewhat si sticking plus step up vital standard. Taková them ultimate premise sports The Heist jež byla model sake wants competition One Room One Week , notwithstanding hers cushion somewhat překračuje. Neodhrává to from far within subject quaffs plus them surely komplexnější , than bývá you subscribe way. Now for instance area nearly when manažerský system : sportsman come in to twentieth dollar , subsequent si může slivered. Within winning moneys then within shop to thievish want buyer subsequent whereby along sofistikovanější utensil. At the beginning si může allow now maximálně ladder or hack-saw within iron , afterward youž them environment nearly like agent Å¡pionážního moving picture â€" when nakonec from beneath as well as ultimate handicaps plus straightforwardly safe with utmost worthiness. The Heist them perfektní herein way , that každá succession scene plant has swarm areůzných answers : wall it can be přelézt ladder anebo upilovat grate mainsail harrow. Idem audiovisual presentation is up to highly norma , plus now to není čemu wonder , that The Heist under svém carol OROW win with shinny jump.

I can make a little out of it, but most of it seems confusing. You can get the gist of it, though.

EDIT: It sounds like the website's giving praise to the game. I think the translator's not perfect, though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

AJA

That's nice, and thanks for the "translation" :) ...it's always a bit freaky when you find stuff you've made on a website you've never even heard of.

MadReizka

Quote from: AJA on Wed 07/06/2006 15:43:25
You can blame MadReizka for that. He kept whining that the original one was too damn hard :P (I thought it was a bit too easy as well ::))

Yeah, I suck. I know.
I was too excited with the cutscenes that got stuck in the puzzles.

Oct

RedBlob

Your graphics are beautifully done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk