Trilby's Notes

Started by , Mon 26/06/2006 00:40:28

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Yahtzee presents a brand new game - Trilby's Notes. He says;

"It's a direct sequel to 5 Days A Stranger set four years later, and telling the story of how Trilby re-acquired the idol of John DeFoe prior to launching it into space prior to 7 Days A Skeptic."

The game is parser driven so do expect to be typing quite a few commands!

"Don't hit me. I made it use a text parser for several reasons: (A) because the game is presented as Trilby's written account of the event, so typing commands feels like you're typing up the document or something, (B) as an homage to the AGI and SCI0 Sierra games of yesteryear, and (C) because I've never done a text parser game with AGS before. I had my testers try out the parser exhaustively so hopefully it's somewhat intuitive."

The game can be downloaded from his website, the games page is:
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/notes/

Enjoy :)

T_ed89

I've only been playing it for a half an hour, but i'ts already very scary.
Nice graphics, good music and as always when Yahtzee makes a game, very exciting story.

I was thinking that the typing would be hard, especially for me who doesn't have english as my moderlanguage, but I must say that it works out fine.

skyfire2

I can't wait to try this thing out. I just hope the text parser is big enough.

Traveler

Good start (quite scary, as a matter of fact), but I found mutiple bugs with the game, hopefully there'll be an updated release.

1. The game seems to stuck after quitting. It happens almost every time I quit: notes.exe stays in the process list.

2. The parser is fairly weak: it doesn't recognize a lot of words for things right on the screen and in many cases words have suprising synonyms. "Search" seems to stand for "Open", etc. This is probably the only area that needs more work.

3. There are some minor graphical glitches in the hotel dining room: the back row tables have some walkbehinds messed up: some parts show in front of Trilby.

4. The hand-written font is a bit hard to read. It's not too bad, but it'd be nice to have a bit of antialiasing on the letters or at least have the double pixels removed. This is only nitpicking, though.

Atmosphere-wise, this game is about the scariest game I ever played - it's downright disturbing. I was never a fan of horror and Yahtzee has the ability to tell a story in a way that hair stands up on my back. I thouroughly enjoyed his other games (1213, 5DAS, 7DAS and GFW), so I may come back to this one to finish it.

R4L

I agree with Traveler, there are some problems with the game, but it is down right disturbing. Im also stuck. I have meat, lockpicks and I don't know what to do next, after this part-

Spoiler
after you see defoe killing his retarded son
[close]

edmundito

On this game, I've never been so freaking scared in my life. Mods, some of the music just makes me cry... in fear!  :'(
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

[Cameron]

Just finished. Really dig the atmosphere. Great story. Loved the music by Marky Mark. Neat ending.

TheCheese33

Wow...this is even scarier than 7 Days a Stranger! Another round of sleepless nights, but you've earned them!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

bury100

Wow, amazing game. Astounding storytelling along with unfathomably wondrous graphics and nerve-racking music perfectly present the spine-chilling story. I feel obliged to congratulate you on your success, for this game cannot be spoken of otherwise, and should like to say that this game is nearing the state of art rather than a simple game and should be considered as such. The deep, absorbing plot and the marvellous style in which it is told are the greatest qualities in my personal reckoning, the story-telling being almost reminiscent of the virtuose of Lovecraft himself, the long praised and unrivaled master of horror. I am almost jealous of your undoubtlful skills of speaking of the unnamable and the grotesque. To be concise, great job and keep them coming for your masterworks reawaken the hope of games yet returning in their full glory to reclaim their long since disfigured reputation as not simply games but true states of arts which inspire even the most lucid intellects with their depth and nurturing atmosphere.

Sam.

Just finished it, really great game. The parser added something to the atmosphere, overall a really good productions. Can't wait for the next one!
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

mätzyboy

Played it, and liked it. I remember 5 days a stranger as being scarier though, but maybe my memory fails me. Or maybe I've become tougher with the years... Still an excellent piece, 7/10.

skyfire2

Why couldn't yahtzee post this game instead of m0ds?

Mordalles

Quote from: bury100 on Mon 26/06/2006 17:19:02
Wow, amazing game. Astounding storytelling along with unfathomably wondrous graphics and nerve-racking music perfectly present the spine-chilling story. I feel obliged to congratulate you on your success, for this game cannot be spoken of otherwise, and should like to say that this game is nearing the state of art rather than a simple game and should be considered as such. The deep, absorbing plot and the marvellous style in which it is told are the greatest qualities in my personal reckoning, the story-telling being almost reminiscent of the virtuose of Lovecraft himself, the long praised and unrivaled master of horror. I am almost jealous of your undoubtlful skills of speaking of the unnamable and the grotesque. To be concise, great job and keep them coming for your masterworks reawaken the hope of games yet returning in their full glory to reclaim their long since disfigured reputation as not simply games but true states of arts which inspire even the most lucid intellects with their depth and nurturing atmosphere.

see, yahtzee still post on these forums.  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

m0ds

skyfire, Yahtzee doesn't frequent these boards - maybe there's a history lesson on the AGS Wiki but I'm certainly not going to go into it. I think he prefers the games get picked up and announced by others on these boards, these days. I was just helping things along.

Although I haven't finished the game, I've really enjoyed it! Didn't think my music would fit but some people seem satisfied. It really is a creepy game! LOL, I wasn't expecting it at first and nearly jumped out of my seat :) Congrats to Yahtzee.

DoorKnobHandle

I am not finished yet, but the game is great. First, I wasn't sure whether the text parser was a good idea (I never played ANY game with parser before in my life), but it's great, really. Even adds to the atmosphere at times and makes you sit down and really think: "what in the world could I do now?" instead of trying out random verb-object combinations.

The graphics aren't phenomenal, but they do their job, some of them are just great atmospherically (the red lights in the hotel, the slim, high doors are super scary), but the main strength is the story. Typically Yahtzee. It keeps you on the very edge of your seat, it all fits together and it has also a variety of different aspects and turnarounds to it...

I can't wait to play the fourth game that he did announce, which would completly round up this fantastic and absolutly breathtaking series. Seriously, if I had to name ONE person for the best-AGS-game creator, it would be him, no doubt. So many games with soo much atmosphere, such great stories - it's just 'yahtzee'.

Oh, and Mark, your music is great as well. Man, I was soo freaking shocked the first time. I played it at night with lights out and headphones - I know this wasn't a smart idea, but I thought I had learned from 5das and 7das, but no.

skyfire2

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 26/06/2006 19:10:41
skyfire, Yahtzee doesn't frequent these boards - maybe there's a history lesson on the AGS Wiki but I'm certainly not going to go into it. I think he prefers the games get picked up and announced by others on these boards, these days. I was just helping things along.

Where's the ags wiki?

m0ds

Hyar:

www.americangirlscouts.org/agswiki/

Check "Community and History" then Yahtzee & Yahtzee's Apology.

Then get back on topic ;)

treq

I havent finished the game yet, but the storyline(up until the point I'm at) and music are just brilliant. They flow together really nicely. The only gripe I have about the game is when you ahve to use the text parser to talk to a character. I sort of missed the old 5 days a stranger/7 days a skeptic type point and click method of talking, with the textbox and all.  Anyway that's not a big deal. The storyline more than makes up for it.

Other than that its a great game and I cant wait for the 4rth Trilby game. Is it going to be in space again?

superspanna

Wow! I'm very impressed! Reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Comet, with the spooky atmosphere and black-and-white flashbacks. And Colonel's Bequest, especially asking questions with the text parser. Praise indeed.

oh by the way...
Spoiler
Those whispering voices in the dark world bits? Made me cack my pants. And seriously alarmed my housemate, who was having a nap in the next room and woke up unaware that I was playing on the 'puter
[close]

Bartimaeus

Just finished it, that was a really good game.
The horror is really well executed - My favourite parts are the flashbacks.
Very fun to play overall.
;D
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk