Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

ildu

Umm, what? Are you actually suggesting a topic for the blitz here? You know, there is a particular way in which you'll be able to contribute in the deciding of themes of competitions - It's called winning :D. Sorry to squash your noodle, but really dude...

bradless

ok so i started an activity but it got locked,ok so it said dont start this unless you have permission.  where do i get the permission to start an activity?

bradless

wait wait wait i just found it two seconds after i posted this. sorry.

bradless

Ok so I have an idea.  My idea for an activity is that i take just any ordinary picture from the internet, then i import it into paint.net (a paint program which allows you to save the picture to a jpeg format.)  Paint.net also lets you choose the quality of the picture.  I will choose the lowest quality for the picture and the other people that look at it will guess what it is.

So what do you think?

If you want to see what it would kind of look like,  I accidently posted one already but got it locked.  The picture was a golf ball.

esper

The competition might take a few minutes or a few months... and there's really no sense of competition.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

bradless

Stupot

[1]
I like this idea, Brad,  but it's more of a game than a competition.Ã,  Rather than being set a time limit to come up with something it's just a mere guessing game... but a fun one at that... maybe if you posted such a picture in the general fourm and then the first person to get it right can then make their own such picture, but make sure to keep them in the same thread, otherwise they might end up littering the forum.

[2]
I have an idea for a competition.  Everybody loves cut-scenes, but what about whole movies?.. or at least 10 minutes shorts.  How about using AGS to tell a story based on a loose theme given my the competition starter and winners thereafter, no gameplay allowed but gripping narrative and slick direction required.  I really like this, plase somebody else say it's a good plan!! :)

bradless

I actually like that idea, but there is one problem.

How do you make cutscenes in ags?

Ive benn searching everywhere and i cant figure it out.

Please help me in this category and ill submit in this contest!!!

Stupot

There's a small section on how to make cutscenes in the tutorial:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/acintro7.htm

I'ts basically using the AGS engine to tell the characters to move about and say things, while the player can sit back and just watch.  But you can also have animations and all sorts.

bradless

thanks man.  Yeah but if you start this competition then give them that link so that everyone knows.

Most will probably already know how to though.

But yeah thats a great idea.

Stupot

OK, Here's my Official Competition Request.

* Title of activity
Cutscene Competition

* A thorough description of its concept and purpose
This competition is based on the fact that AGS can be used just aswell for non-playable scenes to tell a story as it can to make the games themselves. Cutscenes would be expected to last longer than 5 minutes.Ã,  The person who sets each contest will decide on a theme.Ã,  The winner will be the person who delivers the most original, sleek, and watchable cutscene of them all and does that best job at sticking to the theme.

* Periodicity (is that a word?... if so, Bravo!)
The contest will last about 4 weeks, but the person setting the contest has the right to shorten or lengthen it depending on how long he/she feels articipants would need.

* Type of competition
There will be a winner.Ã,  after the deadline for entries, the person who set the contest will then announce that voting is to take place.
Anyone can vote, regardless of wether or not they entered, and will be asked to choose their favourite entrant in each of the following categories:

*originality - straying away from the norm
*sleek direction - best use of colours, camera angles, lighting etc
*dialogue - not just best dialogue, but how the dialogue creates atmosphere
*sticking to the theme - does it do what the person who set the contest asked?

* Thread administrator:
I would start the contest and would be the person who announced the voting process and counted up the votes and announced the winner.Ã,  But my crown would be passed on to the first winner, and it would be up to him/her to set the next theme and announce the next voting process, and count up the votes and announce the winner, who would then take his crown.....

Thanks for taking the time to consider my request.

zabnat

So what you are suggesting is basically MAGS with no gameplay?
Some things should be considered:
1. 5 minutes is quite a long time, a lot of good stories can be told in less time.
2. Originality. To get more participants usage of ready-made backgrounds and characters should be allowed. But who would provide these?

He-Man

I also like the cutscene idea. Maybe you should call it movie competition or something since there is no game and the film you produce would technically not be at cutscene.
I agree that 5 minuttes is a long time. There's a big change that the movies will get boring a that length. I would say that 3 minuttes is more than enough. But then again that could also be up to the guy started the competition.
Well, enough of my ranting. I just wanted to say that I like the idea...

nihilyst

I second He-Man. I really like the idea.

FSi++

Will my vote count? If so, I like the cutscene idea, it's like MAGS Jr. (or Chamber MAGS, if you prefer).

Also: music ( ~atmosphere ), shouldn't that be on the list?

Erenan

I agree. I think it's a good idea, and I second the music category.
The Bunker

bradless

yeah i like that idea. for the rules on the time you could make it a minimun of of 2 min. but a maximum of about 5-6 min

CodeJunkie

I really think there isn't enough focus on actually making AGS games.  Sure the activities help, especially things like the BG Blitz and Sprite Jam, but the MAGS is the only regular games activity.

I'm quite aware that the MAGS doesn't get many entries, and I think that's simply due to it being very long and demanding.  Most people work alone, and the motivation to plough in several hours of work a day for a month, with no encouragement (in most cases) and a looming deadline is hard to find.

I'm suggesting a new game making activity similar to the ATC that runs once every 2 months.  A team of 3 people is given 2 weeks to produce a game.  Here is the timeline:

• Day 1: First day of month.  Participants have until the 10th to post in the activity thread to sign up.  All entrants names are collected and teams of 3 are randomly selected.  People may not form their own teams.
  • Day 11: Teams are announced.  Team members are encouraged to contact each other during this time and check that they are still active.  Any members AWOL must be reported by the end of the 12th or the team must make do without.
  • Day 13: Each team is given 2 quite strict sets of guidelines governing game theme, characters, puzzles etc.  Think MAGS but not so broad.  Each team in the competition has been given different guidelines (not sure about this).  Work, and planning, may now begin.  Some teams may prefer to spend more time planning.
  • Day 29: Deadline.  Entries are posted in the activity thread by one team member.
  • Day 30: Voting opens.
  • Day ~ 40 (second month): Voting closes.  Winner announced.

I think this timescale might work quite nicely because people who begin a MAGS entry and give up can still apply to this activity if they are early enough.  With any luck they will have just been using AGS and their graphics/music programs for their MAGS entry so they are well prepared.  This competition differs from the ATC by being shorter and having randomly chosen teams, so hopefully more and less experienced members will be mixed together more evenly.  Newbies will learn from more experienced members and hopefully try their best to keep a high standard, but I'd like to add that this shouldn't be a fiercely competitive activity.

I remember being in an ATC and really enjoying it.  We had a randomised team (since those remamining without a team were grouped up) but had 2 AWOLS, which hopefully should not be able to happen so often here.

gASK

I wasn't sure where to put this so here I am.

I have a question about coloring ball. There has been none for over a month while before the chain was unbroken for some time. It seems that winner of the last one wasn't here since he won.

So I just thought I would bring this to attention since it seemed like a fun activity I could use to improve my inferior drawing skills ;)

radiowaves

Make an ultimate games competition with ultimate teams!
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk