Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Thu 27/07/2006 08:05:42
Well it sounds a bit just like the AGS Team Challenge activities, which never work properly.
Ah, give it a shot. You might like it.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Evil

It won't work out. If you like the idea, just sugjest it for MAGS. It'd be pretty much a one time thing anyway.

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Evil on Thu 27/07/2006 08:41:11
It won't work out. If you like the idea, just sugjest it for MAGS. It'd be pretty much a one time thing anyway.
Well okay then, I hereby suggest it as a MAGS.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Radiant

If we are to make MAGS suggestions... I think it'd be cool to have a MAGS game with multiple playable characters and cooperative puzzle solving, like in Gobliins2 or Maniac Mansion. Just my $.2

Dan_N

Ok, it might not seem right to suggest something when I'm just a "cub" here, but I have an ideea. I didn't see it arround so I guess it hasn't been done.

Here we go...

Title: Monthly Character's Background
General description: This competition isn't educational so I guess it's entertaining. It's a writing contest. It is fairly simple, a character's name and a hypothetical game setting where he is now is given. An entry must contain the background of a character, how he got where he is and a description of his personality which is relevant to the current setting and somewhat representative of the name. Also, limit as to "how far back" can an entrant go may be provided.
Periodicity: Every month, on the 2nd, the rules will be announced. The deadline is the 25th. Or it can vary, the point is that it is supposed to be a monthly thing.
Type of competition: The winner will be decided one person every time. (hopefully me, or someone with good writing skills, not saying that I don't have good writing skills) The winner gets to set the setting, name, and period for the next month.
Thread administrator: The winner of the previous month will host the second month. If he can't, then the runner-up. The judge should remain the same.

So, that's my ideea. It's a writing contest, so it should permit creativity to flourish. I know my age, so please don't let that stop you from at least considering my ideea.

Stee

How about YAGS? Same as MAGS but goes on for a year, to encourage bigger and more games to apply. The Winner gets to do the following years etc.
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Phemar

Stee I think that's called the AGS awards ...

Stee

Quote from: Zor on Mon 11/09/2006 15:33:12
Stee I think that's called the AGS awards ...

Fair enough, but the ags awards isnt specific, such as design a game with two or more playable characters in which one is a giatn mushroom, etc which Mags does have.. Or Does it?...  :o
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Gilbert

I think people are more happy making their own games than making a game with restrictive rules which process spans a whole year.

Stee

Fair point, just thought it was worth a shot. There must be at least a few people who would be interested. Its just that I noticed how some people never seem to hit the deadline for mags and its a shame because some late mags games are quite good. If not a year, then maybe a competition thats slightly longer than mags. Just my two cents.

neelhound

The acid art

A destructive acid-force has come to town.People have to make an animation on a way to destroy it.

Nacho

Quote from: neelhound on Wed 25/10/2006 14:54:02
The acid art

A destructive acid-force has come to town.People have to make an animation on a way to destroy it.

Sounds like "Animation competition" to me, but with a random and silly topic.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

neelhound

not really, there is a trick to it. There is something that needs to be figured out. I won't tell you yet...
But oh well, you probably think its stupid. You all think everything I say is stupid, and you all think i am stupid, because i am 13. Then you will say 'you never listen to what we say' but i do. But i am not complaining, i dont want an argument...

Candall

How can there be a "trick" to an animation competition?  The point is to be creative and make a good production, not to stumble onto something out of luck.

Gosh... what's the point of starting an argument if you've just had one with yourself?Ã,  I think you're safe.

Nacho

But how the hell did you want us to know that the goal of the competition is to guess the way the host has thought of solluting the problem, if you don't tell us? Do you think we have a crystal ball or something?

You post links to your hard drive... I guess you expect that somehow we penetrate into it and look the screenies.
You want us to read a book you haven't typed. I guess you expect somehow we teleport into your home and read the manuscrit.
And now you want us to read your mind... I think you are not in the correct forum. You should go to http://www.superheroesrus.com/yabb
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

FSi++

What about an hourgame competition? More like crapgame competition, though. It would run like MSPaint one: person makes a crapgame, posts it and makes a rule for the next game.

Elric

I would suggest a new competition in the lights of sprite jam and background blitz. A solution in between actually.

A competition where you compose and paint a character/scene in high-res/low-res (whatever). Sprite jam is too restrictive with the color and size limit and background blitz is all about a functional background, and as such there is no room for character creation and scene-playout. I realise it will take time to create such an image, but this works fine in the bg blitz. I've seen some beautiful character images from Mashy and some other people, so I know there is the possibility for multiple entries.

True, it's not quite relevant to the game-production theme going on in the forums but it's a great practice method and it can work as concept for a general scene from a game. Think as an example, the painting of a girl who could be the protagonist in a game, or a scene from a game, featuring a knight holding his sword ready to strike. Maybe a mythical beast or a homeless man asking for money.

some examples (though a bit advanced but well in the spirit of the competition) :
http://madeliene.republika.pl/black-unicorn.jpg
http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/reference/images/cold-one-knight.jpg

Farewell Friend, for I was a thousand times more evil than thou.

Ashen

The colour/size limits in Sprite Jam are set by whoever sets the rules, so if you don't like 'em, win it and don't set any...

The rest of the suggestion sounds like the occasionally held (but not for quite some time) 'Artitude' activity (old example). If there was enough interest, no doubt another round of that could be organised.
(Note: I don't think this is the place to drum up that interest, though.)
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Tocsik

Maybe Its a moot point but, I'd like to see the return of the colouring contest. It is my understanding that it was killed for lack of intrest though.

Mikko

Andail @ General discussion:
Quote- - Colouring ball is basically sprite jam "light"; a shortcut around the initial step of creating a sprite, and beside its, imho, fundamental flaws, it never caught much attention anyway. - -

"Not enough attention" is what I've been most surprised to see being said as a reason to end CB. It was almost constantly two pages with more than 10 entries, so I think it was fairly popular when compared to other competitions.

What comes to being "Sprite Jam Light", I can't see why that is such a big deal either? SJ might be more demanding, but I think CB wasn't stepping on it's toes in any way.

"Shortcut"? Having a ready-made lineart doesn't mean you should use the fill tool and make an entry in 10 seconds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk