MAGS July: Emerald

Started by Klaus, Sat 01/07/2006 04:37:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material that you already created before this competition, you game must be completely new!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first sight this month's guidelines, set by JetXL, seem to be very strict but they offer countless ways on how your game idea may develop:

Topic: Emerald

1. The intro should be black & white. (Whether this is a dream sequence or not, or only b&w in the intro is up to the maker)
2. The intro displays a murder. (This can be comedic or not)
3. The murder victim last words or message has to be "Emerald".
4. The murder weapon must later be an inventory item in the game.
5. The maker has to explain why the victim's last words or message was "Emerald" within the story.
6: The main character must have an addiction. (Can be candy, cocaine or otherwise)

Sounds very cineastic you say? A déjà -vu? Maybe :) Give it a try but it has to be a game, not a movie. There are no other restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in by July 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

R4L

Can we make the whole thing black and white, or noir? I think I might enter this.

Klaus

Quote from: Rap4Life42o on Sat 01/07/2006 05:25:07
Can we make the whole thing black and white, or noir? I think I might enter this.
Yes, that's possible.

sergiocornaga

Do the victim's last words have to be just 'emerald' or can that just be the last word, as in 'hide the emerald'?

R4L

Im going to enter Klaus.

EDIT:My game is entitled The Emerald.

DinghyDog

Hmmm...it sounds like good fun. Let's see if I can finally get around to entering a goddamn MAGS.
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

Bartimaeus

This is an awesome topic.
Hmmm..
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

Klaus

Quote from: SergioCornaga on Sat 01/07/2006 07:22:55
Do the victim's last words have to be just 'emerald' or can that just be the last word, as in 'hide the emerald'?
From my point of view it should just be "Emerald". Else it wouldn't be that cryptic anymore...

sergiocornaga

True, I was just checking if I could bend the rules a little.

Phemar

Just out of curiosity, who set the rules this month?

Privateer Puddin'

As said in the original post, JetXL

Klaus

JetXL won the MAGS competition in May, so he's the "previous" winner - just as usual. We only made a hop over the anniversary contest.

Phemar

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up!

Sinitrena

I'll probably enter. The rules sound very interissting and I think I have a good idea. My game will be called "Emerald Eyes".

Cluey

I will enter with a character I've been thinking of for a while, Scratch Cat.
The game shall be titled "SCRATCH CAT in THE EMERALD CONSPIRACY"
Twill be good:P
Aramore
My webcomic.

Puppet Master

Hey, I know I'm new here but, this sounds like very good rules and so I am entering this MAGS.

Sinitrena

Emerald Eyes

"It all startet with a dream. I saw myself - standing in front of a swimming bath. I felt strange. I felt strong. I felt the desire to kill. I knew my victim. She was in there. She had to die, she had to drown. Water was the first element. I couldn't stop myself. I had to kill..."

Get it here.

Enjoy

Klaus

Hey Sinitrena - that's timing :-) At this moment I wanted to post this:
A long time without any new posts in this thread. So let me remind you of the deadline. Please submit your entries within the next 36 hours from now (see timestamp of this message). Then the voting will begin.

R4L

Oh shit...

Klaus idk if my entry will be ready in time. I was hoping to finish it before the deadline but not sure if that will happen.

FSi++

Am I not late?
Anyway, see this:
(it's temporary hosting, so if one will dare to place it somewhere, I'd be VERY grateful)

Mon Cul!
Just Another Zombie Adventure Game by FSi.

Spoiler

You were sitting in your office behind the desk when suddenly a man came in.
No knocking, nothing. He had a knife in his hand and before you react he was standing behind you with a knife on your neck.
[close]

Here's screenshot:

And here's link:
http://slil.ru/22955027 (about 1 mb)

Attention: the game might not be suitable for children younger than... lemme think... 16?..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk