MODULE: Panorama v1.6

Started by Kweepa, Sat 29/07/2006 19:14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

td

I like panorama module! And has created some demo for testing...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MHNGHGQP

Kweepa

Bump for v1.4 which now supports Cylindrical panorama images.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

LimpingFish

Whoo! I didn't even know this was in the pipeline!

Great work as usual, Steve. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

td

Yay!!! :D At last! I can not wait the days off to try my Cylindrical backgrounds!...

td

Distortion.
I thought it was because of i used cubic panorama, but in cylindric panorama distortion effect is stll appear!
So i have a two questions:
1) Why SCream engine haven't distortion effect?
2) I use 640x480 res. Exists some method how i can smooth distortion???

Kweepa

What do you mean by distortion? Can you post a screenshot? Is this distortion present in LimpingFish's game?

1) Scream uses high res, high res textures, and hardware texturemapping. That's why it's much cleaner looking than this.

2) 640x480/800x600 won't make the horizontal steps any smoother, because the background is broken into 2 pixel wide columns in that case, due to a design feature of AGS.

EDIT: Hmm, I have thought of a way to make 640x480 smoother horizontally, using columns that are one pixel of texture and one pixel of transparency. It'll require some mucking around to automatically massage the data, but it should be relatively easy. It'll probably be 2-3x slower though.

td

Steve,
panorama looks like "the player looks through figured glass". For example Adventure Maker panorama plugin (not module(?)) looks more smooth, WHY??? Can u create more smooth panorama like in AM???

Kweepa

Again, can you post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?
Does the problem manifest itself in Heartland Deluxe or the demo posted above?

LimpingFish

I think what td is getting at it the slight "rippling" effect inherent in the 2px wide method.

Which, unfortunately for td I guess, is just how the module works. I don't really have a problem with it.

Adventure Maker uses, as far as I know, a different technique, which, from what I can gather from looking at AM, uses a far higher resolution for each section of the panorama (the demo AM panorama game uses a number of 2000x2000+ images to make up a single room, so I presume it handles the maths a little different to Steve's module).

Like I said, I'm happy with the current performance of the module, and if slightly smoother scrolling can only be achieved with a loss of framerate, then I'm content to stay with it as is.

Candle

QuoteI. Creating the pictures for the 360-degree panorama

In order to create a panoramic game, you need panoramic pictures. Panoramic pictures are pictures obtained by projecting the 3D world on a surface.

To see an example of high-resolution (2048x2048), 3D-rendered panoramic picture for use with Adventure Maker, click the following link: panoramic_picture1.jpg

Adventure Maker supports the pictures obtained by projecting the 3D world on a cylinder. That kind of projection is very common, and is called "cylindrical panoramic projection". Other types of projections exist (spherical, cubic...), but they are currently not supported by Adventure Maker.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/360_degree_panorama.htm

td

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Fri 01/06/2007 01:42:09
Again, can you post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?
Does the problem manifest itself in Heartland Deluxe or the demo posted above?

Here is my image:

This is window mode 640x480.
Yes the problem manifest itself in Heartland Deluxe and in the demo posted above.
It's "rippling" effect appear because "640x480/800x600 won't make the horizontal steps any smoother,..., due to a design feature of AGS?
Steve maybe u can make cubic panorama plugin like in PicMak engine or SCream engine? This method haven't rippling effect at all. I think it's possible because u made 3D plugin!

td

Quote from: Candle on Fri 01/06/2007 10:20:37
QuoteI. Creating the pictures for the 360-degree panorama

In order to create a panoramic game, you need panoramic pictures. Panoramic pictures are pictures obtained by projecting the 3D world on a surface.

To see an example of high-resolution (2048x2048), 3D-rendered panoramic picture for use with Adventure Maker, click the following link: panoramic_picture1.jpg

Adventure Maker supports the pictures obtained by projecting the 3D world on a cylinder. That kind of projection is very common, and is called "cylindrical panoramic projection". Other types of projections exist (spherical, cubic...), but they are currently not supported by Adventure Maker.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/360_degree_panorama.htm

I think all have read it a long time ago...

Kain

Well, the module would be great, if ANY of the links worked... Can someone plz post a new link with the file for download? Not a steporg one, these tend to brake eventually...

Also need a working link for the SCream engine, if possible...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

.M.M.

I have problem with UpdateCharacter(object).If I use action Use inv. item sometimes it do nothing-it is because plugin do action UpdateCharacter "only" 40x in 1 second... :-[

Kain

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Wed 01/08/2007 21:35:29
Sorry for the delay. Here you go - mirror.

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Panorama14.zip
Thanx, but it doesen't open. I download it instantly (rare thing with a dial-up) and the zip file is damaged. I tried downloaded with GetRight, too, but the zip file is 0 byte and empty...

Any ideas?  ???

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Sorry about that, it seemed to have uploaded incorrectly. Here's the new link (can't delete the old one, 'twould seem), tested:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Panorama1_4.zip
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Dualnames

I'm going to use panorama module for my next game, and I'm wondering. How do you use the face location function on it? My game is object based it's not using new strings , and res is 320-240. I've tried Set angle function. It works though only useful in before fade in, because it reacts kinda slow. For example I've made a cutscene script I added Set angle after the Start Cutscene then added a wait(40); loops then a dialog, a big one. Then end cutscene. Set angle function works a little bit before end cutscene. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks anyways. I really hope the above makes some sense. Nice and impressive module by the way.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Brad Newsom

Sorry if I had missed something. Does this module support bottom/top images so you can look up or down? If not, it still will work to my advantage.

EDIT: Also, whats the basic image ratio for a panoramic? Plus, what is the maximum resolution for the image?

LimpingFish

Up/Down support isn't included.

Regardless of the resolution you intend to use, the panorama is four times the width of the screen. The image ratio is 1:1 square.

The horizontal FOV of each of the four images must be 90 degrees, with the focal ratio set to 0.5, or else the effect won't work.

So if you're making a 320x240 game, your panoramic background would be 1280x320. 640x480, in my opinion the optimum resolution to use, would result in an image that is 2560x640. 800x600 would be 3200x800.

In my experience, 800x600 will cause significant slowdown on lesser systems (sub P4 2ghz).

If you're using AGS 3.*, the module, due to the nature of how it works, requires the game to run in DirectDraw 5 mode.

Using Direct 3D 9 will result in non-playable framerates.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk