MODULE: Panorama v1.6

Started by Kweepa, Sat 29/07/2006 19:14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

Bump for new version that supports animated backgrounds.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

LimpingFish

Great to see a new version of this, Steve! :D

Giving it a go right now.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

mode7

This is a great plugin. Thinking of the possibilities makes my head dizzy.
Just some questions: Is it possibly to have an object rotating like the BG (when I make objects they just stay on their screen position) and would it be even possibly to make them distort like the bg?

Another idea: The animation feature works really awesome: The only thing is, that it would need ALOT of diskspace (somewhere around 100mb per background)
Is there a possibility to draw a frame of an ogv file as a bg animation sprite?

m0ds

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 03/07/2009 18:47:30
Glad to see you're still supporting this, Steve. :)

It's a shame that more games don't utilize this excellent module. It really is easy to use, folks!

Sure, just not so easy to create the 3d background in a semi pro looking style :P

Anyway I've been playing with this, it's fun - but I have two small problems.

Firstly - my hotspots. I don't quite understand the explanation in the help TXT file. I've got my hotspots to react to where the player is looking fine, but if I want a GUI to display the name of the current hotspot, I can only get it to display that when the mouse is over the same portion of screen - meaning - if I move the mouse over a hotspot before turning anywhere, it's there, if I turn 180 degrees and move the mouse over the same area of the screen, the GUI @OVERHOTSPOT@ is still registering it as there even when it's in the a different direction, make sense? How do I fix that?

Secondly - I have found a way to keep objects and characters in the right place for when you move around. This works a treat however when the room first loads, it's putting the objects on the screen, and I have to turn round to face where they should be before they stay locked in that position. I've set the x/y co-ords before room fades in in an attempt to make sure it is placed elsewhere on the wide backround, but alas the object still appears floating waiting for me to turn to the right location before it stays locked there. How can I fix that?

Many thanks.

M

Kweepa

Ah, shoot, sorry mode7, I totally missed your questions.
You can totally have objects rotate with the background. That should be documented in the help file.
If you want them to distort correctly, you'd be better off rendering them to the background (and updating the BG image if they are added/removed).
I don't have any plans to make the BG a video, no.

m0ds,
I'll have to check the source code for the hotspots, but if I remember correctly, they should just work.
Actually, it might be best if you could upload your work directory and I'll take a look at the problems.
The fade in might be best handled separately (change fade in transitions to instant, then fake the fade on top).

m0ds

Hi Steve, sure, here it is:
http://www.screen7.co.uk/junc/panotest.rar

Issue 1 - When you run it, you'll notice a hovering object (Screwdriver) on the left side of the screen, but if you start turning, it will jump to where it's supposed to be and stay there. How do I stop it from appearing in the wrong place on room load?

Issue 2 - Hit F9, now move the mouse over the map. Clicking on it (in Look at) is fine, no matter what position the panorama is at. But the GUI at the bottom which has a label to display @OVERHOTSPOT@ only shows "Map" when the mouse is far to the right and two thirds up the screen, whether the map is visible or not - as if it's always using its position on a 320x240 screen.

See what I mean? Many thanks. M

PS - fade? Long day sir? I didn't mention fades :P

Kweepa

Hmm, this game has somehow gotten corrupted so that nothing I do makes any difference - I can write all kinds of garbage into the scripts and it will pretend to compile them, but not throw any errors.
Try writing dghkfhgsafhsk in the script and see if it compiles.
You might want to just start again :(

Issue 1 - if you use Panorama.UpdateObject(object[0], 913, 137) in the room's repeatedly_execute_always it should be invisible when off screen.

Issue 2 - I don't think @OVERHOTSPOT@ works (LimpingFish might remember!). You'll probably have to write your own in the global script's repeatedly_execute function.

Code: ags

desc.Text = Game.GetLocationName(Panorama.GetBackgroundXForScreenX(mouse.x), Panorama.GetBackgroundYForMouseXY(mouse.x, mouse.y));

m0ds

Thank you sir, I'll give your ideas a whirl asap :)

LimpingFish

I never used objects on-screen, but for both Heartland and Unbound the @OVERHOTSPOT@ worked fine when is was used on a GUI. :-\

If memory serves, I used the 1.2 version of the module.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Adrian

Does this module also support continouos 2d scrolling? I mean rotating but not tilting or distorting? Like in the looping room in "The Dig" for example.

anouar

the link is dead can i have a nzw one :D

anouar

InfernalGrape

Hi. I found out about this module, and it convinced me to try AGS alltogether.

(thanks Mehrdad for mirroring the lastest version)

But there are some questions i would like to ask before rushing into learning how to use it.

1) For "cylindrical panoramas" this is still a solution to use in Adventure Game Studio, as since then modules/plugins that are more "up to date" with similar functionality haven't appeared, right?
2) Two most known example games i found are Heartland Deluxe and Unbound,and in both it was just one room with panoramic view/interaction. But can you do several rooms and connect them via trigger or movement system?
3) Also would like to check other games/projects that used it to see what people have done with the module. I tried to search on website, but didn't really find much (and there is not a system of "tags" in game database that would help me find "1st person view" or "pre-render 3d" projects). So i have to ask if anyone can direct me to ones.

I have plans to make a game similar to Myst or, maybe, Queensrÿche's Promised Land. So it would be first person view adventure game where your go through different locations and perhaps solve puzzles (with inventory or not) and/or talk to NPC.
So i'd think such could be achievable with AGS & modules, hopefully. For 3D pre-render part of question, i'm an enthusiast of Bryce 3D so i'm ok with "480p" retro 3D baked into panorama (or even simple backgrounds with arrow navigation).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk