"Breakfast" info

Started by Pesty, Tue 10/12/2002 07:00:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

Okay, I'm finally going to make a topic here explaining the wierd ass game I'm making. Be wary, it's a lot of stuff.

The backstory of the game is this: The player character is Pancake, the name Finneas Jones (a character from my now dead novel) gave herself when she couldn't remember her real one due to raving lunacy. She based the name off of pancake makeup, because she has a crazy obsession with clowns. Because of her clownophilia, she's being kept in an insane asylum called the Crazee House, which is run by a serial killer old man named Hickory St.James.

These evil clowns (which I do realize are a tad cliched, but I promise not to use many evil space clown stereotypes) come to Earth from space and use a ray from their evil clown car to turn everyone and everything in the world nonsensical and insane. Unfortunately for the evil clowns, now that everything around them is insane, the people who are already insane can now function relatively normally.

The game starts in Pancake's room in the Crazee House. There will be several different 'worlds'  that will have no sensible transition between each, due to everything being all crazy, including locations and time. Each world will have one puzzle to finish to get to the next world. Also, I hope to have Pancake's outfit will change for each world, like Kyrandia 2.

I hope to plan out two endings for the game depending on how you have Pancake react to certain people, one ending good and the other not so much. And maybe if I'm feeling up to it, I'll do a Scooby Doo ending. I already have some of the puzzles outlined, I have a ton of production art of characters and backgrounds. I figure I'll get everything planned out and drawn up before I actually begin putting it together in AGS, since I have yet to learn enough of the programming. The intro and cutscenes will be done in Flash, and possibly the backgrounds as well (because every background I've done in Flash has turned out better than the ones I've done in PSP).

I think that's it. I hope that's it. I don't feel like typing anymore.  Because that's a lot of stuff, most of it probably useless to anyone but me. Yarrr.

Edit:
I have now decided that instead of the cliched evil clown I am going to use the cliched evil ninja. Also, the name has changed (because I did not like the original name which I have effectively edited out so no one knows my shame) to "Breakfast".

Progress is slow because I lost all of my previous work in a hard drive format, but never fear! I will never give up on my dear project.

In other pleasant news, OTG is doing me the nicest favor of making some backgrounds for me. So at least the backgrounds will look nice!

July 9th:
I have the front walking animation of Pancake done finally.

Normal:

I'll try to have the rest of the directions done soon enough. And I'll see if I can get a screencap up, too.

July 13th:
Fixed the walking animation. Having some trouble with the rooms, or I would have a screenshot or two finally. I'll try next update.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Squinky

Heh, this sounds pretty damn cool...

Pesty

Just a bump to say that I've updated the game info some. Hopefully I'll be able to post some screenshots soon, or at least something to show what it'll look like.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Rincewind

Sounds really insane to me. And crazee. But that's a very good thing in this case... ;D Hehe...

Trapezoid

I must've missed this post the first time around. But I look forward to any game you make, Pesty, I know it'll be complete lunacy. And I hope you keep at least some little bits of Pancake's clownlust. I think clownlust is really funny.

PS, the proper word for "clownophilia" is "coulrophilia". Just so you know. I don't know if there's any proper word for ninjalust though.

Pesty

Quote from: Trapezoid on Wed 09/07/2003 00:05:12
PS, the proper word for "clownophilia" is "coulrophilia". Just so you know. I don't know if there's any proper word for ninjalust though.

Wow! There's a real name for it! Now the ninja HAS to have some sort of terrifying clown minion. Just so I can use that word.

Pesty

I hate doing two posts in a row, but I have updated the original post with a little bit of artwork.

Meowster

Oh. My. God. That is so awesomely wicked! Wish I could do sprites like that. Love the character, love the game, can't wait for it :) :) Pancake seems like a real cool lass, unlike some pink-n-pretty female 'characters' I could mention... she's a cool chick, albeit one with cronic headlice :)

Dave Gilbert

Heya Pesty.  Your game sounds nifty - very original.  And Pancake is a cute character!  Although she kind of looks like she's dancing instead of walking. Maybe it'll look different when she moves across the screne...

evilspacefart

Nice anims Pesty!
Pancake is definitely not from the average strain of females represented in most games, even though shes pretty hot for a crazy girl. Makes her unique.  (<- spelling?)

I think the arms should be the opposite of the legs when they extend instead of the same. So it looks less like dancing.

(my small ugly explanation)

Otherwise, awesome concept and great gfx! Looking forward to this. The ladies of AGS are making some really interesting games.

(Hmmm... The Ladies of AGS 2003 calendar anyone?)

Jimi

looking good. I like the game.

Pesty

I forgot to mention that I fixed the walk animation so it looks more like walking (I hope).

Pesty

WanderLady

Both backgrounds are beautiful...

Trapezoid

Wooh! Awesome artwork.
I'm really looking forward to this, when will it be done?

Ginny

This sounds really interesting, can't wait to see more! :)

I like the concept of crazy ppl turning normal when everything else goes crazy ;D
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

MachineElf

I like that character. A little odd walking animation, but it kinda suits her. Mind if my avatar takes her on a date sometime?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sorry, just a couple random comments from a lurker but--

I really like annie's background graphic. Creepy times.

Also, a timing thing-- Pancake's hair shouldn't swing out in sync with her foofalls. Her hair is a trailing action; its swing should be delayed from her body's movement, i.e. I think it might look best if her hair were instead swinging behind her at the frames where you currently have it swinging outwards, and vice versa.

I dunno, maybe give it a shot if you've got the time.

what I mean is her hair should be at it furthest point when her foot is halfway between its highest and lowest point. Just to clarify.

WanderLady

Hi Pestilience,

Just wondering if you could tell us how things are going with the game.

Pesty

Quote from: WanderLady on Tue 09/12/2003 20:31:50
Hi Pestilience,

Just wondering if you could tell us how things are going with the game.

This game has been put on hold for another game I'm working on with Sylpher. I was stalled for months with this one because of lack of inspiration. It will get finished, though. I can guarantee that. But not until the new game is done.

Thanks for the interest, though! Knowing some people care helps me want to get it done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk