Background Blitz: August 27th - September 6th [Winner: HillBilly]

Started by ildu, Sun 27/08/2006 04:11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

ildu

Again, I made this blitz only one and a half weeks long. The deadline really does reign over than the amount of time given. Hopefully this won't be a problem for anyone. However, if someone does have a problem with it, I'll be happy to shove the deadline a bit further to make a full two weeks of dev time. And, if there aren't enough entries until the designated date, I'll extend the deadline as I see fit. The same goes for the amount of votes.

RAILWAY[/font]
[/b]
Inspiration:

Guidelines:

Create a background that in some way contains or represents the topic, railway. It could be a classic industrial revolution train station or even a futuristic space-age monorail. The only thing that matters is that the topic is represented as concisely as possible. And remember, creativity is a really big plus. It is possible to succeed even with only a great idea. So let your mind fly and let's make this bg blitz an exceptionally fruitful one.

Specifications:

Max resolution: 640x480
Palette: Unlimited.

Voting:

Voting will commence on the 6th of September and will be closed at midnight (GMT) on that date. Please give one vote in each of the following categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative, etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, a good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits, etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

HillBilly

A poor shack is the victim of progress. And nobody cares.

ildu

Floskfinger

I don't recognize all of the games in your poster... Could you tell me the names of the games?
I know it's probebly i bit off topic but my curiosity got the better of me :)
Dancing madly backwards on the sea of air...

ildu

From left to right, up to down:

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
2. Murder on the Orient Express (due out in september/october)
3. The Last Express
4. Escape from Monkey Island
5. Escape from Delirium
6. Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
7. Grim Fandango
8. Gene Machine
9. Syberia 2
10. 3 Skulls of the Toltecs
11. Curse of Monkey Island
12. The Westerner
13. The Last Express

Tocsik

In post-apocalyptic Philadelphia SEPTA's orange line sits abandoned; a derelict subway in a derelict city.

Privateer Puddin'

Unfinished becase i didn't like how it was turning out, but was trying to do it reasonably quickly so i'll leave it as is.  Meant to be a land slide as a train was going above it, or something. :D

raddicks

In a not so distant future, war has tainted the world, to the point where the skies are raining ash and the sewers are stained from the bodies of those who have died from a mysterious plague...

ildu

Five great entries in only two days of competition. This is turning out great :D.

biothlebop

Mind the speed limits or you might just float off.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

grinder

Wow. You had a composition idea very similiar to mine, yet you realized it much cooler than me. You have my respect)

YicklePigeon

I could have kept on working on this for another day or so adding those "finishing touches".  But I also wanted to be done by the 6th, so I decided to stop before I added too much.  There is a list of things I wanted to add, could have added, but knew I'd have spent days - nay weeks - getting it *just right*.  So here is the image, designed to be a horizontal scrolling background.

Regards,

Yickle.

EDIT REASON: Just noticed my background didn't conform to the resolution specifications, this has now been rectified via cropping...and you know what? Looks even better now! :D
Woof woof.

ildu

Right! Voting will begin in exactly 18 hours. So, if there are any more entries, I suggest you put them in soon. Voting starts at midnight (GMT).

Clip

Here comes a last-minute-entry.
It's a train station located somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Regards,
Clip

nihilyst

Ok, here's a short bullshit one. Don't know how THAT should work in a game, but hell ...

2x

cheers
nihilyst

ildu

Clip, nihilyst...greatness.

You still have 5½ hours until voting starts. Will there be a 10th entry? No one knows. What's behind curtain number 1? I'm still waiting for you, Rustvaar, to claim your prize for technique :D.

Anyways, if anyone needs any extra time, we can push the voting forward by a few hours. Just PM me.

Buckethead

maybe I'm gonna make a 10 min entry for best idea  :)

EDIT:

OK disquisting entry, pure for idea and fun (it's a wicked railroad rollercoaster btw)

Don't trow up and laugh if you want to.  :P

vict0r

Tuomas

Took me an hour. Ildu made me do it and I was bored. I guess I could do better, but hey, this rocks your teacup... I need food

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk