MAGS September: Retroparanoia

Started by Klaus, Mon 04/09/2006 10:57:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

Quote from: FSi on Sat 16/09/2006 18:24:31
Can I still enter?
September 26th is set as deadline. If you post your entry before everything's okay...

Quote from: FSi on Sat 16/09/2006 18:24:31
Could it be RON game or must I create all characters from scratch?
Hm... The rules will be set much clearer and more strict in the next guidelines. Now for this one: You might already have read that free stuff (graphics/sound/...) may be use but selfmade would be better. So you can go with the RON sprites.

Mikko

Quote from: Klaus on Mon 04/09/2006 10:57:20
As Mikko didn't replay in a while this month's guidelines are set by FSi, the second winner of last month's competition.
Here I am again. :)

As I replied earlier to Klaus, I did not expect to win and therefore didn't come up with new guidelines before leaving home for three weeks in Budapest. Anyway, sorry for that and I hope that the competiton didn't suffer from this. :)

Many thanks to everyone who voted for me and as soon as I get my things together again, I'll continue working on Clown at the Circus.

FSi++

No-no-no, I'm not using RON sprites (they won't fit in the rules, right?), I'm just wanted to use Mika, but paint her from scratch (to save the time and not thinking of her name, background, etc - see Mika Huy (despite her surname's obscenity) is, I think, a bit better than average Jane Jackson or whoever).
But again, I'm not using any pre-made stuff (except maybe some music) and painting everything from scratch.

Klaus

Quote from: FSi on Sun 17/09/2006 18:18:49
I'm not using RON sprites (they won't fit in the rules, right?), I'm just wanted to use Mika, but paint her from scratch
Ah! In that case I see no problems at all... Good luck :)

Dan_N

Umm... Klaus, this might sound like a down-right stupid thing to ask, but do you know how long it takes from when you add your game to when it appears on the AGS database? I mean, does it get the "spyware scrub" or something and how long does it take? This would help me plan my work better. Thanks in advance.

Erenan

If you mean the actual AGS database on this site, then unless I'm losing my mind it should appear immediately after you add it. You don't upload the game files to the database, after all. The database is just a collection of information and links when you get right down to it.

If you mean the MAGS page, Klaus seems to get the games on there pretty quickly, usually within a day of posting the game here.

Anyway, as long as you post your game before the deadline, your game should be included in the voting with no trouble.
The Bunker

Buckethead

I'm pretty sure I won't make the deadline because I barely have time to work on my game. Is it Ok (and with ok , i mean does it count as an entry) if I post it here anyway? It has 16 colors but only 1 of the 5 needed inventory items. I do have to time to turn it into a demo maybe but it won't include those items.

Klaus

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Wed 20/09/2006 18:46:10
do you know how long it takes from when you add your game to when it appears on the AGS database?
Erenan already told you all about it (thanks). Do you have a place where to store your game then? There's a number of services out there and you can also check this thread.

Quote from: Buckethead on Wed 20/09/2006 19:15:49
Is it Ok (and with ok , i mean does it count as an entry) if I post it here anyway? It has 16 colors but only 1 of the 5 needed inventory items.
Hm... Of course you can post it here and it will also be listed on the MAGS site then but as it doesn't fit the guidelines there might be a problem in counting it as a full entry. Last month's winner was a demo too but it had all required elements in it.
Okay now: It's fair enough that you're telling us that the game will not be complete and won't fit all of the guidelines. So when it comes to voting let's make this clear again and may the voters decide then... Okay!? This question goes to all of you :)

Buckethead

I guess I'll just post it here and see what will happen then  :)

JuuL

Quote from: Klaus on Wed 06/09/2006 15:07:30
Well, an announced game doesn't mean by default that it also turns into an entry in the end...
Just realised a few days ago that Klaus was right. I'm not going to be able to finish the game I had planned... that must have been the third MAGS game I have begun working on without finishing it. I guess my plan was just too ambitious for a newbie like me. Some good advice to myself and anybody else in my situation (I know I'll have to remember this the next time):
- Never actually post anything about making a game before you're relatively sure that you'll be able to finish it.
- Think small. "How do I meet the demands of the rules and make an interesting game using as few rooms, characters etc. as possible?"
- Ignore optional rules.

I guess that was it. I might try and make a game next month if the rules are interesting. But hopefully it will be more than just trying next time.

Buckethead

post what you have so far... atleast that's what I'm doing.  :)

JuuL

Quote from: Buckethead on Sat 23/09/2006 12:54:21
post what you have so far... atleast that's what I'm doing.  :)
I would, but though I have finished almost all the graphics I haven't had the time to actually make a much of a game with them   :(

FSi++

So, the game's ready.
It's called RON: Sixteen.
It features:
- Mika
- Yahtzee
- Captain Mostly (not graphically, though)
- Table that follows you everywhere
- and myself.

Hooray! Release!

Screenshot (640x400):
http://fsi3rd.smtp.ry/16-scr.jpg
Here lies "Release":
http://fsi3rd.smtp.ru/16release.rar
Still report bugs (fsi2ndSPAMMERSSUCK@BIGJUICY****S!gmail.com - removing the part about spammers involved in oral sex action)

Buckethead

Quote from: FSi on Sat 23/09/2006 18:08:55
this is an entry.

yay an entry  :D

Anyway here's my piece of game:

http://rapidshare.de/files/34176106/ZTO.zip.html

It's 1337kb  so it must own, right?  :P

ExoTek

I played (well, tried but didn't finished cause I'm stucked!) RON: Sixteen.
FSi asked to report the bugs, well it is possible to pick up the toilette paper more than once even if you already have it...

Except for that (and the fact that I'm stucked!) it is a nice little game.
- Just another lucky guy.

Klaus

So the final day is reached. If you want to enter please submit your game within the next 17 hours (see timestamp of this post). Then the voting will begin!

charliechuck

Here's my entry,

Don Spillacy's Conspiracy Quest

Screenshot

I too nearly ran out of time so the ending is rushed and not how I wanted it. It is a complete game, although there are some inventory items that don't disappear when they should, small spelling mistakes etc. I had a lot of fun doing this, but it's a lot of work in such a short space of time.

Good luck to all the other entrants.

Dan_N

With a tail between my legs and shame in my fingers, I must admit that I didn't manage to finish Cryo Quest part 1... I got as far as two rooms... Damn! I've been here four months and haven't done one single thing! Well, if anyone was actually looking forward to the game (::) yeah right!) I'll try to do it properly, hopefully I'll find someone to do the music and some beta testers and mend my mistake here... Well, sorry for taking up space, but I've learned a few things.

Oh, a RON game with God Yahtzee! This had better be good Fsi... and if you mock God Yahtzee, someone's gonna have 9 toes...

PS: I really wanted to enter!

Klaus

Okay, no more entries - so here we go... For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Zeke And The Island Of Barentsev (Demo) by Buckethead
RON Sixteen by FSi
Don Spillacys Conspiracy Quest by charliechuck

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

For the time of voting now you're invited to post your opinion about all entries: Pros and cons of the games. What did you like, what not. In this case it's interesting how you compare the games - if this is possible at all.

Xellie

Am I the only one having trouble downloading BucketHead & FSI's games?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk