"Children of Men", movie

Started by Nikolas, Sat 23/09/2006 23:22:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

This movie, Children of Men, came out yesterday in the UK, and since it is Brittish I doubt it has been anywhere else.

This is the first time I make a thread about a movie, so I hope you can understand how much a valued my time, seeing it.

About the film (very short):

The film starts at 2027, in London. There has been some kind of problem and no one can have children. No one. The youngest person in Earth, an 18 year old is shot dead! And the movie starts.

About stuff in the film:

The director, first of all, Alfonso Cuaror, is brilliant. He is doing art, and yet makes film which is understandable and brillaintly directed. You've got though to watch every second in order not to miss something.

The GFX are brilliant and subttle. There are no monsters, etc, but when they do use them, they use them perfectly, wihtout anyone understanding that there were fx there. Bullets, dead people, bombings, etc...

The acting is fantastic! Clive Owen, Jullian Moore and Michael Caine (the 3 major names, although not exactly staring, there are other actors who are i nthe film for much longer), are all acting great!

The story is amazing, and shocking, with political innuendos all over the place, while keeping a coherent concept all the way.

Music, I just couldn't find any original music in it. Almost all music coems from somewhere, radios, antennas, cars, etc... songs mainly from Radiohead, etc... At the points where music is really needed, there is some, taken from contemporary classical tracks, like Pederevskis "threnody for the victims of Hirossima" (a terrifying work for strings only), or Stravinskys' "Agon", or other works.

I just can't find anything more to say.

I'm shocked!
I'm amazed!
I have to talk to everybody about the film!
I have to think about it, a lot!

One advice though, in my head you need to see the film in a cinema, not on a DVD. It's not the visual that will be bad, although of course it is not the same, it is the society feeling you get from a cinema, with the next person sitting next to you, and watching a broken down society trying to crumble.

The 15 rating is very well put, and I would even consider doing it 18!

It's not that it's bad or sex or anything. BUT

There is a birth which you see in front of you (the fx we were talking about), violence is everywhere, and the film is really really harsh.

You must be strong to see it.

I would like to hear from others who saw it what they think.

In little I'm stunned, so much, that I need to post a new thread about it :P

Obi

That reminds me, my parents were in london while that was being shot and saw Clive Owen. That's the end of my rather boring story. As for the film, I havn't seen it yet, but the trailer makes it seem interesting and actually makes me want to see it.

Candle

Plot Outline: In 2027, in a chaotic world in which humans can no longer procreate, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea, where her child's birth may help scientists save the future of humankind.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

jetxl

TRAILER

I don't know, but it feels like the trailer tells the whole story within 3 minutes, appart from the ending which I'll guess is unhappy.

Nikolas

Well that was the reason I didn't give out any details apart from the date (more or less)...
Anyway...

No it does say the story, but the story is not what counts in this film. Everything else is. I mean ok, you get the future, women unable to bear children, a girl gets pregnant after 18 years of infertility. But other than that the whole concept, direction and details are what make this film brilliant (imo of course)...

Still waiting for someone to see it and let me know what they think. I actually went with anotehr guy together and he also found it brilliant and one of the best films he's seen in ages (the same goes for me... At least not in a 'better' sort of idea, compared to 'pop' films like Harry Potter. Just different and far more reaching to you. BTW, the director cuaron had also directed Harry Potter and the prisoner of Asgaban! What do you know???)

timlump

BEST FILM IN THE WORLD!!!!

Imagin the prospect of the world ending in your lifetime and how it would gradually collapse as the people become hopeless then multiply that by 2 and you've got it

EagerMind

Hmmm ... isn't coming out in the U.S. until 29 December!? We're the last ones to get it. Kind of unusual, isn't it? Have to try and remember this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk