MAGS October: Haunted House

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/10/2006 14:47:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prepare yourself for Halloween: This month's competition is going creepy - if you want to. It's possible to enter with a spooky game as well as with a more realistic one.

Topic: Haunted House

Your game must feature
- a haunted old house of course
- a private investigator
- someone stuck in the house trying to escape

At least one of these persons must be the main character! A nice feature (but not a must) would be, if the player could switch between these characters. But this is just a proposal.

Three essential items must appear in some way
- a talking picture
- a pumpkin
- a broom

No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in by October 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Buckethead

ah perfect. Count me in! This rules match very nicely with a game I already started  :D

Klaus

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Sun 01/10/2006 15:02:09
ah perfect. Count me in! This rules match very nicely with a game I already started  :D

:o I'm not quite sure if you really wrote what I read as ...

Quote from: Klaus on Sun 01/10/2006 14:47:05
You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new!

I guess you actually wanted to say "the rules fit an idea that is going around you mind since a long time", right?  ;)

Buckethead

oh come on... I made this yesterday   :-\ I can enter with this right?

Klaus

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Sun 01/10/2006 15:16:18
I can enter with this right?

Yes, sure :) You know it's just that people shouldn't work longer than one month on a game. "Already started" could also mean "I'm working on this since 3 months now". All in all it should be one person working for one month on one game - just as always. I only wanted to make this clear again, so don't worry. Everything's okay. :) Good luck!

fentongames

Cool! I'm entering this one!  :)
Time Kid, coming this summer.

FSi++

Okay, I'm entering.
I think I'll call the game "Voodoo Dave and the Tablecloth Mystery".
Creepy enough?

ExoTek

I have a little question (worthy of a newbee! ;D)

Is it always ok to use sprites/backgrounds/sounds etc. found on the net ???
- Just another lucky guy.

Buckethead

Quote from: ExoTek on Sun 01/10/2006 18:45:40
I have a little question (worthy of a newbee! ;D)

Not ALWAYS... for example you can just take image people post in the critics lounge. Those are found on the net but you cannot you use them. But I think you can use sprites and backgrounds that are given away. Like ripped sprites from King's Quest or something.

I'm not totally sure that what I said is all right so don't fallow it blindly.

Klaus

Quote from: ExoTek on Sun 01/10/2006 18:45:40

The answer is given in the ruleset:

Quote from: Klaus on Sun 01/10/2006 14:47:05
You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

So this includes premade graphics. As people have most problems in creating own sounds and music this is the only exception. Only if the rules ask for premade graphics or formally allow free sources they are allowed, but it's not the case here.

nihilyst

As I'm planning on entering, I have a question: With "three essential items" do you necessarily mean _inventory_ items?

Klaus

Quote from: nihilyst on Mon 02/10/2006 00:11:37
As I'm planning on entering, I have a question: With "three essential items" do you necessarily mean _inventory_ items?
No, the items may appear wherever you want. They can be useful (as inventory items) but do not necessarily have to be - they only need to be in the game.

CMonkey

I'd love to enter this, but as i'm losing my internet for about a month in 2 weeks time I thought i'd throw my idea out there in case anyone's interested.

You play a young witch called Bridey who's helping her friend (also a witch) Margaret (Mags), setup a halloween party. On flying over to Mags' house, she finds her distraught because the narrow minded folk of the town have hired a witch hunter to bring her in. Mags is afraid to leave the house, she's all out of toadspittle, and her guests are arriving in an hour. Bridey must scare him off with the help of Mags' resident ghost, but unfortunately the ghost is having confidence issues and he's questioning his scaryness. With the help of Pumpkin Head, and Ted the Talking horse, Bridey must help the ghost restore his confidence, get rid of the pesky witch hunter and get the house ready for the party.

Locations:
Brideys cottage: A small simple wooden cottage in the deep dark woods.
Mags' house: A lopsided rickety old house perched on the edge of a craggy peak overlooking a small village. Consists of an attic, first floor bedroom, ground floor living area, kitchen, basement, front yard and back yard.

Characters:
Bridey: A tall, slender 20 something witch with long red hair, with a black cloak and high pointy witches hat.
Mags: A short fat witch with short dark hair, also wearing a black cloak with witches hat.
Herrick: A crooked old witch hunter, with scraggy grey hair and a long brown cloak.
Pierre: Mags' resident ghost. Not sure on his details, I imagine him as being some character from french aristocracy, possibly the original owner of the house.
Pumpkin head: A talking pumpkin
Ted: A talking horse that lives in a painting.
Andrew

Sylvr

Well, I suppose I can give it a shot...
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Dan_N

Umm...

Must the hounted house be a "house"? Can't it be a flat, or a tent, or a caravan, or something?

PS: I think I will enter, but I'm not sure... The temptation is dragging me in, but my other projects drag me out... A conundrum indeed...

Buckethead

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Tue 03/10/2006 19:22:28

PS: I think I will enter, but I'm not sure... The temptation is dragging me in, but my other projects drag me out... A conundrum indeed...

You could just be strickt on yourself and work on it every day just for a little time. A month is a long time if you just make a small game, especially if you work on it every day.
If you can handle it to be busy all the time I think you will be fine  ;)

Klaus

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Tue 03/10/2006 19:22:28
Must the hounted house be a "house"? Can't it be a flat, or a tent, or a caravan, or something?
Well it should be more the standard house thing. A flat might be okay as well but your other ideas are rather "unusual" places to live. Of course some people/cultures do so, but better go for what we're used to call a house :)

lo_res_man

How about an old haunted inn? as in a medieval inn? I am thinking of some inn with THE BED THAT FITS ALL! if you read your greek myths, it actully kind of scary.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Klaus

Quote from: lo_res_man on Wed 04/10/2006 20:10:27
How about an old haunted inn? as in a medieval inn?
Sure, from my point of view an inn is a house :)

nihilyst

Okay, tomorrow I'm going home after weeks of holidays, and I still have enough spare time (24/7, to be precise) until the 26th. I've already made the walkcycles, the interface and 6 and a half backgrounds. If there's nothing immediate needing my attention, this is going to be a sure entry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk