MAGS October: Haunted House

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/10/2006 14:47:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Play_Pretend

Revision:  Never mind...blah!  Backgrounds 100%, character anims 100%, story and all that other stuff was completed, buuuuut...I ain't gon' have no time to do the animations for the other things what need to be happnin' in my game.  Urrrgh.  I pretty much was only getting to work on the weekends as it was, so it's really a 6-day game instead of a month for me. :)  Anyways, good lucks to all the still-competitors!

ExoTek

Well, I'm bothered by my lack of graphic skills!!!

If only I could make a decent picture :( (well, more than one actualy! ;)) I would participate and and make so hard on you to win! ;D...

Anyway, I still can't wait for you guys to do your stuff... :)

Don't let go of the good work...

So, (with the orchestra behind and the cheerleaders): GO ON PEOPLE, GO ON!

- Just another lucky guy.

Dan_N

Yes, unfortunately, I can't enter... I'm busy with my website (*coughvisitcough*) and I've got a bunch of other stuff to do... School takes up most of my I (former) free time and that basically's a bummer... Although Mr. Buckethead's words did indeed inspire me to start something... emphasis on the something... then I realised how much I have to do and I scrunched the concept...

I too would want to see how the classic "haunted house" theme gets interpreted... If a game has an impressive story that "streches" the theme then it definetly has my vote.

It can look as crappy as possible, exotek, we're not about graphics here. Or at least, I'm not. Believe me, I can't draw that good either, but I try my best and that suffices here at AGS. Have you seen the database? Most of the games look like they've been spewed up (no offense to the creators) but a good story and gameplay more than makes up for graphics.

PS: Thanks to CJ for adding hardware driven sound option for AGS! Now I can use the latest version AND have sound! Yipee! Let's hope he just keeps it there in future versions... Kudos!

- Dan

calacver

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Thu 12/10/2006 21:27:43
Have you seen the database? Most of the games look like they've been spewed up (no offense to the creators) but a good story and gameplay more than makes up for graphics.
Have you? At least half of those games have pretty decent graphics. A lot of them have exceptional graphics. They aren't naturally commercial standard, but duh, these are freeware games that does not look like they've been spewed out.  Maybe you should look again, there are more games than just yahztzee's. And I'm not one of the creators.

nihilyst

Some preliminary results of my game The house that ate my soul

Two screenshots to start with:

100% (19/19 playable rooms)
3/3 playable characters animated (as far as needed)
1/5 NPCs
some music and sound effects
script: half of the script is done, the keyboard interface is also working

What is still missing is some special animations. I hope I can make some until next weekend. I'm looking forward to get it finished in time. Expected date of release: Sunday, 22nd of October

I hope you're all getting along with your games.

cheers
nihilyst

Mikko

Looks and sounds interesting. :)

I guess I can also slip one WiP screen myself. Panel on the wall and bookself seem to be traditional in haunted houses. :)

Let's see if can make it in time. I'm not anywhere near as far as you are, but I think your game will also be quite much longer than mine anyway.

ExoTek

Well, nihilyst & mikko,

Your entries makes anyone like me shamed! Hope we'll see some result!!!

GO ON PEOPLE, GO ON!!!...

Dan_N_GameZ's comment made me start somethine tooday, thietheen days after the day it all started so you can imagine how much "nothing" I have done but still...

If there something I can do AND WILL is try and vote...

And I can't wait to try your entries guys!...

Keep up the good work. Your the ones that can give lessons to others...!

(never seen it, but love your work!)

Signed: a secret fan.....!!
- Just another lucky guy.

Buckethead

my game is such a mess, I can't compete with your great games. But I'll enter anyway =)

calacver

You guys make me want to enter too, maybe I will! Looks awesome!

Sylvr

Haha, for one thing, I can't draw. Yet I am still entering. My game will be shamed. And, just to keep this a little more on-topic, I call my game Escapé!

Remind me again why I'm doing this? :P
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Mikko

Because it is fun, entertaining and educative, perhaps. ;)

And also because even entering feels like victory. :)

fentongames

I've made the poster for the game now. I'm calling the game "The Castle of Death". I've hardly done anything on the game in this month. So for the whole of this week, I'm really going to get stuck in. (I'm busy with my own game too.)

The graphics aren't too good, but everything else seems ok. Btw, I'm using the MI2 template.
Time Kid, coming this summer.

nihilyst

Okay, I have to go now, so here it is:

The House That Ate My Soul

cheers
nihilyst

thewalrus

Congrats, Nihilyst! Looks like your the first one to complete your October MAGS entry. (I started playing, looks really solid so far!)
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

FSi++

aussie

Quote from: nihilyst on Sun 22/10/2006 16:10:15
Okay, I have to go now, so here it is:

The House That Ate My Soul

cheers
nihilyst

I disagree with your readme file. Neither the story nor the interface is bullshit. Some ideas are actually quite interesting and the gameplay is original enough.

The only thing that kinda bothers me a little bit is the lack of response to some interactions, but I quite like the game overall. Great effort!

I found a fatal bug.

Spoiler

When I tried to use item number 7 outside the house (I can't remember which item it actually was), I get booted out of the game.

There were also some minor bugs, but since you said you probably woundn't fix them I didn't jot them down.
[close]

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

fentongames

I've decided not to upload my game. I've hardly done a thing on the game, it looks rubbish and I was busy with my bigger project too. And next time I enter one of these competitions, I will spend a month on it, not just a week.
Time Kid, coming this summer.

Buckethead

I'm not going to upload my half finisched game either. But I've learned alot from working on it and I think I'm gonna start a real full lenght game pretty soon.

Sylvr

Alas and alak. No MAGS October for me. I am losing my drive for this game, plus I'm too darn lazy lately. And with a very busy week coming up (including a 12-hr concert  :o), I know I won't have the time to just eek something out. Mayhaps next month... :)
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

thewalrus

Hmm, I wonder how many more entries there will be, we got two in and completed so far.... I hope to see some more.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk