Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintaros

Quote from: Disco on Wed 21/03/2007 21:28:04
I'm still trying to decide whether to take the coach to Pearson or Munroe. Does everyone know where they are flying yet? Do any of you who are taking vehicles from your private collection have plans to meet and greet at either of the airports?

It's 6 of one half a dozen of the other for me.   Flying into Hamilton is slightly less expensive but has more connections and makes for a longer day.   Pearson will still involve much waiting around but it will be with other mitteners which is preferable to waiting alone.  So I'm leaning that way, I guess.

Pumaman

Due to a lack of available flights on the 20th, it looks like Mattgoble, AGA and me will probably arrive on the 21st; as a result, I guess we won't be able to get the AGS bus. What are the public transport options like for getting from the airports to teh Mittens Cabin?

Baron

Public transit, eh?

Well, getting to Bayfield seems to be a bit.....difficult via public transit.  My suggestion is to take the bus or train to Stratford upon Avon (Ontario), and I'll pick you up.  You catch the train at Union Station in downtown Toronto and it goes via Guelph & Kitchener to Stratford (about 2.5 hours, normally, but it will easily take you an hour to make it from the airport to downtown).  There is a train that is leaving Toronto at 5:40pm on July 21st and will cost you $37.10 CND each.  The train also stops temptingly close to Pearson airport in Brampton at 6:14pm and would only cost you $29.68 CND each to Stratford, saving you time and money, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get to.  The three of you could probably split a cab for $30 and get to the Brampton station in -estimating- half an hour or so.
  Apparently you can catch the greyhound bus at Pearson Int'l airport but it looks like you'd have to take it downtown and then from there to Stratford via Guelph & Kitchener (probably about 2.5 hours as well, from downtown).  I can't seem to get a quote from the website, but I'm guessing it'll cost about $40 and run at inconvenient times.
  We can make a day trip to Stratford on Saturday so it won't be out of our way.  I hear there's a summer Shakespeare festival there.....

Pumaman

Ok, flights booked, looks like we'll be landing at Pearson on 20 July at 14:50 after all, so hopefully we can get the AGS bus!

Grundislav

I'd just like to make a correction to Quintaros's list.  I'm going to be driving with Eric and Jess, and not flying directly into Toronto.

Matt Goble

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 01/04/2007 19:51:07
Ok, flights booked, looks like we'll be landing at Pearson on 20 July at 14:50 after all, so hopefully we can get the AGS bus!

Booked, I think, on the same flight as CJ and AGA.

Quintaros

Baron

AGS Bus Update:
       So far it looks like everybody is coming through Pearson, so we might be able to cut Munroe -and two hours of extra driving -out of the route (please post or PM if this affects you!).    The tentative ridership list to date:

Mittens Attendee                          Pick up
BaRoN                                             Orangeville
Ivy                                                   Pearson
AGA                                                  Pearson
Pumaman                                        Pearson
Quintaros                                        Pearson
Mattglobe                                        Pearson
Disco                                               Pearson/Yorkdale (?)
Renegade Implementor                  Yorkdale

Unless there is a surge in demand I'll look into renting a moderately sized van (10 seats so there's room for swag).
Speak up if you feel I've misrepresented your itinerary or you want on (or off) the bus.

Matt Goble

Hey BaRoN,

I'm confirmed for the Mittens Bus, will be on the same flight as AGA and CJ.

Matt

Disco

Yes. Provided that it is still in the neighbourhood of 100 CAN then I will be going in the AGS Bus.

I will be arriving in plain old Toronto rather than going straight to Pearson, as for some reason the coach from Saginaw to "Toronto Airport Terminal 1-3" is a 26 hour trip, and going to Toronto is only 14 hours  :o. I arrive at 6:20am on the 20th so there is plenty of time to arrive at Pearson by 4-ish, or hang out with Toronto locals??  ???

Renegade Implementor

I'd like to confirm a spot for the AGS bus.

I'll be arriving at Toronto's Greyhound station around 10 am on the 20th, which should allow some time to quickly visit some shops.

If it's still possible, put me down as a yes for pickup at Yorkdale mall.  Getting there by subway seems easier than trying to figure out the TTC bus system.  :)

Baron

The cost will be around $100 per person for the trip to Bayfield and back to T.O. (or wherever en route) + day trips.  I can guarantee that rental will be less, hopefully significantly less, but there'll probably be several hundred dollars worth of gas to account for.
I'll reinstate the Yorkdale pickup for Renegade Implementor and recommend it to Disco and The Ivy (the subway is just so much easier than crossing municipal boundaries on the bus).

Disco

Ah, Yorkdale Mall is the first stop :D I'll be there then, just a wee wait with Renegade and perhaps Ivy,  and less hassle ^_^

Radiant

*bump*

I don't want to inconvenience people, but how flexible is the Airport Rendezvous schedule? My flight back appears to leave at 1:30 pm, and The Baron's schedule says to get to Toronto 3:30 pm. Are there other options, like the Canadian equiv of a Greyhound?

I have an alternate flight option which leaves at 6pm for the return, but arrives at 8pm for the arrival, again clashing with the Baron schedule. And I can't mix and match both because they're different airlines, argh.

Suggestions please? Thanks.

Baron

I don't think we're have anything planned for that last day: I was just assuming that I'd have a bit of a hangover and that 10am would therefore be a couth hour for departing Bayfield.  We can certainly leave earlier (say 8am) and head directly to Pearson (arriving c. 11am).  Or we can delay leaving T.O. on the first day, since we're not heading to Munroe Int'l.  I'd say that's the preferable option, since I'd rather stay up later than get up earlier.  But we can accommodate you either way.

AGA

Is there any update as to how much the bus rental will cost? The better I can budget for this trip, all the better.

Radiant

Quote from: BaRoN on Thu 31/05/2007 01:03:50
Or we can delay leaving T.O. on the first day, since we're not heading to Munroe Int'l. 

Thanks. Okay, I'll pick that one, then. For some reason the flights to Munroe were 500-800 euros more expensive, so I won't be going anywhere near there :)

Any stuff I'd need to bring? Like sleeping bags or an air bed? Also if people are interested I can bring stroopwafels, drop, and/or any amount of boardgames.

jetxl

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 31/05/2007 08:55:15
Any stuff I'd need to bring? Like sleeping bags or an air bed? Also if people are interested I can bring stroopwafels, drop, and/or any amount of boardgames.

I'll bring Zombies!!!

What aboot pc's/laptops?

Quintaros

You don't need to bring any bedding or towels.  There is a games room equipped with board games but more entertainment is welcome if you want to bring some of your own. Any treats from home you want to share would also be appreciated I'm sure. 

I hope someone is bringing a labtop, because I'd like to see some demos.

SSH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk