The House That Ate My Soul (MAGS October) (problem solved)

Started by nihilyst, Sun 22/10/2006 16:09:14

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

Stormbell Entertainment
presents

Ben Hastings is a private investigator trying to find the testament of Simon Hunter's uncle in his house. As he proceeds, he uncovers the mystery of this creepy old mansion.

This game has many flaws and some animations and sounds missing, but should be beatable. It is recommended to read the readme, since the inventory controls are quite unusual.

It features:
- keyboard control
- 4 playable characters (including inventory trading)
- an original, but very short soundtrack

Download >The House That Ate My Soul< (version 1.0)
Download >Update to version 1.1< (just extract the .rar into your THTAMS folder)
Visit the game's page

In order to play the game properly, set your keyboard layout to German (IBM).

Bugfixes:
- problems with the save/load GUI should be fixed
- press F2 to increase the game speed to 70, press F1 to make it normal

cheers
nihilyst

thewalrus

Congrats on finishing your October MAGS game! It looks awesome. I'm downloading now!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Buckethead

I can't walk smooth, I have to press the movement button from every inch I want to walk. That's very anoing  :-\

DoorKnobHandle

Try pressing it once. The character will walk until you press it again.

The game looks and plays great, I can't wait to finish it once I have some time! I have a strong feeling your game will win this round! :)

CosmoQueen

KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

R4L

YES! This game looks awesome! Downloading....

ch33rio

Wow. This is a really fun game, but it's taking me forever; the game crashes every time I save or load. I've had to replay most of the action several times... (it tells me it cannot display message with extended characters in SCI font.) I would love to see the end but this would make the fourth time I've made it about an hour into the game only to have it crash...

ManicMatt

Okay, completed it!

Nice graphics, music, sounds and ideas. Fun to play and doesn't feel like most AGS adventure games!

As you said, bugged! I was stuck for ages thinking you couldn't combine two particular items even though that's the solution. Grr. (See the hints section to know what I'm on about)

Walking was a pain in the arse.

And the ending... the ending....  :-\

Did I do something wrong? Just checking.

jkohen

This game is indeed awesome, but beware of some "interesting" bugs. There is a especially annoying issue that affects item combination: ofter the index of the items in the inventory doesn't correspond to the one you have to enter while pressing down the left shift. E.g., say you have the robot arm in the first slot in the inventory, the hand in slot #2 and the umbrella in the third. It may happen that you have to press LShift 1 3 to combine the arm and the hand. I'm not totally sure, but I even think that you may need to try with empty slots. So don't despair if item combination doesn't work at first, you start trying random combinations... yeah, it sucks, but the game is worth that effort.

Also, I seem to have hit a bug where saving a game breaks the game management menu, but so far it seems I'm the only one suffering it. However, here's the workaround in case you are in the same situation I am: just overwrite the sl.gui file with the one that came with the game. You will then be able to load all savegames you had, although their names will not show in the list. You'll have to repeat this everytime after saving the game, but hopefully you won't see this bug at all.

jkohen

Quote from: ManicMatt on Mon 23/10/2006 01:25:06
Okay, completed it!

I'm stuck and I'm not sure whether it's because of this bug or that i'm missing something. Could you please follow this link to the hints section and give me a hand?

Peder 🚀

nihilyst

Thanks for the replies and the kind words.

About the bugs:
1. item combination: As I said, I just didn't have the time to write responses for every combination you try to make. Therefore, only then thins happen, when the items are made for each other. But then it should work combining them both ways. I didn't have the problem, that I had to press other numbers than the slot's digits I wanted to combine.

2. save/load: That's a bug I also can't reproduce. ch33rio, it would be of great help, if you could send me your "damaged" sl.gui. I already have blashyrkh's, and I will try to find the problem.

I'll try to fix these bugs. Thanks for replying.

cheers
nihilyst

Buckethead

why did you make it so hard for yourself anyway? You could of just used mouse and cursors.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Hush, let him be creative. := It's a lot more fun, and we can always stumble on the perfect interface that we'd never even thought of before.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

nihilyst

Okay, the save/load problem should be solved. Just download the update in the first post and extract it to your THTAMS folder.

Of course it would have been easier with mouse and cursors. But I always try to do thing I'm new to. That's why it usually doesn't work right. Unfortunately, I had to post my game until the 22nd of october, so I couldn't test it extensively. My next game won't be for MAGS, so I hope that one won't have that many bugs.

EDIT: It seems that I can't reproduce the item combinating bug. Everything works fine for me, but I'll still try to find the error. Until that, just try to hold down shift and then press some numbers until it works. There are still responses missing, so if you want to combine e.g. the key, you need to have all the parts.

cheers
nihilyst

Dennis Ploeger

Hi!

I also like your game, nihilyst. I always love this creepy, mistery adventure. Reminds me alot of "7 Days a stranger" though.

But I'm also facing a bug, I think.

Spoiler
After giving the first gardener the whistle, I cannot exchange things with him anymore. When pressing one of the inventory numbers, I only get a "Not a good start."
[close]

Is this a bug?

Anyways, good game. Keep up.

Regards,
deep
deep

jkohen

Quote from: deepgames on Fri 27/10/2006 15:00:16
Spoiler
After giving the first gardener the whistle, I cannot exchange things with him anymore. When pressing one of the inventory numbers, I only get a "Not a good start."
[close]

Is this a bug?

Confusing, but not a bug. You don't need him anymore.

ch33rio

I replaced the corrupted/bugged sl.gui with the one from the downloaded file (as per blashyrkh's brilliant suggestion) and it never gave me trouble after that.
So... I don't think my sl.gui is corrupted anymore. I'm sorry I couldn't help you with it...
But, bugs and persistent Lshift tapping aside, I just LOVED this game. Loved it. I especially loved the idea of interacting with the... other sentient beings in the house (don't want to give too much away...)  But I truly enjoyed this game and I really look forward to your next (bug free!) endeavor! Nice work!

nihilyst

Thanks for the kind words. And I hereby promise, that my next game will be carefully tested and checked for bugs ^^

Dennis Ploeger

Quote from: blashyrkh on Fri 27/10/2006 15:58:16
Confusing, but not a bug. You don't need him anymore.

I don't? Than I'm really confused!

Spoiler
Don't I need him to wake up his neighbor and don't I need the whistle back?
[close]

Regards,
deep
deep

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk