The House That Ate My Soul (MAGS October) (problem solved)

Started by nihilyst, Sun 22/10/2006 16:09:14

Previous topic - Next topic

sthomannch

Good atmosphere, nice graphics and I really like the puzzles. However, the game crashes even after the update, and when I restart and load, it often happens that the hotspots are not visible anymore and no action is possible. Also combining items in the inventory is still a big problem. I think that even trying every combination does not work (I mean, every slot with every slot, whether it has an item or not), and if I go to another room, sometimes I can combine items. Because of a crash I restored the game but now I definitely cannot combine items in the inventory, but before the game crashed, I could do it at the very same position (that is, after the last save operation, I could combine them, went to another room, crash, restore, now the inventory is locked). I hope that you can fix the game and give us another patch.

jetxl

The setup file is missing, and my computer doesn't support the standard resolution.
Could you include the setup as well?
Or could someone once remind me how I change any ags setup to work with this game. I can't seem to find it.

nihilyst

@jet: The setup file is included. You just first have to install version 1.0 and then overwrite the gamefile with the exe file from the update, since the setupfile is only included in the 1.0 rar file.

@sthomannch: That's unusual. It could be, that a savegame you saved in version 1.0 causes problems, when you try to load it with version 1.1. I, however, had no problems saving and loading with the new version, and neither had I problems with hotspots and actions. Combining items still is a problem, and since I didn't have any problems with combining items, it may take some time until I found the bug. Many others beat the game, so it's not impossible. Maybe you should try to "reinstall" THTAMS and it's update.

EDIT: Okay, I spent the evening with testing THTAMS. I saved and loaded on all slot very often, I looked and used everything, combined the items, if they were made for another or not, I tried to use every item on every hotspot there was ... and encountered not a single problem. Everything works. The items you can combine are combined by pressing the numbers of the slots, in which they lie, whilst pressing left shift.

You could encounter problems, when you have your CAPS LOCKED or are using the keypad to manage your inventory. Be sure, that caps lock is off and you are using the numbers above the letter field.

If you still encounter those problems ... could it be, that this game acts different on different machines? Is that possible? I do know some others, who didn't have any problems either. Another solution could be, that there is one single action you can do, that ruins the game's controls. However, I didn't find it, but I'll try to keep track.

sthomannch

nihilist, I think it is not easy to find the problem. Caps lock and things are no problem, I checked on this. Different machines? I don't think so, but it could well be that certain actions triggered an unexpected behavior later in the gameplay.

I'll wipe my savegames and try again.

I like the interface (as long as it works), so don't change the appearance.

nihilyst

Okay, I think I found the problem, why item combination doesn't work for some users. Setting your keyboard layout to German (IBM) should do the trick. That should work until I've found a solution, that makes playing possible for all layouts.

sthomannch

Hey! I hope you really found it. BTW, you work nightshifts? Thanks a lot.

sthomannch

nihilyst, I tried it again with the german keyboard layout and now the inventory items can be combined. Finished it, and I enjoyed it a lot. Excellent game!

Afflict

So how do i make the keyboard german ;) I tried giving it some beer but now its not working at all!

nihilyst

If you have windows, open the control panel. Open the keyboard settings. There you can change the keyboard layout to that of other states: choose german (IBM). I don't know the termini of the english version of windows, I hope that was comprehensible enough.

blueskirt

I just finished your game after changing the keyboard options to german. Really awesome game, keep up the good work. :)

thewalrus

I really enjoy the game as well. But have also had problems with inventory items. I can't seem to give anything to the guy in the painting. So I can't wake up the other gardener guy...... So I got frustrated and didn't finish the game. I did download the update, just haven't unzipped it yet. I will, cause like I said, I really like the game. Great job!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Afflict

Ok, well ALl I got was a speed and hardware tab. Under the hardware tab there is troubleshoot and settings.

Under setting there was only driver information and no where, where I can change the layout. ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk