Author Topic: Newbies introduce yourselves here!  (Read 159092 times)

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with animation
    •  
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
Re: Newbies introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #1080 on: 14 Apr 2018, 12:41 »
I will try to start fidgeting with the engine using whatever resources I can find and once I feel comfortable enough with the tool I will try to convert a story idea I had into an interactive thing - a visual novel as you said or even a basic point and click. I am a poor artist but I may be able to do something visually interesting (I am also training on Gimp on the side).
Depending on the story, you may want to try something like the Little Critter interactive stories or something like the game Monster Loves You. It all depends on how much interactivity you want.
And graphics can be anything from something that looks like a child did it to high definition semi-realistic. Just do the best you can and don't worry about quality at first. And if it's something just for practice, you can just use sprites from other games until you're comfortable making your own.
I wish you luck.

« Reply #1081 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:53 »

And graphics can be anything from something that looks like a child did it to high definition semi-realistic. Just do the best you can and don't worry about quality at first. And if it's something just for practice, you can just use sprites from other games until you're comfortable making your own.
I wish you luck.

That is actually an excellent idea. I will use some existing sprites as material to test the engine and see what I can do with it, in the while I will keep on training to find a decent art style. I will also make sure to check the games you mentioned. I started looking into games that were made with AGS to see the extent of the capabilities and what people imagined before.
It was definitely a good idea to come here, your messages are very helpful, thanks again.

Kinkilla

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
« Reply #1082 on: 01 May 2018, 13:07 »
Hey guys! ;-D
I really love adventure games (and making them) and I am also familiar with the engine, so I thought: "Hey... I should create an account."
Now I'm here and want to participate in MAGS and/or present my future projects.

CaptainD

•  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
    • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #1083 on: 01 May 2018, 13:57 »
Hey guys! ;-D
I really love adventure games (and making them) and I am also familiar with the engine, so I thought: "Hey... I should create an account."
Now I'm here and want to participate in MAGS and/or present my future projects.

Welcome aboard Kinkilla!!  Look forward to seeing what your familiarity with the engine produces. ;-D

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    •  
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
« Reply #1084 on: 01 May 2018, 14:02 »
Welcome and please remember to keep all small rodents away from microwaves.

Kinkilla

•  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
« Reply #1085 on: 01 May 2018, 14:07 »
Welcome aboard Kinkilla!!  Look forward to seeing what your familiarity with the engine produces. ;-D
Thanks!
Welcome and please remember to keep all small rodents away from microwaves.
I can't promise, but I'll try. :P

Dancing Cyborg

• ...i go salsa dancing with my confusion...
« Reply #1086 on: 03 May 2018, 00:20 »
Hello to everyone.:)'Bout time i post something in this thread...I'm John, 32, from greece, artist, musician, (and some other stuff...)and hopefully one day become a game developer as well...I have a passion for oldschool-retro games, mostly adventure based, and others also...I didn't grow up with a computer at home until i was about 20 or so...So i missed all these wonderful adventures on pc as a kid...But played others or ports of them via console...And later on when i got my first computer i found them all one by one(still finding...)Some of my favorite games are : Snatcher, maniac mansion, beneath a steel sky, famicom detective club 2...this list is gonna be too long if i continue... :tongue: I always wanted to make games and in a way i have (handmade board games and puzzle boxes)...So what happened???AGS happened!!!I discovered it by accident one day when i was searching for free adventure games in a local pc-internet-center, (i still didn't had internet at home at that time...)and i was so excited by the games in the site...I later realised all of them where made with the same program (engine)...This was a miracle!!!(i bet we all felt that way...)Anyway...the rest is history and present...Hoppefully future too...Great engine, great games, great forum and people...Everything great...Many thanks to C.J. and all the people who contributed for having this jem for an engine...Respect to all of those who are helping others in the forum...Hope to make some some games and keep this forum and genre alive...All of us...Creating games is art.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 00:28 by Dancing Cyborg »
Run, Run, Run, Up

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #1087 on: 03 May 2018, 10:44 »
Welcome John!  Hope you have a great time being part of the community and making your own great games. ;-D

Also, I fully approve of your username.  There should be more dancing cyborgs in my opinion. :-D

« Reply #1088 on: 17 May 2018, 18:35 »
Hi all, newbie here, UK based, 19 :P Not got a background really in anything like this (other than my dad installing SCUMMVM when I was about 7 and showing me Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle which I immediately loved) but have started getting into python recently and came across this website and interested to have a crack at it. Definitely going to be slow going but love the idea of it so will try and stick at it

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #1089 on: 18 May 2018, 12:19 »
Welcome Mr_Tringham!

I assume you meant Python the programming language but if you've got into Monty Python that's cool too! :grin: :cool:

« Reply #1090 on: 18 May 2018, 17:34 »
Correct in your assumption but now that you mention it, both would apply (and probably help with creating an adventure game haha)

« Reply #1091 on: 12 Jun 2018, 15:11 »
Hello , my name is Théo. I'm 17 and i'm from France (sorry for my poor english^^),
I am a student at the School of Beaux Arts in Bretagne.
I love art, drawn, painting, history and obviously vidéo game :-D
Especially indie game, adventures games, walking simulator (Dear Esther <3) or any other game that innovates and explores new possibilities for video games and art.
I've been working on AGS for almost 3 years and I just finished my first project, I will talk about it soon on the forum.

Thank you and see you soon ! ;-D

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #1092 on: 12 Jun 2018, 15:23 »
Welcome Theo!  Look forward to seeing what you've been working on.

teemue

• ALVIN FROM EARTH community driven adventure series
    •  
« Reply #1093 on: 14 Jun 2018, 18:11 »
Hi! Old timer here returning since posting a loong time back :)

It seems I can reply to threads but I can't post a new thread - gives me an error "you don't have the access to index.php on the forums" or something similar. Any ideas what's wrong? Is this a game puzzle? :)

SOLVED : It seems it was illegal characters in the text, maybe two dashes.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2018, 18:19 by teemue »
Director at Nopia animation