Background Blitz: October 30th - November 13th [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

Started by ildu, Mon 30/10/2006 01:24:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ildu

Deadline extended to the 13th of November!
Some of you may have noticed that this is already my fourth time in a row hosting the Background Blitz :-\. This must be a bit annoying to at least a few of you. I know I'd be a tad critical of me at this point :). So, I'm gonna take it a little easier from now on, and experiment with and try to learn new styles rather than gunning for the gold (not that it's been like that all the time). I would've offered the hosting spot to someone else and saved myself the embarrassment of doing this, but I was really really really looking forward to hosting a Halloween-themed Blitz :). So, I guess this is it. My apologies :D.

Once again, I made the blitz one and a half weeks long. So if you need an extension to the deadline, PM me at any time and I'll engage and make it so, Mr. Spock. There's some confusion about which voting system we should use or if we should create some hybrid of the two. So hopefully we can come up with a solution before voting begins.

ALLÃ,  HALLOW'SÃ,  EVE

Inspiration:

Guidelines:

"The time of year for ghouls and ghosts,
It's here, the day I fear the most.
The night the world turns upside down,
When fiends rise up from under ground.
What can it be, this evil deed,
The act they call All Hallow's Eve!"

That's right!
Your assignment is to design a background that somehow portrays All Hallow's Eve, or in other words, Halloween. It could be a ghoulish graveyard or a spooky mansion, or something completely different. The main point is to convey the theme in the best way you can. Be creative, be creepy, be burtonesque. But above all, be afraid, be very afraid. You never know what's lurking behind the next corner...BOO!

Specifications:

Max resolution: 800x600
Palette: Unlimited.

Voting:

Voting will commence on the 10th 14th of November at 00:00 (GMT) and will be closed at 23:59 (GMT) on that same date.

Please give one vote in each of the categories. If at all possible, offer explanations to your judgements. Competitors and the host of the Blitz are also eligible to vote, and the only restriction is that the competitors cannot vote for themselves. You can only give one name in each of the categories. If a vote is ambiguous, it will be disqualified. So make your choices clear, and if you want to name runner-ups, be precise about it. If you want to, feel free to give the artists feedback on their respective entries. Feedback is always encouraged.

Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain feeling or mood.

Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, etc. In essence, how the elements in the image are designed.

Composition - How well the elements in the image are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, a good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

ildu

Bumping this to prove that it exists :). Awaiting first entry with girlish glee...

Buckethead

I know it exists, I'm gonna work on something tomorrow. Don't worry  :)

Edit:

THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY!! I'll just let it stay here for inspiration or something, if you don't mind.

EDIT2:

THIS IS MY FINAL ENTRY!!         

lilemX

im really bad at backgrounds and stuff but thought i better get the ball rolling  ;D

ildu

Nice entries so far, especially the character (not the person, the general character of the room) in Tocsik's entry.

I was hoping for a bit more entries this far into the competition, so due to requests and common sense :D, I'm extending the deadline to the 13th of November. You've then had more than 2 weeks time to work on this, so that should be enough.

Good luck, brothers in arms...and chicks, too. Prove that you can get it up by entering the blitz!

Buckethead

here's THE REAL entry by me:

I'm not sure if it's allowed to enter twice though...

Should I pick one and remove the other

Buckethead

Can you tell me which is the best? your are the pro lol  :P

ExoTek

Hi there!

Buckéthead - If you ask me (though I'm no pro) I think that they are both amazing! Realy. The second one (in colors) is the one that got most of my attention but the first (b&w) looks like a real photo!!! How did you pull this up ???
- Just another lucky guy.

Darth Mandarb

From the Forum Charter: Competitions and Activities Forum thread:

What this forum is for:
* Taking part in the various competitions and activities organized in the AGS Community

What this forum is not for:
* Anything else

Buckethead - pick the one YOU want as your entry.  That's kind of the point of a competition.

ExoTek - if you have questions about how it was "pulled up" send a PM about it.  Leave this thread for actual entries.

Sorry to be hypocritical (since I'm not posting an entry) but I hate having to sort through all the meaningless off-topic crap in the competition threads to find actual entries.  And it seems to be getting worse and worse lately.

PLEASE ... if you agree/disagree with me, send me a PM about it rather than posting in here.  Thanks.

Gilbert

Darth, no need to be so mean, if it's just some light discussions I'll just let them pass, if I think they're just meaningless fillers cluttering up the thread they'll disappear immediately.

But yeah, you decide which one whould be the entry.

ildu

Woah, I'm getting very worried here, people. Get your asses to work. Pronto!

Just a word of warning: I'm extending the deadline until we have at least 6 entries.

nihilyst

Have been very busy, so I have to post it unfinished. Tried an RPG style this time.

When the guests for the halloween party arrived, everything was set up already. The table was laid, the glasses were filled with bloodred wine. All the visitors thought of a realxing party, but when the discoverd the evil looking eyes in the bleeding picture, the realized, why they had been invited.

2x

cheers
nihilyst

Mikko

Okay guys, now that we have ildu kneeling on the floor and begging, let's bring out those bg's.

Here is mine. Once again small, pixelly one from me. Although there are carefully and thoughtfully hand laid pixels, I also used the evil burn tool and noise. So sue me.

180x110 (160x90), 256 colors.

buloght

Looks brilliant nihilyst, it reminds me of Seiken Densetsu 3, which is a good thing.

mikko, you curse the pixel with your evil burn tools  ;D

Elric

Edit: Nevermind, I'm not sure I'll have the time and I'd hate to extend the blitz for nothing.
Farewell Friend, for I was a thousand times more evil than thou.

ildu

Ok, you've got 15 3 hours left before voting starts. PM me if you need an extension.

Privateer Puddin'

I was going to try do all of this in 3d, since I need to learn loads quickly :P but I ran out of time so quickly did the rest in PS.

Not blitz time, real life time.

loominous

Played around with the palette for way too long, so many parts are rushed, and the trees suck.

Don't really know what witches are supposed to be doing during this eve, but these sisters decided to spend it together.
Looking for a writer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk