Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold (Updated 2012-11-15)

Started by Tarantula, Wed 06/12/2006 19:02:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarantula

FESTER MUDD: CURSE OF THE GOLD

Update 2012-11-15: A lot has changed for the project. We're switching the game engine from AGS to Unity. The game is coming out in January 2013 for PC, Mac, iOS and Android, and will be published by Replay Games. Please be advised that this thread was created years ago, and some of the information here is out-dated.

Fester Mudd & the Curse of the Gold is a humorous oldschool adventure game set in the Wild West. The game will be released in episodes.

thewalrus

Wow, this looks really quite awesome. I am really impressed! Sounds like an interesting story and the graphics are really good, very sierraish. Good luck with finishing the game..... I can't wait to play this one. I'm sure you will have plenty of support from the community...... Another game to add to my list of games to anticipate!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Ubel

I might explode any minute now! It looks GREAT! :D

raimo

Hey, this sure sounds like an interesting game, tho usually the western theme doesn't quite appeal to me. The graphics look VERY good, but I hope some of that excess dithering will go away before the release ;) Looking forward to playing it...

i k a r i

It looks like a professional old school adventure  ;D
The western theme does appeal to me a lot, I hope to see it released, I wish you good luck with it.

You have some MI inventory items? right?   :)
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

ninepug

Wow! Looks awsome :D.
Very Monkey Islandish in look and hopefully in feel too :3 (haven't played enough Sierra games to determine if it's looking like that instead, anyway, it's looking deliciously oldschool)
Love the colours.

MalleTheRedPhoenix

I can't believe what I see.  :o

These pictures are amazing! They bring my memories from Monkey Island and Indiana Jones back! I wish you good luck with this project and I hope that I can play this game as soon as possible.

Mordalles

this looks great! it looks like a commercial game from a few years back! i love the sleeping horse!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

JimmyShelter

Very nice graphics!

It definitely seems a game to look forward too.

buloght

Wow, that's mighty impressive! I hate you. The one thing (among so many) that is totally kick ass is the attention to detail in the rooms, all those people in the bar, the horsies, wow, man.

Rd27

This game looks amazing!!!

I really wish you good luck with this and hope that you finish it as soon as possible  :)!

By the way, the bartender looks much like Al Swearengen from Deadwood.

Tarantula

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: i k a r iYou have some MI inventory items? right?   :)

They aren't ripped from MI, if that's what you mean. They're deliberately made in the same style, though :)

Quote from: Rd27By the way, the bartender looks much like Al Swearengen from Deadwood.

Yes... That's the idea ;) Deadwood rules!

Dave Gilbert

So his brother's name is Bud Mudd? :-D

Looks beautiful, Tarantula.  Definitely keep us updated.

auriond

This looks super impressive! I'm looking forward to playing this :)

Mindlessthing

Fester MUDD? Is he an ancestor of Harry Mudd?

Anyway, that looks like a fine game, and I'll be happy to play it when it comes out. Also, those graphics are amazing, wish I could sprite\draw like that, but I have to survive on early LucasArts edits  :P.

DanClarke

Looks great, reminds me of Freddy Pharkas! ;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Nice images, but you're doing your work a disservice by posting them in jpeg format.

Gilbert

I think it's preferrable to use jpegs for screenshots in this style (moreover it's not the Critics lodge waiting for paintovers).

Game looks nice! Surely looking forward to it!

buloght

G

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Just another game in my list of AGS jewels I wish to play.
Very good work with those screens and characters.

Mouth for war

Wow, extremely nice :D keep up the good work
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

RowdyAdventurer

excellent!!! Cantwaito to play it!

Erenan

This looks great! Would someone in the future please come back in time and send this game to me? Check the time of this post for an idea of when in history I live.
The Bunker

Iv4n

IMO nicer graphics than Al Emo, worser story.

Petra

Please finish this jewel ;D

It seems to be awesome! I really like this "old" Lucas style :D

It's on no. 1 of my "really want to play" list ;D

Tarantula

Quote from: Iv4n on Thu 07/12/2006 21:29:55

Ah, but I've only revealed the very beginning of the story ;) There is much, much more to it... It's just the kind of story that I feel I shouldn't reveal too much in advance.

dsg_charly

Tarantula

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 07/12/2006 01:46:29
Nice images, but you're doing your work a disservice by posting them in jpeg format.

Replaced the JPGs with PNGs. I went for JPG at first just to keep the size down, but it turns out these PNGs are practically the same size :P

JimmyShelter

Quote from: Tarantula on Fri 08/12/2006 14:13:29
Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 07/12/2006 01:46:29

Replaced the JPGs with PNGs. I went for JPG at first just to keep the size down, but it turns out these PNGs are practically the same size :P

PNG rocks.

Images look even better now, much cleaner!

Ali

This has great graphics, a nice premise, but I particularly  like the names. I think they'll prove to be memorable!

Chicky

Is that mirror in the bar real time, character movement perfectly reflected etc?

deFineLicht

I just LOVE the MI style of yours, of all the different styles in all the adventure games, this style aply to me the most.

I will pray with out rest in a week for this games sake. ;)

nihilyst

The screens look amazing. Good luck with finishing your game.

Tarantula

Quote from: Chicky on Fri 08/12/2006 18:38:19
Is that mirror in the bar real time, character movement perfectly reflected etc?

The mirror reflects the character movement, yes... It'll still take some minor adjustments to be perfect, but it's already almost there :)

pixelblink

the graphics look outstanding so far... making this one to definitely look forward to - as long as the gameplay equals the eye candy

Fyntax

Wow, the grafics are equal or even better than most comercial adventuregames, very cool.

xelanoimis

It looks incredible.
I hope you get to finish it. Can't wait to play it :)
Good luck!

Nacho

Excellent work (graphically talking, I haven' t tested the game) I can' t do anything else than encourage you. Keep the good work :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

CoffeeBob

Quote from: Iv4n on Thu 07/12/2006 21:29:55

LOL, Al Emo. ;D

Anyhow, this is looking really great. Looking forward to playing this. :)

Cyrus

Nacho

Of course not, he starts making a game with the intention to stop at the middle of the production.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Fri 15/12/2006 15:12:09
When are you going to release it?

When it's done ;)

And that's really all I dare to say at this point :)

Sakkeus

Yay! This is now the third game that I add to my "wanted" list.
Really good job with the graphics.

Cyrus

What is the role of the curse in the plot?

Peder 🚀

This looks really really good!

I just love the GFX!

This is also on my wanted list!!

Keep up the awesome work!

also, are you planning on making a website or something?

Peder Johnsen.

Tarantula

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Fri 29/12/2006 17:20:34also, are you planning on making a website or something?

Yes, I am most definitely planning on making a website, but not until the project is nearing its completion.

Cyrus

Are you planning to make a demoversion?

fovmester

I am impressed! Very high quality graphics! It all fits perfectly together!

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Sat 30/12/2006 07:42:13
Are you planning to make a demoversion?

Yeah, a demo is coming up. Basically the only reason why it isn't up already is that I haven't made the introduction scenes yet, which I want to include in the demo.

floorboards

This looks fantastic. If it plays as well as it looks, it could be one of the better AGS games. Looking forward to seeing a demo!

Cyrus

Do you still work with people you worked with while creating SFS?

sergiocornaga

Looks great. I love that fish in the last screenshot.

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Mon 01/01/2007 09:15:11
Do you still work with people you worked with while creating SFS?

Nope, I'm working on Fester Mudd alone.

Cyrus

Will there be any parodies, references (for example, to SFS) or in-jokes

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Tue 02/01/2007 12:09:07
Will there be any parodies, references (for example, to SFS) or in-jokes

Sure, there will be some references, but not to SFS ;) I'm trying my best to avoid this kind of humor though, and go for originality instead.

Maase

Seems good the game, I never liked Western but im gonna give a shot at this one, it looks very cool!!!

From that screenshots im already seeing that i will need my ID to pass by that guy at the door :D

Cyrus

QuoteSure, there will be some references, but not to SFS ;) I'm trying my best to avoid this kind of humor  though, and go for originality instead.
Why? Do you want to get rid of crazy SFS fans like me? ;)

Edit by Darth
1. I combined your posts, please use the modify button if yours is the last post (rather than double posting)
2. There's no WAY that question belongs in THIS thread so I removed it.

YET ANOTHER EDIT ... to combine YET another double post ...

What kind of gold is in the plot? Nuggets, bricks, figures, etc.?

Cinfa

It has wonderful graphics, grats! What did you use to paint the backgrounds?

Darth Mandarb

Cyrus ... I combined a double post of yours and requested you not do it again ... so you double posted again??  Please stop doing that.

Tarantula

Quote from: CyrusWhat kind of gold is in the plot? Nuggets, bricks, figures, etc.?

I'd rather not reveal too much about the plot ;)

Quote from: CinfaIt has wonderful graphics, grats! What did you use to paint the backgrounds?

Thanks! I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9.

Cinfa

I expecially like the dithering, are you using 8 or 24bit?

Tarantula

Quote from: Cinfa on Mon 08/01/2007 21:08:47
I expecially like the dithering, are you using 8 or 24bit?

I'm using 24-bit, just because I didn't want to waste time worrying about palette issues. So basically I'm aiming for that good ol' 8-bit look with the dithering and all, although the graphics are actually 24-bit.

Cyrus

Is Fester Mudd himself a kind of reference to Indiana Jones? They two look very much alike.

Dualnames

If you need any help fell free to pm me.
Anyway this game looks like the westerner. You know Fenimore Fillmore. The first game. PERFECTION. Well done mate
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

"The Westerner" is not Fenimore Fillmore's first game, his first game was 3 Skulls of the Toltecs, a game I hated.

This game looks and feels quite amazing. I've said before, I think this is a year that'll see some great AGS games, and this one is definitely on my to-play list.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Cyrus

What's the progress? Are you going to finish this game during the year 2007?

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Sun 28/01/2007 11:31:25
What's the progress? Are you going to finish this game during the year 2007?

The project's steadily moving along. With luck, I guess I could be able to finish it this year. Right now it's really hard to say though, as I'm soon finishing my studies and I've no idea how much spare time I will have after that :) So the only thing that I really dare to promise at this point is that the game will be finished, sooner or later...

EDIT: Looks like the links to the screenshots are broken... Will fix them tomorrow.

Snake

Wow, don't know how I missed this one. This game looks truely amazing :o
May I ask how you did your backgrounds? Frickin beautiful. The story sounds like fun! Can't wait for this one!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

accolyte

GADZOKS! :o If I didn,t know otherwise i could have sworn those pictures came straight from an early Lucasarts-game. Amazing job.:o. And the story seems very interesting too. The thought of playing this it,s finished makes my mouth water so much i risk dribbling at my keyboard ;) I wish you the best of luck on this project.

Tarantula

Quote from: Snake on Thu 01/02/2007 13:05:58
May I ask how you did your backgrounds? Frickin beautiful.

I've done all the graphics entirely in Paint Shop Pro 9. Basically freehand and pixel by pixel, but using some effects too. I'm glad you like 'em :)

InCreator

I totally like it!
For a suggestion - though it's more my taste - lower amount of green color from brown surfaces, such like wooden areas in saloon. So greenish wood fits better into a ship (sea weeds), but not a dry western town.

Everything else bleeds too much green also, though it looks good here and there.

Also, pay attention to contrast and anti-aliasing used. The tree in 2nd screenshot has too little contrast (which makes it look somewhat flat) and probably too much anti-aliasing, especially near sky. Atleast, when compared to other shots.

"kick"?
rofl... you'd better give some use to this command. I cannot think of better way to add quick humor into game. Using it in wrong places could result in lots of funny responses/happenings.

Cyrus

Hmm... Tarantula,  it seems so that you want to make this game as much unlike SFS as possible not to let SFS return, even in an in-joke or reference. Am I right?

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Thu 08/02/2007 07:25:44
Hmm... Tarantula,  it seems so that you want to make this game as much unlike SFS as possible not to let SFS return, even in an in-joke or reference. Am I right?

I find this obsession you have with SFS really, really strange :)

As I've said before, SFS was a very badly planned project and I have absolutely no interest in finishing it. I see no point in putting references or in-jokes about it in Fester Mudd, simply because I feel it's a bad idea to include jokes that most people won't understand (most people have no idea what SFS is).

And I really don't want this thread to stray away from it's original topic. If you really must go on, PM me, DO NOT post about it here. Frankly though, I'm really tired of speaking about SFS. I see no point in dwelling on a project that's dead.

Cyrus

Well, is Fester Mudd himself kind of reference to something? He resembles Indiana Jones greatly.

MYKAYEL

Very nice, very nice indeed ;D Looking forward to this one ;D

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Tue 13/02/2007 16:00:25
Well, is Fester Mudd himself kind of reference to something? He resembles Indiana Jones greatly.

No, not really...  He just turned out that way. I'm a big Indy fan though :)

Cyrus

Well, what's about music? Is it like the music western movies have?

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Sun 25/02/2007 15:33:08
Well, what's about music? Is it like the music western movies have?

Sort of, but instead of a movie-like soundtrack, I'm aiming more for a Lucasarts feel... Basically I'm trying to make the soundtrack sound the way it probably would have if Lucasarts had ever made an adventure game set in the wild west :)

Cyrus

What has inspired you to make a western-styled game?

Darth Mandarb

Cyrus ... are you interviewing him??  That's like 20 questions!  Why don't you think of all the questions you might have and put them in one post rather than asking them one at a time!  It'll keep the clutter down a bit.

Cyrus

What should I do instead of it? I'm interested in FM, but I don't even know the time of its release. That's why I try to learn about it as much as possible. I don't think I bore Tarantula because he can stop answering me as soon as he gets tired.

i k a r i

What has inspired you  to make a western game is more a personal question xD,  ;D ;D

Now that I started a reply I'm gonna ask =), are you going to add movies to the game and unique animations for every puzzle? Are you really aiming to make it as professional as possible or just a very nice looking game? Can't wait  :D
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Cyrus on Wed 28/02/2007 16:16:35What should I do instead of it? I'm interested in FM, but I don't even know the time of its release. That's why I try to learn about it as much as possible. I don't think I bore Tarantula because he can stop answering me as soon as he gets tired.

Sorry man ... I didn't mean to give the impression your questions were a bad thing!Ã,  I just suggested putting them all together rather than 1 post for each!Ã,  That's all.Ã,  Or you could post them in a PM to him instead!Ã,  No worries!

If you need to reply to this, or have more questions, drop me a PM rather than post [off topic] in here!!Ã,  I'm happy to discuss it :)

Tarantula

Quote from: Cyrus on Wed 28/02/2007 14:21:19
What has inspired you to make a western-styled game?

I've always been a fan of western movies and I thought a western theme would be perfect for a game like this. It is in many ways quite similar to the pirate theme in the Monkey Island games, which I love. For example, the crude and sometimes even morbid style of humor of MI fits very well in a western game also.

I also love how the MI games basically have an historical aspect to them while not actually being historically accurate at all, thus allowing space for all kinds of wacky silliness. I'm going for this in Fester Mudd too.

Quote from: i k a r i on Wed 28/02/2007 16:40:37
Now that I started a reply I'm gonna ask =), are you going to add movies to the game and unique animations for every puzzle? Are you really aiming to make it as professional as possible or just a very nice looking game? Can't wait  :D

I'm definitely aiming to make Fester Mudd as professional as possible, and not just visually. There's already a huge amount of animations, but I'm also putting a lot of effort into the music, the text, the puzzles and... well, everything :)

I suppose I'm being especially careful with the humor. I keep constantly honing the stuff I've already written: improving, rewriting and dropping out jokes that stink. While doing this, I'm also trying to avoid the feeling of "forced humor". It really ruins the mood for me when sometimes adventure games seem to have a joke shoved in every possible situation, and only half of the jokes actually work.

I know, this is an awful lot of work for just one guy, but luckily I've got a lot of time on my hands :)

Cyrus

Good luck!
P.S. Can I contact other "Funky Duck" members. I'm interested to know what they are now working at.

Tarantula

Update 2007-03-20:

Added two new screenshots! (Check the first page)

I've been working on the game very intensely lately. If things go as planned, I should have a demo ready in a couple of months. As for the completion date of the full game, I'm aiming for the summer of 2008... I guess only time will tell how good that aim is :)

nihilyst

Wow. I really admire your graphics. I wish you good luck with the further development of this game. ^^

Afflict

Damn this looks great!  :o It's sure worth the wait!

i k a r i

Summer 2008?  :'(

I'm completely sure this wait will be worthy. Those last screenshots, are incredible looking and very nostalgic, you've recreated perfectly the "classic adventures" look. It looks even better than those oldies.  ;D
Don't give up on this project please!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

kehax

This game remind me of a very old game called Lost dutchman mine I used to play on my Amiga 500. I totaly loved that game! Carry on the good workÃ,  :D

ps: Lost dutchman mine is not the same as Al Emmo's dutchman mine. Himalaya Studios should not have copied the name from that old game.

Here is a screen from the old game :P

thewalrus

I am still in awe your awesome artistic style. Are you sure you didn't work for sierra in the early to mid 90's? This seems like a game with awesome sierraish graphics with the classic lucas arts interface. Should be delightful!!!  ;D

Keep on it, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

proximity

My second favorite Game in Production. This game has very deep soul believe me. Well done  ;)
Proximity Entertainment

Tarantula

Update 2011-03-20: I decided to dig this old thread up just to let everyone know the project is still alive and doing well! The original schedule totally backfired due to all kinds of things happening in my personal life, but I'm glad to say that the project is again progressing at a steady pace. Due to the scale of the project, I have decided to divide the game into 3 episodes, contrary to my original plan. This won't change the structure of the game at all - it only means that you'll get your hands on the game sooner!

Igor Hardy

Visually Fester looks grand - the elements of the environments have a great texture to them, something the old LucasArts games certainly had. Reminds me a bit of Simon The Sorcerer too.

I wish you best of luck with finishing the game this year!

Cyrus

Glad to hear that! Really loved that screenshot with the Yogi bear head! When will you set up a website?

cianty

Oh boy! First time I see this thread and man, this looks awesome! There are so many beautiful games in progress here currently. I really hope this one will be finished some day!
ca. 70% completed

Dualnames

That's a blast from the past, right there. I'm glad this is back on the active projects!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Secret Fawful

I love the authentic look of this. I could buy that town being a real town from the Old West. We need more adventure games with this setting, so I'm a fan of this project one hundred and one million percent.

Fitz

Wow! Those screens could easily pass for some classic early 90's game. And kudos for keeping the project alive in spite of difficulties. Reminds me I need to work on mine, too - which I have put away for a while now to get some other things sorted out.

On an unrelated note, the title reminded me of this song :)

Iliya

I just saw the screenshots. AMAZING!!! Great work man!

Tabata

These are very good news!

Your pics look very promising! I like the style and I am happy, that you decided to go on with it!  :D

Good luck for your project!

Matti

Beautiful screens. I'm totally looking forward to this one.

Iliya

This pixeal-art screens are one of the best in the whole AGS games database!

Tarantula

Thanks for the comments everyone! They're giving me a lot of strength to push forward :)

Quote from: Cyrus on Sun 20/03/2011 09:26:55When will you set up a website?

I'll set one up closer to the release. Right now I'm focusing 100% on wrapping up the first episode of the game.

Quote from: Fitz on Sun 20/03/2011 14:17:04On an unrelated note, the title reminded me of this song :)

Ah, Primus. One of my favourite bands :)

Takyon

Really excited about this, brilliant story by the sounds of it and great graphics.
ghost.

Mati256

I almost missed this one!
It looks great and knowing it's still going on are great news! Keep on with the great work!
My Blog! (En Español)

Armageddon

I wish I knew how people drew backgrounds like yours, the anti-aliasing is perfect. Is it all done by hand? Every pixel.

Peder 🚀

Tarantula

Quote from: Armageddon on Sun 03/04/2011 04:47:40
I wish I knew how people drew backgrounds like yours, the anti-aliasing is perfect. Is it all done by hand? Every pixel.

I'm glad you like them :) In some situations I use a line tool with automated anti-aliasing, but most of the time I have to do it the hard way... pixel by pixel. It takes a lot of patience, but in the end I think it's worth it. I'm using good ol' Paint Shop Pro 9, by the way.

Here's two pictures showing how I progress with backgrounds. I thought they might be interesting to you.

By the way, these backgrounds are not final yet. I feel there's still room for improvement :)

Tabata

Wonderful

Thank you for showing this!

I love to study, how those bg's "grow".

Fitz

You know, it's not often that the creative process itself looks so PRETTY! At least mine is usually a chaos of doodles that I then clean up until it looks acceptable ::) Aaanyway, looks great!

SuperDre

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW..... this looks absolutely amazing, there's so much talent on this board.. Looking forward to playing it..

Saberteeth

Oh HELL YES! I was the one who PMed you long ago(3 years ago, in fact) about the progress of the game if you still remember. :)
The screenshots look amazing, I can't wait to play this!

Sughly

Only just came across this, looks amazing! Definately looking forward to this one...

spiderman_0710

I came across with this right now ... this looks amazing ... i wonder how´s the project going ... any news ?
Good luck with your project.

Darth Mandarb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk