Module Proposal

Started by RickJ, Thu 21/12/2006 18:18:47

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

Well we have seen a proliferation of useful public modules. Good work everyone. ;)

I would like to have a discussion about private modules and how we may incorporate them into the "Module Programming Guidelines" published in the technical archive.   You are probably wondering why we should bother if it's a private module.  A naming convention would eliminate the possibility of name conflicts between public and private modules and more importantly if would allow the publication of private modules.
Huh??? ... What?   Publish private modules????    WTF Rick???    You #$%@! Idiot!!!!

Hehe, I know it sounds mad but it makes sense in the case of game templates that include private modules and in the case of modules that are actually templates for private modules.  I guess the  kind of private module I am talking about would have the following characteristics. 

• Unique contents for each instance/game in which it appears.  Modifications are allowed and encouraged.

• Unpublished, except in the case of private module templates or game templates.  Such a module template would be a guide, tutorial, and would contain some basic functionality and examples.

• Less strict adhearence to Module Programming Guidelines.  Deviations would be allowed if necessary or desired. 

So what I would like to propose is that all private module names, or at least the ones that are published,  begin with a unique character such as an underscore.   I know it's a modest proposal but I think it's worth doing something.  For example private modules would be named somethin like:  _Math,  _Lib, _Misc, etc.

Chers
    Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk