Enoworld

Started by Mercury, Sat 30/12/2006 02:29:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercury

The story: William, the very last knight of Enoworld, is about to face one of the greatest challenges of his career: the evil, organic-matter-hating robots from outer space have appeared somewhere in the far north of Enoworld, planning an invasion, and he is the only one who can stop them… if he ever manages to overcome his sudden fits of melancholy mood and self-doubt. In this game, you lead William through the somewhat odd-looking landscapes of Enoworld, as he searches for the mysterious holy stones, his weapon against the vile metal invaders.

First of all, let me just say that “Enoworld” is my very first AGS game, so try not to approach it with very high expectations; it's just a beginner's adventure game. The game is somewhere between to-be-taken-seriously and humorous. Here are some of the features:

-resolution: 640x400; hi-color (16-bit)
-one player character
-buildings that are five times bigger on the inside than they are on the outside
-almost no animation (I'm really not good at it)
-70+ rooms
-a great number of dialogs (a lot of chatty characters), without voice-acting
-a healthy dose of irony and sarcasm
-puzzles that shouldn't be very hard to solve
-no music (I'm really not good at composing music either); “background music” consists of nature sounds (birds, crickets, wind, ocean waves, frogs, thunder…)
-should take you at least 2 hours to complete

In-game screenshots:

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

Since I had problems uploading all of the game files as a single zipped file, I had to divide them into two files. The second one (Enoworld2.zip) contains the game audio (the music.vox file, it's 20.12 MB) and the first one (Enoworld1.zip) contains everything else (9.78 MB). Don't forget to place all the files you have extracted from Enoworld1.zip and the file you have extracted from Enoworld2.zip into a single folder before you run the game.

Download the game:

Enoworld1
Enoworld2

Afflict

An interesting style, I like the characters look.

Will update you ASAP after I play.

Erenan

I'll download this and try it out soon, but golly, I thought this was going to be about Brian Eno for a second. :P

Seriously, those screenshots are making me want to play it already.
The Bunker

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm as far as the Fearmore cemetery right now, and I had to drop in and say this:

Not bad, all in all, but why, in heaven's name, does the "get the arms and leg" puzzle have to be such a damn pixelhunt?! I can hardly see the bloody things.

EDIT - I was in danger of breaking my mouse button by clicking damn near everywhere. :P I don't want this to happen to anyone else, so people, here's a tip for when you get this far:

F12 to take a screenie, then go into Paint or whatever and invert the colours. It makes the arms and legs a bit more visible. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and Mercury? You left debug mode on.

EDIT 2 - Thank goodness you left debug mode on. That allowed me to teleport to Dr. Weird's house, not having to solve that numeric puzzle. I hate them.

Oh, and I managed to crash the game fatally on my only savegame. Joy.

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00000000 ; program pointer is +5997, ACI version 2.61.747, gtags (216,87)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK   

It happened when I picked the first flower blossom in the garden of Joy, saved the game, and tried to get another blossom - the wrong one. Now I get this whenever I reload the game.

Not an extremely bad game, but the maze, the pixel-hunt and the numeric puzzle (which come right in the heels of one another, along with Spot the Difference, after so long of linear gameplay with very little puzzles as to make a veritable obstacle smack in the middle of the game) really put me off from restarting, as now I shall have to if I'm ever to continue.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Joe

Good!
Those characters seems form nightmare before Xmas ;D

Copinstar © Oficial Site

Mercury

Joe Carl, I like Tim Burton movies a lot, so it does reflect in the game, sort of. The font I used in the game is actually from "The Nightmare Before Christmas."
Rui, I am sorry playing the game was such a nerve-wrecking experience for you. I know the puzzles are not exactly brilliant. The Fearmore cemetery thing is something of a pixel-hunt, you're right- that's what happens when I insist on incredibly skinny characters, with a-few-pixel-wide limbs. Thank you so much for pointing out that I left the debug mode on. Stupid. That's fixed now. Don't play the game again if you don't like it.
Erenan, Afflict- thanks guys.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

BTW, I did play the game again, because I hate leaving things unfinished.

All in all, it's a nice game. My previous post makes it sound horrible because I was quite frustrated at that point. The concept of the 8 villages and their inhabitants is a simple one, yet creative, and you implemented each well. In point of fact, I rather wish you'd make more games set in this world - I'd like to see more of each of these villages.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Mercury

Thanks Rui. I don't think I'll be making a sequel. It seems to me that sequels of things always end up worse than the originals, and besides, it's not really much of a creative challenge to deal with the same world twice.

Jon

Just played and finished the game and this is what I think:

Good points:
Unique storyline.
Many characters.
Many rooms.
Nice Puzzles.
I liked the animation on the 'Ruperts'Ã,  ;)

Bad Points:
Most of the rooms are the same.
Some of the programming seems lazy, in my opinion.
Score seems as though you are trying to make it seem longer, I think a possible score /400 would have been more suitable.
Debug mode left on.

Also you state that it will take 'At least 2 hours to complete' when it can be easily completed within 30 minutes (as I did) with still a respectable score (3920).

But as a first game I think this was very good, although improvements can be made

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk