Realm... an Insta-Game

Started by Dufferama, Fri 05/01/2007 14:40:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Dufferama

My very first game and post.
Between the forum and the manual, I was able to answer all my questions.
Thank you for any comments on the game.

REALM is loosely based on THE DIG.
http://www.geocities.com/ru4guitar/Realm.zip (4.3Mb zipped)

Jon

Downloading now, It would be nice to see some screenshots though.

EDIT: Thanks for the screenshots, some nice animations (the waterfall). But a quite confusing storyline (I have never played 'The Dig')

Dreamless

The winsetup file doesn't work.

The debug mode is still on!

Will try it out later when the winsetup error is fixed.

Greets Dreamless.

thewalrus

Welcome to the forums and the community. I will be waiting for the problems to be corrected and then I will be downloading...... Congrats on your first game.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Steel Drummer

Looks nice, but I strongly suggest you replace the default Roger sprite. I love the cartoony background style, though.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Dufferama

Thank you all for checking out the game.
I have fixed the winsetup and debug mode (I hope).

I agree... Roger needs to be replaced.
My art skills are weak but I will work on it.

Ubel

It was an okay game. I'd just like to know why the readme says that you made the graphics, while you obviously didn't. ;)

Dufferama

Pablo, you are correct. But I am learning and will do much better on my next game. I did make and/or alter many of the graphics/backgrounds but mostly not.

I did give credit to the true artists in the closing credits.

Seriously, I am not trying to take credit for the artwork.

Thanks for checking it out.  ;D

Da_Elf

its a good start (even if you use other graphics its the coding that yo uneed to learn). heck my asterix game used roger for quite some time hehe

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

In some ways the game is quite enjoyable. It's certainly of higher quality than I'd expect from an insta-game - so far, only Alien Time Zone had beed a good insta-game. You've tied up all the rooms in a good, solid way, and have actually created a game as opposed to a quick-romp-in-some-planet-because-that's-all-the-graphics-I-have. That's what I've come to expect from insta-games.

But there's some things you should think about.

THE EXIT POINTER:
Good idea, but it's slightly buggy. Try clicking "exit" and then moving the mouse around, or some sort of experiment with moving the mouse and clicking on exit. It's not always perfect.
That's not annoying. But the fact that if you happen to click on EXIT, even if by mistake, you immediately, blockingly and non-skippably move towards the exit, is. Also very annoying that you also seem to walk a bit blockingly and non-skippably every time you enter a room - when coupled with the previous issue... *very* annoying, makes playing a bit of a frustration at times.

THE GREEN ORB:

I'll spoilerize this one.

Spoiler
The location of the green orb is, IMO, bad design, and here's why - you've taught the player to look for exits by swinging the mouse around. Also, with those walking issues, you've taught him to be sure exactly of where he wants to go, or else he'll have to suffer with clicking somewhere he didn't mean to and just sit there in tedious and frustration while Roger walks where the player doesn't want him to. Once or twice is not a problem, but this problem rears its ugly head the whole game.

Anyway. Once you've taught the player this, do you really think he'll just move Roger off the beaten path, into a place where there's no interactions and no EXIT sign? It's, for all the world to see, just background. It's quite unfair on the player.
[close]

However, I seem to be the only one to have commented on it, and/or had trouble. I'd appreciate other people's input if they differ. This, you'll understand, is just one guy's opinion.

THE COLOR GAUGE (what seems to be the final puzzle):

Am I right in understanding there's no clue to this puzzle? None at all? That we're supposed to go through it in trial and error? Say it ain't so. That has doomed much better games than Realm to oblivion.

On a final, more positive note: I quite liked the music, it was atmospheric, relatively soothing and made a great background. I also liked the maze - I usually don't like them, but since I learned the "always go right" trick I get past them in a breeze. What I *really* liked, however, was your "cheat" at the start of the maze. Good call. Most players nowadays would rather sacrifice some points than go into mazes. I know I almost did, and I liked knowing that I had that choice. And in a way, having the choice actually made me WANT to go out and get those objects myself, in the maze. :)

All in all, good show. Polish your skills a bit and come back again, you're on the right track and no mistake.

PS - BTW, "Realm" is *more than loosely* based on "The Dig". ;)

PS 2 - Pablo mentioned a readme? There isn't one in the new version - the"No Debug Mode On" version, I presume.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Cinfa

trovatore is right.. I can't find the green orb..
Anyway I like the music and backgrounds too, it's a bit like beetlegeuse (beetlejuice?)

peter

I got over the 100 ... points. When i use the essence on the stone statue and make a new one again and again you get always 10 points ?
And how can you see how many points you have on the end ?
and are there a key to pass the intro.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

No way to bypass the intro, that's another sore point on this game.

And another way to get ten points: keep going back to get the lightbulb plant, and keep using it.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Stupot

Hey, I'm really enjoying this, the puzzles are tight and the atmosphere is great but I'm afraid to say I'm stuck.
I'll pose my problem in the hints section. cheers.
Well done on a great game... I look forward to your future projects.

Damien Project

Hi Guys,
Ã,  Bill gave me the pleasure of including some of my music for His first game and I just wanted to drop a note to Thank Him again and to also Thank You guys for the nice compliments on the music..It is very much appreciated!!

Dufferama

Hi Mark. Thank you for the great music. It was my pleasure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk