Critic of character

Started by , Wed 10/01/2007 05:12:49

Previous topic - Next topic

MBrown85

Hey, I only just started and this is my first character.Ã,  I plan (hope) to use him in an upcoming game.Ã,  Any constructive critisism is greatly appreciated.

thewalrus

Well done! Really nice job! I think for your first sprite, it reall looks great..... Welcome to the forums and the community!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Mr Flibble

That's really amazing, especially for a first sprite. The use of shading to show form isn't something that a lot of beginners pick up immediately, well done.

I might suggest adding am extra dark tone to the trousers, and removing the outer line of pixels on each arm. The face is great though. Well done!
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

MBrown85

Thanks guys!Ã,  I'm glad to get so many positive replies. I went back to work on him and finished all of the basic positions I would use in the game.Ã,  Let me know what you think.

The reason the last guy has no hands is because I really wasn't sure how to draw them, so I'm kinda leaving them till the last minute. Great work ethic huh?

P.S. Thanks for the welcome.Ã,  Glad to be here!

Sean

This was more for my own fun, than to try and suggest anything.. I'm not very good at this kind of stuff :P

As for the hands, I'd say slip the left one (OUR LEFT) into his pocket, and the other in the rear pocket.. or leave it loosely hanging.

InCreator

A nice character to edit over a long time!

2x:

* Quite hasty edit, but point should be visible: You have colors, use them!
* Black outlines is quite bad idea, I don't suggest this.
* Front view doesn't have to be so symmetric - it feels very artificial
* Line tool is your enemy, as long as you're inexperienced. Use more curves!
* Original picture showed body build and stance of a solider robot. Relax your character!
* Notice your own extremely obivious mistakes - back view for example. Do you see a huge, boring, inhuman rectangle?

Note to Sean: posting a JPG renders your help near to zero

But it's quite likeable character, and didn't turn out too bad at all. You messed up with chest-hands area, but everything else looks quite okay  ;D, especially face (most of amateurs have biggest trouble with face).

I messed up collar a bit myself, but I don't have time to fix it now  :(

Stupot

I quite likes that extra line of pixels on his coat in the first shot... make his jacket look nice and chunky... he looks cool though, definately use him.. does he have a name?

MBrown85

To InCreator: Wow, the rework looks great, and thanks for all the advice.  It's back to the drawing board  :).

To Stupot: His name is Damon Hart.

MBrown85

Ok, this is probably the last one I'll post, since I'm sure you're all sick of looking at them.Ã,  :)Ã,  I'll probably end up tinkering with them, but over all I'm happy with the way they turned out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk