Stairs Background (Formerly "Perspective")

Started by Stupot, Mon 12/02/2007 20:05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Ignore the fact that there is no colour.

What does everyone make of the perspective in this pcture, does it look realistic?

Ignore all the lines as well, they will be replaced by colouring but i just put them there to make the picture look busier and try to emphasise the perspective.

All comments welcome.

Daniel Thomas

The perspective was slightly off when I drew the perspective lines, but it wasnt obvious when just looking at it.. The only thing that confused me was the upper right side of it, by the third frame - is it a wall, does the ceiling get higher?
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Stupot

Yeh, that's supposed to be where the ceiling cuts away so you don't bang your head when walking up the stairs, but you're right it looks a bit wierd, I wonder how I could make it more obvious what its supposed to be?

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 12/02/2007 22:14:11I wonder how I could make it more obvious what its supposed to be?
Shading.

I think the perspective looks good.Ã,  I didn't have any trouble seeing the image.Ã,  Looks good to me.Ã,  The only area where I notice any kind of "maybe" is the floor line on the far left side.  Looks maybe a bit off.

Make sure to post the progress so we can see how it turns out!!

Daniel Thomas

draw two lines from it, now it looks like its all the same plane.

Stupot

Is this better?

I've put a lamp on the table there as a light source and just put a bit of grey on some of the area that would be in shadow.
I think that solves the little problem at the to of the stairs.

I dont want to get too involved in shading and colouring yet, this was supposed to be a basic skeleton of the room to get the physics right until I can get my hands on photoshop and then I can shine it up on there.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Darth I haven't forgoton about the left hand floor, I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Daniel Thomas

Ah ok, I missunderstood what you meant. I thought the ceiling was slanting up. Looks good so far. Maybe adding a foreground? Just a suggestion.

Kweepa

With the thick and thin lines and the basic grey shading, it looks awesome - like a Dan Clowes panel. I have the feeling that it's all downhill from here :=

To be picky, the stairs look a bit rough.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

MadReizka

I think that the stairs need some work too, they seem to popup for me as they seem to be different sizes.
I do music and visual effects:
http://www.distantshitfilms.net/personal/

monkey0506

You people act as though you've never walked up a slanted staircase in which each stair was a different size from the next!!! :=

And maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but the table doesn't appear to be quite right. The right hand side appears to be angled differently than the left side.

Nice room though. I like it.

Stupot

How's this?

I've pulled the door back, because the character isn't going to actually need to go in there anyway, it's there there because there would be a door there in real life.
I've straightened out the stairs to the best of my ability and I've added wooded flooring.

Monkey, I'll see if I can do anything about the table.
Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.  The more you lot tell me what can be improved, the better the end result will be.

auriond

It's looking fantastic, I'd love to play a game with a background like that. I'll admit the stairs bothered me too, but they look just fine now. No complaints.

Krysis

Awww, you added colour. It looked better without one. Like a newspaper comic or something.  :)

Nikolas

Actually, I also prefered it wihtout coulour! It was very well made! :) Not that now is bad...

The table on the left does look a tad weird though, still... :-\

Daniel Thomas

He hasnt even finnished the coloring.. Stupot, keep coloring, Im sure it will turn out great. The shading looks good enough, depnding on how much details you want, if you want "realistic" you should have shading under the table where the direct lamplight dont touch, also you could add shadows from the railing(?) of the stairs. Also the shadow from the stairs should crawl up the wall/bookcase(?) some.
If youre keeping the black lines, the maybe you should concider make the floorplanks longer and have less of them, right now there are alot of black lines in there - just a suggestion.

Keep up the work!

Stupot

Bit of a dramatic change, but don't worry, the colour wont stay like that.Ã,  I've been playing about with the shadow of the bannister (was a bloody nightmare), and i redid the lamp, and tried playing about with the table a bit but it doesn't look much better.

What does anyone make of it so far?

[Edit]
I've just had another look at it after a few hours and realised I don't like what I've done.
I think for the time being I'm gonna go minimalist until I get photoshop, and can have a proper play about.
theres only so much you can do in paint and without the use of layers, youre constantly repainting things that youve drawn through.

Daniel Thomas

dont forget that there is free programs like gimp.

zewb

Looks quite good. Did you use a vanishing point or did you just wing it?

Stupot

Quote from: zewb on Sat 17/02/2007 07:16:19
Looks quite good. Did you use a vanishing point or did you just wing it?
I tried winging it for the first pic, but when I redid the stairs I used a VP in the centre of the picture and it looks much better..

[EDIT]
I've finally got my hands on Photoshop, and it hasn't taken long to come up with something cool.
Sorry to those of you who like the grey minimalist version, but I always intended to make it full colour.

This is still nowhere near finished but what do you make of it so far?

I used a real wallpaper design and a real woodgrain effect and layered it over the picture, and used Multiply blending mode to bring through the bold lines, and the shadows... I think it;s turned out very well.

auriond

That's pretty close to how I do my backgrounds :)

You might want to consider some shading where the stairs disappear behind the right wall; at the moment the right wall seems to connect with the back wall, making the stairs seem strangely flat... just a suggestion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk