Buying a Domain Name

Started by Stupot, Mon 12/02/2007 21:03:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

What is the cheapest and/or best place to buy a Domain Name from?
I've been trying for ages to think of a good name, and I've been using Easily.co.uk to check for availability, but what sites did you all get your various domains from and are they cheap?

Evil

Domains aren't that expensive. GoDaddy.com is popular, and all sites will differ by a few dollars. Depending on what you want and what you want it for can help in your search. Do you want web space as well? I'm sure there are many threads around you could search for.

auriond

I personally like Namecheap.com . Slightly lower price than GoDaddy... although I can't say any more than that because I've only ever used Namecheap :P

BOYD1981

i got my domain name and hosting from www.dreamhost.com
the download/upload speeds aren't amazingly fast but it's a good cheap hosting solution and they keep increasing your webspace and monthly bandwidth each month. they also accept payment through paypal which is one of the main reasons i went with them.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Gregjazz

I get my hosting/domain from bluehost.com

Amazing deal for the best hosting ever.

Alynn

And since we are playing pimp my host.

Powweb.com, I haven't had an issue with them, other than one time for a week, and they gave me two more months of hosting free for that week. (PS if you join, use yelloweyedstudio.com as the referer).

EagerMind

For what it's worth, I've heard that it might be a good idea to keep the company registering your domain name and the company providing your web hosting separate. That way if you decided to change web hosts, there isn't a chance that they'll hold your domain name hostage.

One thing to check (related to above), make sure that the company registering your domain name is actually putting you down as the owner of the domain name, not them.

And I might as well pimp my domain registrar: Westhost. I haven't done extensive price comparison, but they seem a little cheaper than most other reputable services.

voh

I've got 7 domains at www.godaddy.com, and they've been terrific in both price and support. And to be honest, I like support more than a good price, and they've got both, so I'm set.

My hosting is over at www.hostgator.com, and they've been equally awesome, with good prices, dependable servers (if I add up all the downtime in the past 3 years it's approximately 5 hours) and good support.

Just a heads up :)
Still here.

Stupot

I bought my Domain name.
www.toxicsock.co.uk
I used easily.co.uk in the end but I'm going to take EagerMind's advice and use a separate company for the hosting.
Any other hosting sites that have been missed that I ciould check out?

Alynn

Well, to let you know the hosting company I use has a partnership with tucows. So tucows holds the domain, but you are registered as the owner (and you can change all the contact information if you wish to do so). So it does indeed keep the company that registers your domain seperate from the company that provides your hosting. They just have it in a one stop shop. However if you already own a domain name, you can easily set up with powweb to use that domain instead of one through them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk