I just got Grim Fandango! YAY!

Started by Fleshstalker, Tue 06/03/2007 21:14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshstalker

I just got it today and was having trouble in the installation because I kept getting an 16 bit error about MS DOS. I almost gave up on it and finally found a solution to it.

Apparently I wass missing 3 files to run it. Had to put in XP and type 3 commands. I ended up doing this 3 times. I was gonna give up on my last try and I finally suceeded! It worked!

What I played was pretty damn good. Now I gotta call my IP to cancel. Lets see if they give me another free month of online service, if not, this will be my last post for a while. Until I get back online. Bye for now!  ;D

EDIT:

Well I tried to cancel my internet service and they gave me yet another free month. 3 times in a row so far. LOL

I wonder if I can break my record when AOL kept giving me 7 months for free until they finally kicked me out. :)

Now I don't have to worry about this for another month or so.

m0ds

It's a great game, but I've only ever played it once. I've had installation problems in the past but the main factor is extremely slow cd-reading. Out of interest how well did the CD's respond for you?

CodeJunkie

I also bought it recently, but I'm assuming Lucasarts have resold it - it says 'Lucasarts Classic' on the cover (I assume still published by Lucasarts though).  Installed on XP machine fine albeit slow, and the game worked good as new.

Fleshstalker

Quote from: Mods on Wed 07/03/2007 00:07:56
It's a great game, but I've only ever played it once. I've had installation problems in the past but the main factor is extremely slow cd-reading. Out of interest how well did the CD's respond for you?

Well, I fully installed it to my HD and it runs like a dream when I was playing it for 10 minutes. No hiccups with my Dell Dimension 2400. It looks fantastic. I'm going to start playing it tomorro morning.  ;D

Quote from: SimB on Wed 07/03/2007 00:14:30
I also bought it recently, but I'm assuming Lucasarts have resold it - it says 'Lucasarts Classic' on the cover (I assume still published by Lucasarts though).  Installed on XP machine fine albeit slow, and the game worked good as new.

Well, the back of the CD booklet it says its from 1997. Its 10 years old! It was sealed by the way and cost me $28.88 minus shipping from Ebay.

veryweirdguy

I picked it up for £2.99 in a Gamestation store on my high street a month or two ago ^_^/

Played it through, 'tis still awesome.

HillBilly

I got the original boxed version so I guess I got some serious street cred here.

Grim Fandango is an excellent example on how adventure games should be made.

Phemar

My dad came home with GF a week after it was released.

Fleshstalker: Are you sure it's not 1998? I'm pretty sure GF was 1998.

Grim Fandango = Best game ever.

Fleshstalker

It definately says 1997 on the back of the booklet. Oh and this is the US copy. I did tell you all am from USA? Well if I didn't now you know.

As of now I've so far played about 2 hours of it and according to the progress puzzle sign above my save files, I'm about 1/14 or so. This is gonna be long and sweet. I just got to:

Spoilers:
-
-[
Where your're set free from Glottis's little office.
-
-
End spoilers.

The game is fantastic and the voice acting is top notch. Only thing I wish was if this was point and click. I find it hard to play games using the keyboards. I'll get used to it though. Also I wished every time you open your inventory and close it, you don't pull out an item. Thats about the only gripes I got in the controls.

By the way, whats the input code to post messages in spoilers. You know, to conceal it? I looked at the additional options but didn't find any to do so.

lo_res_man

Ah grim fendango, if music,  be the food of love play on.
This definatly my top 1 fave adventure game. its truly a joy to play.
The music is fantastic, the humor well written and the character are memorable, what more can one want?
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Mr Flibble

Since I had an original big cardboard box copy, I'm gonna feel like putting my head in a blender if someone's gone and *choke* thrown the box in the bin.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Fleshstalker

Well so far I've played 8 and a half hours. Finally got to the second year too! I still can't believe its about 10 years old and still it looks amazing. It has aged very well. I have a question though...

Spoiler
When you start the second year, I went to the wierd roulette machince in Manny's room and I could not exit the contrapcion, the only way was to pressed the escape key on my keyboard. Is that the way it is?

Also, when I used the machince some guy won a bet, but then I made him lose by not chosing number 2. He made a comment about the police. Now when I headed to the roulette room, the host told me about that guy and that he left angry. Now I'm wondering if you don't touch the contracption in Manny's room and head to the roulette room, will that guy (the one who mentioned the police) be still there? I kinda over save all my 3 files, so I can't go back to check.
[close]

Mr Flibble

Spoiler
Don't worry, you can't lose Grim Fandango. What you heard about the guy and the police was actually a clue for later, it was foreshadowing the use of the table and showing you how it worked.

And I think pressing Escape is the normal way, yeah
[close]
[

Fleshstalker

I just got done playing Grim right now (played a little over 3 hours non stop). This game is addictive. I'd read your  reply, Mr Fibble,  but since theres a spoiler warning. I think it'd be best for me to stay away from it till I beat the game.  ;D

I just sloved getting the case back. That whole puzzle to get to it was funny and well done.

cajunpepper

I played this game wayy back.. still got the original box so I guess its worth something?  Its a wicked game though.

Fleshstalker

GOOD GOSH!!!

I just got done playing a 7 1/2 hour marathon of it with no breaks whatsoever! Heh!

Well, I finally got past year 2. The Naranja part had me stumped for an hour.  >:(

Once I passed that, I was happy.  ;D

vict0r

This is indeed a great game. I used to own it but I think my parents gave it away or something... :'( I think I might "steal" it somewhere on das intarweb since I already bought it.

Fleshstalker

If the game was yours and your parents gave it away or something, make them buy you another one.

Ahy how, I just got done playing 5 and a half hours. I have never encountered a PC game which has made my eyes glued to the monitor for so long every time I play. This is definately the best PC game I've played in my life and quite possible the best game I've ever played (this is factoring gaming consoles).

So far I've been playing this game for a little over 29 hours and I'm on the 3rd year at this part:

Spoiler
I broke inside the huge holding safe where Mece is being held by Domino.
[close]

ManicMatt

Hmm? Wasn't this the thread where we were talking about the copyright year for GF? Am I losing it? Do we have two GF threads? Did a mod delete it??

Ah no, Im just losing it. That conversation was off-topic elsewhere. Doh!  ::)

vict0r

QuoteIf the game was yours and your parents gave it away or something, make them buy you another one.

They threw it away it seems. Don't see why I should pay for something I already paid for, so I'll just download it somewhere! :)

Mr Flibble

Before Timmy knew it, he was robbing convenience stores, murdering infants, and seizing control of nations with the intent of taking them to war.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk