About the talkie version of Day of the Tentacle installing using XP

Started by Fleshstalker, Sun 11/03/2007 19:17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshstalker

I remember running into installing problems with Grim Fandango. That was fixed by putting some missing files from my XP disc.

I would imagine the installing could possibly give me trouble with Day of the Tentalce. Would it install fine, or will I need something else?

I do know in order to run it I'd need that scummv thing.

Also, since I live in the US, will the UK copy run in my PC? I don't know much about PCs, I figured since videogame consoles won't play imports, perhaps the same is with PC?

AGA

You can probably just copy the files directly from the CD to a folder on your hard disk, then point ScummVM at the place you copied the files, and run the game. I don't think LucasArts used any compression on their earlier CD games, so this should work.

There is no country protection on the vast majority of games. Either way, I think ScummVM would allow you to bypass this, even if there was any protection.

Snarky

PC games aren't region coded, so a UK game will play fine in the US.

You don't necessarily need ScummVM to play DOTT, but it's definitely the easiest and best way to get it to run. As AGA says, just copy the files over, and ScummVM will figure out how to run the game.

Fleshstalker

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 11/03/2007 19:36:42
PC games aren't region coded, so a UK game will play fine in the US.

Sort of. I have seen game boxes that had 'will only work on X country operating systems'.  They are few and far between though.

LimpingFish

The most available version of DOTT, imho, is the Sam & Max/DOTT double pack on cd-rom, which is still sold at retail.

I don't think DOTT was included when LucasArts re-released versions of The Dig, Full Throttle, and Sam & Max to be compatible in Windows XP.

DOTT runs fine in ScummVM. If you have the double pack, just copy the "DOTT" folder to a suitable place on your harddrive and run it throught ScummVM. The single cd-rom version of DOTT can be played in the same way.

Speaking of availability, HMV seems to have got more "LucasArts Classics" stock in (the purple/blue boxes). They have The Dig, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, and Escape from Monkey Island, along with reissued Star Wars titles. I presume most HMV stores will have gotten them.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Babar

I have DOTT in a "LucasArts Archives Vol.1" collection along with Sam 'n Max, Indiana Jones and FOA, Rebel Assault, a Demo CD, and Star Wars Screen Savers. DOTT talkie works fine on XP from CD after installation and from Scummvm. I don't think you should have any problems.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk