Help with death scenes!

Started by broomie, Sun 29/12/2002 01:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

broomie

Hi, i'm new to the wonderful world of AGS, and since I'm new I will need to ask a few questions. I know how to use AGS a bit but when it comes to scripting, I just can't do it. I am just testing AGS so when I decide to make some games with it I won't have to cancel the project because I can't do this.

Oh yes... my question.

I have a Space Quest IV kind of death scene, where you see roger dying, and restore, restart and quit at the bottom. Now all I need to do now is to make it work exactly like SQ4 death scene. Could someone help me there please?
By telling me how to get it to function exactly the same  as the SQ4.

Cheers,

Broomie :)

Scummbuddy

I'd like to help you, but I do not know how the Space Quest 4 type of gui works.  What I saw in Monkey Island 1 when they had their joke off of Sierra, I can help you.

First off, create a blank background for you GUI in like MS Paint.  Then seperatly, the buttons and if you like what the buttons look like if they are pressed.  Next, create a gui in AGS.  It should have the background with the picture set to the one you made.  Perhaps just white with the text that says You're an idiot, you died, now what?  The select create a button, drag out one and when you can, make the background pic of the button to be your first button.  Same thing for the next two.  Then under GUI script:
have the Restore button bring up the
RestoreGameDialog();
have the Restart button bring up the
RestartGame();
have the Quit button bring up the
QuitGame(1);

listed below, I have info from the manual I think you would need.  If you have more questions, check up the QuitGame and the RestoreGameDialog scripts under the search for term box in the ags help file

---------------------------------------
SetRestartPoint
SetRestartPoint ()

Changes the game restart point to the current position. This means that from now on, if the player chooses the Restart Game option, it will return here.
This function is useful if the default restart point doesn't work properly in your game - just use this function to move it.

-------------------------------------------------

RestartGame
RestartGame ()

Restarts the game from the beginning.
Example:

if (IsKeyPressed(365) == 1) RestartGame();

will restart the game if the player presses the F7 key.
----------------------------------------------------

It will probably say something like this when you are done
----------------------------
if (interface == 3)  //the number for the GUI you create
   {
   if (button == 0)    // restore
                       {
                        GUIOff(3);
                        RestoreGameDialog();
          }
   if (button == 1)    // restart
          {
                        GUIOff(3);
                        RestartGame();
          }
                if (button == 2)    // quit
                       {
          QuitGame(1);
                       }
                }

-----------------------
Tell us if you have any problems.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

broomie

Cheers mate ;) You helped alot.

Scummbuddy

That's my job. 8)

Good luck with your game.  I hope you don't think I was talking down to you at all in the first post I made.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

holodude

Just thought I'd thank you for helping me out ... indirectly.  I needed to figure out how to create the death gui, and you helped me out a lot with the advice you gave broomie (even if the advice was given a long time ago).  Especially that restart point thing.  That will come in handy in future games.

That search feature sure comes in handy for times like these.  I wish I could thank the guy who invented the search capability.  He's a genius.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk