No download manager seems to work for me

Started by Fleshstalker, Sat 07/04/2007 00:52:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshstalker

I tried use two DM on my firefox and netscape and I can't get them to work. I tried following the faqs for each DM and for some reason when I click a download, it never uses the DM. Right now am using Fresh Download and the thing just don't work. I tried everything and this garbage won't work. Any suggestions? :(

Domino

You are eventually going to have to switch from Dial-Up to broadband. Things will be so much better once you do. When i had dial-up i wouldn't download anything, but after getting high speed DSL a couple of years ago, i download the biggest files with no problem.

Sorry about the DM's though, really not sure i can help you there.

Good Luck.. :)

you did mention in another thread you have dial-up. Am I correct?

Fleshstalker

Yes, I do have dial-up. I am used to it though as the biggest download I've ever done is 70MB on and off since that download had it's own resume program. That was the first episode of Sam & Max by the way. Short ass demo.  :(

Then to add to the problem is that my IP disconnects me every 4 hours no matter what since thats the way this IP does it's business, claiming it's to protect me from hackers. I shouldn't complain though as I just got another month free. This is the 4th time in a row that I've tried to cancel since I don't have the money to pay and they keep giving me free months. Heck, before  this I was on AOL and they gave me 7 months in a row of free online every time I tried to cancel.  ;D

BOYD1981

does firefox not have the ability to resume downloads built in? i know that opera does, although i think file resuming depends somewhat on the server the file is hosted on.
the only download manager i've ever used is MyGetRight when i had dialup a long time ago, although it was a standalone programme into which you just pasted the file url so i've no idea about the plugin variety.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Fleshstalker

Your right, some sites work with it and others do. I guess it's not the DM but the sites.

Nostradamus

Firefox can resume downloads if you use pause them yourself but I'm not sure it can if you lose connection.
What DMs have you used?  Getright and DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) are widely used in the internet with no problems.

FSi++

I used to use two: Download Master (adware) and FlashGet (shareware). Both are ok to use, with features like popupping popups when you click on the link (or copy some link into clipboard). I used fresh download too, but found it annoying or unusable, not sure, but I'm not using it anymore.

Opera's download resume works on dial-up while firefox's doesn't.
You'll need some specuial software for downloading files from things like rapidshare or megaupload etc.

Jhumjhum

I find Getright by far the best among free/free to try ones. And the nag screen also doesn't bother much. DAP is spyware-friendly and Flashget just didn't work!

But If you have a local firewall or something, then I'm afraid no download manager will work. (I had the same problem and found out that my LAN firewall was blocking all DMs, chatrooms and P2Ps)

You'll just have to try your download when the traffic's the thinnest.

Good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk