Whats the diffbetween Siera and Lucas?

Started by gamester, Mon 30/12/2002 03:34:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Raggit

I'm just the opposite Gonzo.

I've always saw Sierra as the superior company. They started the graphic adventure game. But really, there isn't a superior.

I hope we can all just appreciate both companies and let the big fight die.

--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Barcik

Quote from: Timosity on Thu 02/01/2003 09:28:34I think you can die in MI2 when you are hanging in the jail cell with wally, if you take too long you die, but I can't remeber what happens next, I think you probably get to play from the start of the scene again

Yeah, that's what happens.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Gonzo

Yeah, you plummet into the acid, then it cuts back to Elaine and Guybrush hanging underground (as seen in the intro), and Guybrush says something like 'Just joking, this is what really happened...'. Nice touch.

Andail

I think Lucasart has done marvellous games, but I consider it a bit strange how some people can prefer comical games exclusively...that would be like only watching comedies on TV ...I absolutely need some kind of seriousity once in a while.

CheapAlert

Sierra is based upon a sierra, and Lucasarts is based upon Hollywood. Lucasarts usually has bigger budget games than Sierra, hence the much better voiceacting.
I AM THE STAR TREK ADVENTURE MAKER.

Barcik

Quote from: Andail on Thu 02/01/2003 18:51:06I think Lucasart has done marvellous games, but I consider it a bit strange how some people can prefer comical games exclusively...that would be like only watching comedies on TV ...I absolutely need some kind of seriousity once in a while.

*cough*grimfandango*cough*
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Adamski

Lucasarts did Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (undoubtably three of best adventure games around), so that pretty much clinches and wipes the competition off the board for me.

Las Naranjas

LEC did get alot more polish on the games, if only for the fact the games were cleanly coded, which made Sierra games seem a bit buggy (of course Sierra could make themselves seeem buggy) and they didn't do silly things like use the CPU as a timer instead of the clock.

But you generally like what you grew up with.(Though I prefer LEC when I grew up with KQ2 and Mixed up mother goose)
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Ben

Is seriousity a real word?

Lucas Arts games definitely had a bigger budget. I don't think that really had any effect on the gameplay or storyline, but it did make the animation and voices better. Not necessarily the acting (Sierra had plenty of famous/has-been actors in their games), but more the production quality and consistency of the voices..

The thing I like most about Lucas Arts games is that the games are chalenging withour being frustrating. Even in games like FOA where I could die in a lot of places, I never felt like the game was unfair in any way. Sierra games have so many walking deads that I play them knowing I'll probably have to start over at some point because I forgot to pick up a grape thirty screens ago. And when I have to start over, the game really isn't fun anymore.

Andail

Well, it's a bit delicate, since Sierra more or less invented the genre...it's like comparing...
something that was much earlier...with something later....though prettier

Las Naranjas

If we compare the early 90's we might get something.

Both were at a high point.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Sluggo

Quote from: Timosity on Thu 02/01/2003 09:28:34I think you can die in MI2 when you are hanging in the jail cell with wally, if you take too long you die, but I can't remeber what happens next, I think you probably get to play from the start of the scene again

yeah, you can die in MI1 also, when you're in the water under the dock and you wait ten minutes, Gybrush drowns. But dying like that in Lucasarts games is only because you want to (unlike Sierra).

Raggit

I'm I the only one here who likes Sierra?

I can't see how there would be that much difference between them.

What we have here is a difference in opinions. Some like serious and others like comedy. Sierra did a pretty good job on their games. And I'm certain Lucas did good with theirs too.

Sierra made flaws here and there, but you can't tell me Lucas was perfect. Yeah, Lucas Arts had a bigger budget, but were the creators talented?

Money isn't the definition of a qaulity adventure game.

Talent is.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Adamski

Yes, the creators were damnned talented. No, Lucasarts did not primarily do comedy games. Sam and Max and Day Of The Tenticle could probably be described as 'comic' games... but the rest just had a lot of good dialog and sharp wit. The games i mentioned above are not comedy games, they just have humor in them.

Gonzo

LucasArts obviously had the talent AND the money for extremely good quality control, whereas Sierra were probably less at a liberty to polish everything so much, even though they had a lot of talent. I think Sierra produced a lot of adventure games at the same time whereas with LEC it seems they only ever developed a maximum of two games simultaneously, maybe that had something to do with it.

Las Naranjas

That may also be why a few more Sierra games have slipped through the cracks of history than LEC ones.

Sierra definately had talented people, its a pity they kept putting them in tired franchises ;)
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Timosity

I like both companies for different games, I feel sorry for people who only like one or the other.

At least in my mind I get to live in a world, gaining enjoyment from both.

but I also agree with Las, it's usually the games you are brought up with.

I first played LSL3 and SQ3, They will always be my favourites, later on I discovered MI 1&2, and thought wow another company is making cool games too.

It just doubles the Gamee Goodness

They are all good in there own ways.

The first game I actually recieved was Hero's Quest: So you want to be a hero. That series is up there too, along with the indy games, I actually probably played The Last Crusade before the MI series, at the time never even noticed the company (LucasFilm)

Raggit

Quest for Glory is arguably one of the best adventure game series ever made.

But don't argue about it.

I'm going to do my part of keeping peace between the companies and say Lucas is cool and Sierra is too.

I like Timostie's perspective. Why not enjoy both instead of trying to compete?
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Gonzo

Quote from: Raggit on Fri 03/01/2003 18:06:41Quest for Glory is arguably one of the best adventure game series ever made.

I'm starting to agree with this, having started the games a short while ago. I've just begun QFG4, and I'm most impressed. I can't believe the series has just passed me by. I even put QFG2 in my personal top 10 adventure games in a thread on adventuregamers, such was the impression it made on me. To be honest I think the standards did drop slightly with QFG3, which is annoyingly buggy and doesn't really get that interesting til the end, but still a great game. Definitely the best Sierra games I've experienced.

QuoteI'm going to do my part of keeping peace between the companies and say Lucas is cool and Sierra is too.

I like Timostie's perspective. Why not enjoy both instead of trying to compete?

Exactly - that's the best thing, just have an open mind and appreciate the best of both worlds, and you'll have more adventure-gaming fun than otherwise.

Matt Brown

I used to be die-hard sierra. But after I played some lucusarts games, I became converted.
Sierra did a better job telling a story, and worked in a few suttle gags
Their games were bigger, cost more and tended to be a wee bit more buggy. these games werre hard.

lucusarts had more budget, more gag, dialog and wit orented. The story wasn't as good, but still okay. The difficulty wasn't as bad as sierra games, and it was rare when you oculd die. but but but...the mad MI4...which was horrible.

I also liked dreamworks myself. The neverhood was great
word up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk