Concept art for cavetype game CandC

Started by SinSin, Thu 12/04/2007 22:36:35

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

This is a quick drawing i did at work for my game in the making
Any CnC would be greatly appreciated as i have the tired eye syndrome  :o

Currently working on a project!

gypsysnail

hey Sinsin, that is a brillant drawing for a quick drawing. At this stage I'm not sure what I can give in criticism. It really looksl like it will be a very interesting background and a game. Are the spikes rockery as well? Here is an idea for those, the bases of the spikes could have some definition, shadows, some cracks and impressions going up a bit - with broken lines along the way. Maybe curve the base of the spike thats in the middle of the cave/room, curve like a smile that is. Perhaps some small mound around the base too, lumpy mounds. The rest of the picture is excellent and I cant wait to see its progress. Good luck with it and keep us posted :)
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

Sparky

Did you ever play Uru? That sketch reminds me of the room containing the evil pressure plate puzzle.

I like the texture of the drawing. Is any of that going to make it into the final version? If I could change one thing, it would be to make the overall shape of the room less boxy. Hmm, let me try to find you a good reference image...

I don't know what your goal is- if you want to make the room seem like it's partially natural and partially artificially carved it's probably fine as it is. Neat work, I love caves!

SinSin

Hey chaps thanx for the comments
the room is a cave room artificilally carved out of rock underground.
the window is there to lets say throw a spanner in the works lol
the spikes are stalagmites/tites and i did loose some detail while scanning but only minor stuff  (shading on the floor)

and sorry i never played uru

thnx again

**edit  here is an update i have started working on today

X2

Moresco

Probably better if you don't put a line in your stalagmites base etc, because they don't really look that way.  It just makes them seem like they're lamp bases or something.
::: Mastodon :::

SinSin

Hello all me again i thought id add another background for Cand C rather than use up space creating another thread.

This is the intro room for my game it is a field next to a cliff edge....
Is it apparent and does anyone know of any more objects i can put in Baring in mind the area in question cannot seem to be inhabited by anyone by any obvious degree
Any CandC would be great

X2

Cheers sin

Moresco

How about some golf balls? lol I'm only kidding...

Yup looks like a field next to a cliff to me.  Maybe you could add some rocks, or stones, or a log.  Maybe a squirrel hole, or a couple flowers or weeds or hmm, anything really.

So this is going to be in the intro? It looks great I must say, worlds difference from the one I saw in the demo.

Sparky

That's a tricky idea to communicate- but it really does convey the idea of a cliff edge high above the ocean.

theRedPress's suggestions are good. I especially like the idea of stones or boulders. I'm not sure if it would fit the style (how much detail are you going for?) but it might be effective to add some texture to the ground- bare patches, grass texture, variations in the type of plant covering the ground, small weeds, etc.. This could quickly turn into a obsessively detailed background, and I'm not sure if you want to go that direction.

Nice job overall, I get a nice sense of the ground rolling gently and the height of the cliff. The foreground objects are a nice touch.

SinSin

I like the idea of the golf balls maybe a flag pole
Squirrel hole yeah that could work 
I completely forgot about flowers   nice one

Lol i dont wanna go too detailed i want more of a cartoony realism kind of a Normal dott style (eg Maniacmansion but more detailed ) 
i hope i havent lost anyone in my madness lol

**Has anyone checked the edits on the scanned image    see   Below    thanks

Medical Waste

Quick idea that might make it more obvious that there is a high cliff:

THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

SinSin

i like these ideas there all cool so here is the touch up
the log needs some details and a lamp post in the center will also be there soon
i have decided to leave the remaining untextured grass alone
A collage of my present works is on my new site including all the work seen here

x2

Moresco

Looks excellent.  Glad you went with the log ^^  Oooo a lamp!

SinSin

Sorry for dragging it back up back but I've been making some additions
textures and lighting any c and c will do

So anywho which do we like the most
a
b
X2
a
b

nihilyst

It's way too much noise for my taste. Liked your previous version better.

SinSin

Darth Mandarb

The problem I see right off the top is that the "noise" in the image is uniform from the top (distant) to the bottom (closer) ground plane.  Single pixel dots.  This gives it a feeling of flatness no matter the amount of shading.  I'd suggest keeping the noise up front (on the closer levels) and having it "blend" into solid colors as it gets farther away (or vice versa).  This will create depth that would help this image greatly!

Other than that I like the "mood" of the image and feel it's a pretty functional background for an adventure game!

S

I'd move the lighthouse somewhat to the left. Now it appears to be ALMOST placed on the grass instead of in the horizon.
Also, I find it a bit odd that there's a lamppost in the middle of nowhere. Maybe you could make a path along the railings?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk