what music do you listen to?

Started by Evil, Tue 31/12/2002 03:03:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Pixies, Beck, REM, Weezer, Radiohead, Tool, RHCP, Violent Femmes, Nada Surf, Ozma (California band), Rustic Overtones (dead local band), Beatles, Nirvana and.. um.. um.. um.. Foo Fighters.

magintz

Punk and Ska type stuff.

My three favourite bands are (and fav. song by them):
Reel Big Fish (She has a girlfriend now)
[spunge] (Kicking Pidgeons)
Greenday (Blood Sex and Booze)

I also like reggae (sp)......

And trance is strangly addictive to listen too...
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

TheYak

Quote from: Timosity on Wed 01/01/2003 14:26:35Thats just some I can Think of in no particular order, the ones with (AUS) are Australian bands you may or may not have heard of.

Well, since there are very few "seconds" to my selections, I gotta say Frenzal Rhomb and The Mad Caddies kick ass.  (don't care too much for Mad Caddies recent ska-only trend (sounds too much like 311)

cpage

Lets see....
Weezer
Ozma<---- awsome meaningfull lyrics
The Who
ZZ top
Tenacious D
Eric Clapton
Hot Water Burns Babies
More weezer
The beatles
Styx<---pre roboto
Greenday
Blink 182
MxPx< older stuff
Fastball
The Format <----awsome band
Oasis
Weird Al
The vandles
The Ataris
Less Than Jake
Bouncing Souls
Suicide Machines

Latest additions:
Pink Floyd  <--- I love "when the tigers broke free"
Our Lady Peace
Dick Cheese <-------- seriously funny jazz covers of popular songs

Timosity

Quote from: YakSpit on Fri 03/01/2003 01:25:55(don't care too much for Mad Caddies recent ska-only trend (sounds too much like 311)

I don't know if I've heard any recent stuff, but I saw them about 1.5 years ago in Sydney, I've got their album Quality Softcore and I've d/l some songs from Duck and Cover. They are great to see live, They for me are better live than Frenzal, Frenzal are great on disc but live they play too fast. I went backstage and met the guys from The mad caddies, It's good to see they are just average blokes not some up themselves try hard rockstars, I guess that goes with not being a huge band, they haven't lost their heads, Same with Frenzal, I met Jay from Frenzal about 10 years ago, now he's the only original member left, I'm not close friends or anything just really an Acquaintance.

If they sound like 311 now that's a bad move, but oh well, I'm sure they're still good to see live, Do they play very often around California, I think They're from Santa Barbara is that near you?

Las Naranjas

The caddies have one of the most awesome horn section ever.

But then the rest seems uninteresting.

But the horns are ace!

And Frenzal split up (they kicked off their bass player) and since Shihad became Pacifier for the American market, Frenzal became Shihad, and immedietly scored another American contract.

Reel Big Fish have a nice catchy song, they just release every few months again.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Highwaygal_loggedoff

Bands I like:
Ska-
Mad caddies
Spunge
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Rubix Cuba ;)
Reel Big Fish
Skankin' Pickle

Punk/Emo/Blargh-
Homegrown
Fenix TX
Useless ID
Good Charlotte
Zebrahead
The Ataris
Sublime
Bowling For Soup
Crease
Simple Plan
Mest
New Found Glory
Vandals
Turndown
Bigwig
Lefty
Longfellow
CKY

Blargh.

DGMacphee

QuoteYeah, by No Doubt I'm referring to the Tragic Kingdom era. And Manson's a dweeb. His gimmickyness exceeds his talent tenfold...

Have you seen Bowling For Columbine? I've never been a big fan of his music, but I find him a very intelligent and interesting person. In fact, he's quite normal compared to other people in the doco...

As for my music tastes, I've been listening to Sarah McLachlan lately... Other then that: REM, Paul Weller, New Order, Radiohead, Elbow, The Stone Roses, Simon and Garfunkel, Peter Gabirel, The Beatles, Doves, Muse, early U2, and some Annie Lennox...
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

NTL.

I also like Jim Croce! I can listen to him all day. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Hes the baddest man in the whole darn town,
or, moving me down the highway, Rollin me down the highway, movin ahead so life won't pass me by!

His songs have a lot of meaning, along with GOOD soundtracks. Too bad he only had two albums.
Duke Entertainment Message Boards (DEILF)
Duke Entertainment Official Website <-- Recently updated
uhhh... I Live Forever!!!

Shattered Sponge

I'm with DeeGee - I never really thought much of Manson, but after seeing Bowling for Columbine I gained a lot of respect for him.

Proskrito

No one even mentioned Led Zeppelin!!! nor Jimi Hendrix.... WTF!! :)

Pesty

Quote from: Proskrito on Fri 03/01/2003 14:47:03No one even mentioned Led Zeppelin!!! nor Jimi Hendrix.... WTF!! :)

I really don't like Led Zeppelin because I consider Robert Plant to be an untalented, drunken harpy in disguise. It's difficult because I love Jimmy Page, but I shall never get over my intense dislike for that poofy haired idiot that sings for them.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Trapezoid

I mentioned Mr Bungle earlier... I want you all to buy their 1999 album "California" right now. It's awsome.

Fuzzpilz

A list, in no particular order and incomplete:

(insert the usual "classical" composers here, especially Bach)
Jan Garbarek
Nick Cave
The Braindead Monkeys
Taco the Wonder Dog
Anja Garbarek
The Hamster Alliance
My own stuff
Muse (go on, laugh)
Aphex Twin
The Gland Puppies
Fidel and the Castronauts
Sigur Rós
Squarepusher
Venetian Snares
Yma Sumac
Rorn
Leningrad Cowboys
Logan Whitehurst and the Junior Science Club
Scumbucket
Renaldo and the Loaf
Rorn
The Residents
Portishead
Pink Floyd
Photek
Amon Tobin
Peter Licht
Nightwish
Mouse on Mars
Moloko (of what I've heard so far, I only like the first album)
Klaus Beyer
Melt Banana
The Kinks
James Brown
The Who
Introspective Journeys
Helge Schneider
cellular
Lunatic Calm
Apocalyptica
Fidel and the Castronauts.

Also, Fidel and the Castronauts and Fidel and the Castronauts.

Las Naranjas

Hey Gal-When they're done mastering the new single, i was told to give it to you to spread round Israel.

Stick around!
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Sluggo

Believe it or not, I used to listen to Mr. Bungle all the time. It still holds a special place in my heart. :P But anyway yeah, I recommend their first CD (I think it was just called 'Mr. Bungle'). Everything's great on that. I can't say I liked much from the third CD though (California). The only song I really liked was Sweet Charity. And, uh Disco Volante sucked ( I never even bothered to buy the CD).

TheYak

Quote from: Timosity on Fri 03/01/2003 03:50:05
Quote from: YakSpit on Fri 03/01/2003 01:25:55(don't care too much for Mad Caddies recent ska-only trend (sounds too much like 311)

If they sound like 311 now that's a bad move, but oh well, I'm sure they're still good to see live, Do they play very often around California, I think They're from Santa Barbara is that near you?

Heh, I was actually referring to Quality Softcore. =]  Maybe I'm mistaken and they're moving away from it.  I bought two of their albums..  Rock the Plank and Q.S.  I didn't like the Ska of Q.S. but think Rock the Plank is a total frickin' work of art.  I haven't seen 'em but wouldn't mind.. Santa Barbara's about 5 hours away from me but I'm near some decent show cities... San Francisco being one.  I've currently added (though tentatively until I hear more of it) Tsunami Bomb to my list.. one of the few female punk vocalists I like and they're from my area (two of 'em work at the local music store).

Trapezoid

Tsunami Bomb... that's Logan Whitehurst's sister's band. Logan is r0x0r.

TheYak

Quote from: Trapezoid on Sat 04/01/2003 08:52:25Tsunami Bomb... that's Logan Whitehurst's sister's band. Logan is r0x0r.

Heh.. I was just listening to a Sam and Max Disco mp3 I have around...  and just noticed the author. >=]

Las Naranjas

I have your MI2 techno medly, I remember downloading it from a 1337speak infested site.

shame Trap, shame.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk