Rise of the Hidden Sun - New Artwork - November 26, 2012 - "Off the Rails!"

Started by chapter11studios, Sun 06/05/2007 18:21:20

Previous topic - Next topic

chapter11studios

Arizona, 1869. An ancient Indian legend, a mysterious secret society, and a down-on-his-luck cowboy with a knack for finding trouble are about to cross paths in Rise of the Hidden Sun, a new point 'n' click comedy adventure game in development by Chapter 11 Studios.

With nothing to his name but his wits, his six-shooter, and a tattered old treasure map, 'Rattlesnake' Jake Dawson needs you to help him win the greatest treasure hunt the Wild West has ever seen -- because the very fate of Western Civilization is at stake, and Jake isn't the only one on the hunt...

Who is the deadly outlaw Mary Jane Clayton, and why has she devoted her life to finding a legendary lost city of gold? What is the mythical Hidden Sun, and why will a murderous secret brotherhood stop at nothing to get it? And perhaps most importantly of all, is Jake willing to sacrifice everything to stop them from succeeding?

When completed, Rise of the Hidden Sun will feature:

- A simple Sierra-style point 'n' click interface
- More than 100 beautifully illustrated game screens
- A full musical score and sound effects
- Thrills! Chills! Spills! Laughs?
- An engaging story told in four downloadable episodes

Screenshots

Sample Character Sprite

Progress

The story of Rise of the Hidden Sun will be told over the course of four episodes. The first three will feature cliffhanger endings that flow into the grand finale of episode four. Work on episode one is nearly complete:

Story: 100%
Puzzles: 100%
Dialogue: 100%
Game Screens: 50%
Music: 100%
Sound Effects: 20%
Animation: 25%
Scripting: 10%

Status Update: February 28, 2009

You didn't think we'd abandonned this project, did you? Here's where we're at:

1) To take advantage of the 1024x768 screen resolution now available in the newest version of AGS, we're in the midst of repainting and re-sizing many of the original screens done several years ago. This is going very quickly, and has been outsourced to a wonderful and enthusiastic artist in Poland. 

2) The re-painting is happening simultaneously with the work by our new animation lead, Wyatt Miles of Flash Potatoes, LLC. Many of you will have seen his work on Dave Gilbert's Emerald City Confidential. Wyatt and his team are nearly done with the first 90 second cutscene, an animated movie that opens the game. Expected completion date for that is April, and when it's done I'll post it here as a bit of a teaser trailer.

3) Wyatt is also working on the in-game sprites. These are coming along well, and you can see the Jake sprite above.

In summary: Work continues, it's going really well, but no, I'm not yet ready to announce a release date. Sorry!

Andail

Nice to see you back on track!

Oh, and I think I recognise that bottom right background there :) I was under the impression that it was rejected? Or will you keep it until you get a better one? Glad to see you still use it, anyhow :)

Iv4n

Steel Drummer

I've never seen this game before, but I'm glad you've decided to keep making it. It looks professional!
I'm composing the music for this game:

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ghost

Heavens, and I thought you'd let that project die! I'm tracking that jewel since I read your essays over at AdventureGamers, and was already preparing for the worst: That this game would never see the light.

Apparently I worried unduly. Thank you for that!

Dualnames

My god you can draw like God himself(This is an expression). Awesome background and character art. The style reminds me of DIG. Which is a very good thing. My god I'm like stunned here. Good job.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

GarageGothic

Looks great. I think the new, less cutesy style of characters will fit the story much better, and the villain looks very villainous indeed. I just hope that the huge amount of screens won't mean another Al Emmo experience (wandering about tons of screens of  beautiful desert areas with little purpose other than  finding the right cactus).

chapter11studios

QuoteI just hope that the huge amount of screens won't mean another Al Emmo experience (wandering about tons of screens of  beautiful desert areas with little purpose other than  finding the right cactus).

Actually, the episodic nature of the story helps keep the puzzles on track, in my opinion. While there are about 100 total screens, for example, episode one gives you access to only about 25. I'm not a fan of the "hunt for a random item" style of puzzle, either. I have some inventory based challenges, but even those are more logic-based than I've seen in a lot of games.

I think there's quite a lot to like about Al Emmo, but it's a totally different animal. There's really no similarity at all between the two games other than they're both set in the west.

I like Rattlesnake Jake's chances in a gunfight. ;)

GarageGothic

Thanks for the explanation. The gameplay sounds very nice. I had actually forgotten that the game was episodic, and knowing that 100 screens seem a bit less intimidating :)

Vel

It's great to see this one back in production! Seeing as AG have started a new Adventure Architect, are you still going to write for them?

Ali

I'm delighted to hear this is still a going concern. The screenshots look better than ever!

*Ali fires pistols in the air*

thewalrus

Wow, this looks amazing. Is it going to be free or commercial? Just wondering.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Dan_N

I remember reading about this some time ago and saying to myself: "What a waste..."

But now it's back!

I like the idea of it, and the Indiana Jones air of it, this looks like a game I'll have hours of fun playing, can't wait.

I'd also like to applaud the artists working on this project, the game looks amazing.

And walrus, it's going to be freeware. At least that's what the team says for now ;).

Peder 🚀

YAY!!

Finally you are back!
I been looking forward to this game ever since you first announced it!

I noticed the neat poster on the website with a train on it.
Will there be any trains in the game? :).

Dan_N

Also, I'd like to ask, seeing as how this is set in the west and the hero is quite manly, will there be any gunplay?

chapter11studios

QuoteAlso, I'd like to ask, seeing as how this is set in the west and the hero is quite manly, will there be any gunplay?

Hmmmm, how to answer this without giving anything away? Yes, Jake will be able to use his gun to solve puzzles, but there will not be any action/arcade type sequences.

QuoteI noticed the neat poster on the website with a train on it. Will there be any trains in the game?

Yes! Episode three is entitled "The Great Train Robbery" and does, indeed, involve an extended sequence on a train.

QuoteIs it going to be free or commercial?

Free! Why? Read our FAQ: http://www.rattlesnakejake.com/faq.htm

QuoteSeeing as AG have started a new Adventure Architect, are you still going to write for them?

I've talked with the folks over at Adventure Gamers about doing one final installment of my old Adventure Architect series just to bridge the gap between my last entry and today. Sort of a "how to avoid the pitfalls that made me stumble" kind of thing (or, if only I'd known then what I know now...). Look for that later this summer. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying what Deirdra is doing with her take on Adventure Architect.

Peder 🚀

ankushm999

Wow the screens look so *sniff* beautiful  :o
This is so amazing! I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it  ;D

Darth Mandarb

I usually avoid commenting on games in here ... but I just wanted to say this looks/sounds bloody fantabulous!

Totally professional.

I remember some time ago doing a paint-over for Jake ... but he looks much better now than he did then.  Though I did love the paint-over I did :)

Keep up the great work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk