Rise of the Hidden Sun - New Artwork - November 26, 2012 - "Off the Rails!"

Started by chapter11studios, Sun 06/05/2007 18:21:20

Previous topic - Next topic

theo

I like the new characters. Keep up the good work!

Stupot

Just seen this on the ROTHS Facebook page:
QuoteOur lead animator just accepted a job with Electronic Arts. So that's good news for him, but bad news for us... because now we need a new animator! Anyone know anyone?

Who's gonna step up to the plate?

chapter11studios

The rumors are true. Our lead animator has left the project. The fact that this keeps happening has led me to re-evaluate what we're doing here with the whole game.

Honestly, I'm tired of having to put the game on hold every time we need to find a new professional-quality animator. So I've made a big decision.

We're going old school. Goodbye millions of colors and 1024x768 screens. Hello "Rise of the Hidden Sun: Retro Edition" in all of its 16-color, 320x200-pixel glory! I've already converted two screens to the "retro" format and plan to have the whole game reformatted by the end of the month.

From there, it'll be a piece of cake to animate the thing myself.

More details and an extended preview here: http://rattlesnakejake.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/announcement-rise-of-the-hidden-sun-retro-edition/

Mouth for war

Good luck with this game :)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

ThreeOhFour

Have you considered downsizing the backgrounds you have, and using the painted backgrounds with pixeled sprites over top?

Other than that, perhaps you could make it all in 3d, and put in FPS elements! Make it like the old Outlaws game :D

Cyrus

I must admit we all fell for that. It's April Fools!

CaptainD

I like the new screens.  They have a character that the old ones lacked!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good AF mate.

chapter11studios

Yep, April Fool's! Thanks for being such good sports, everyone! We *are* still looking for a new animator, but we're not even toying with the idea of scrapping these beautiful background screens. (Although it was a lot of fun to re-do them retro style.)

Here's your reward for putting up with my little prank:

Here's a look at one of our newest creations, a long vertical screen that hints at some of the areas you'll be able to explore in Rise of the Hidden Sun's first episode. This isn't a finished product yet, but it's pretty close. Hope you like it!

chapter11studios

I've been a bit slow with the updates lately, so I thought I'd share our most recently completed screen. As you can see, we’re still hard at work on RotHS. This one is a secret entrance into the haunted mine area of episode one.

Sadly for our hero, ‘Rattlesnake’ Jake,  the ways appears to be blocked by a very large boulder. We know that kind of trap doesn’t turn out so well for Indiana Jones. Will Jake have better luck? And what’s the significance of all this vulture iconography, anyway? Hmm...

theo

Good to see this project moving along nicely.

Don't be afraid to cast some harsher shadows! Your scenes will pack a lot more of that matinée indy punch if you do.

Jackpumpkinhead

if you dont mind me asking, what program do you use to create your backgrounds?
currently on an indefinite hold.

chapter11studios

They start as paper and pencil, then get scanned into either PSP or Photoshop and then colored from there.

Armageddon

What type of pencil do you use? How do you get shading like that with a pencil?

chapter11studios

Just wanted to drop in and share this new scene we're working on. It's for episode one. Going for a bit of an Indiana Jones vibe here, as always.

Hope you like it!

SuperDre

Ghost

Each time I see this resurface I get exited all over it again. Looks very good, and nice to see Rise is still alive and kicking!
(I can't help it, though, I actually LIKED the retro style you proposed earlier.)

Lumpupu

arggh, this is the kind of game that always makes me want to give up on my game due to the graphic department... at firts, i always go to the old school 320x200 resolution, but then i look everywhere to this stunning backgrounds and sprites and just keep thinking " what should i do, whaaaaat?"

i always get the same answer in my head: just GET YOUR F**** GAME DONE and shut up!  ::)
"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain". Gosh... Gotta love musicals!

arj0n

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk