Do AGSers make games using other methods?

Started by Dan_N, Sun 13/05/2007 19:05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_N

I'm just curious whether any AGSer around here has made, or is making a game but not with AGS, either by programming it from scratch, or with another game making tool. If so, then you can showcase them here :). Post screenies, download links, etc. if you like. People can also comment on them, if they wish...

I've got a couple, but they're both prototypes:
Industrial Revelations Prototype #2 - A tycoon-like thingy... Manual included, but incredibly badly written... Almost finished, only high-scores table needed to be added...
Zombie Attack - A text-mode horror-like shooter, or something along the lines. I actually had planned for an editor for it, but I got bored with it.

Both I've programmed from scratch using Borland Pascal, so they're for MS-DOS.

And well, there's of course Cyb Game Factory, which I'm making with Visual Basic.

That's it on my part, what about you?

Radiant

Sure. Check my site (http:/crystalshard.net) for SubTerra, Leylines and Block-O-Mania, all written in other languages such as Visual C++.

TheJBurger

Before AGS I used a text-adventure toolkit called ADRIFT. It was decent, and I made some adventures with that. (No links - they're too embarrasing to show the rest of the world)

After that I tinkered around with something called Indiana Java, which was too hard for me at the time.

I also made some text adventures in BASIC that were parodies of the dungeon man 3000 parody on homestarrunner.

And then I found AGS and I don't even think about using other engines.  :=

vertigoaddict

I'm almost finished with my RPG maker 95 one (the modiified version,so it would work on all windows version, still have two major flaws; I can't rewrite the item or magic names...so everything depends on story or gamepay)

I'll post a link once I've finished and upload it somewhere...I still don't know how to though, but I am a member in filefront (I'll search the forums and see if anyone asked a question on how to upload games)

R4L

Ahh I remember those days... I had RPG Toolkit 2, making lame RPG's. Then I went to learn DarkBASIC, which was really boring and not worth my time. Then on to AGS, which has been my favorite.

So have I made any games using anything else? Yup, really lame ones.  :D

Sadistyk

I'm trying to make a card game named 'Truco' with Delphi. It's not finished yet, but any time soon.

Sam.

We created a game called whip-de-doo.

The methods we used were a balloon, a scarf and a corridor in our halls.

Bye bye thankyou I love you.

InCreator

I'm currently having rapid development phase on "Silent oaks"(working title).

It's basically close to a remake of Interplay's ancient "Castles II: Siege & Conquest" localized on Estonia and crusade here during 13th century, though there's stuff that wasn't in original game, and some that was, but won't make into my game.

(please move rocks and sticks out of reach before reading further)

I'm using Game Maker 6.3 for this project. At first, I planned to program it from scratch in Visual C (with intention to learn finally some C!), but quickly understood that I don't have required level of mashochism in my nature. :D

It's in quite early stages yet, the battle and plotting system is only started and main map gameplay is half-functional.

Dan_N

InCreator, that seems awesome, I wish you good luck with it.

Sadistyk, count your blessings, due to certain idiots in my family I can't have Delphi, :'( but good luck with that.

Also, I found this little trinket while browsing my work directory:

Cyb City Text-Mode Prototype - My attempt at a Sim City-like game. It plays almost exactly like the Maxis version, only it's in text-mode, and it's more number-based than position-based... Or something... Just download it... If you like.

There was also an older version, which was just like a text simulation, not really any placing of buildings and such... just endless numbers... good thing that got lost with my old 486 computer...

EDIT: I also found a Fight Test thingy, but, seriously, it's too bad to show to anyone...

FSi++

Back in my ZX Spectrum ages I used to program its flavour of Basic (needless to say, rather cute one) and even made some crappy games with it. I never let nobody near them, and as you can clearly see, most of humanity is sane at the moment.

Then I discovered some text adventure mastering tool for it (most likely it was GAC, but I can't quite remember now) and played with it a bit. My masterpiece was almost three locations big and comprised breathtaking amount of one "open the chest" puzzle. Now it is lost forever, thank whatever deity you praise.

Now, in my early PC era I mostly slackered and played works of other people, once in a while trying to make something with C++ (generally with no results).

Then I've found AGS, played with it for a while and bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

I also made one awful hard-coded IF (in Russian). Its name can be (remotely) translated as "Shit Thrasher" and you don't (I said you DON'T) want to see it (or its remake).

Not to mention my affairs with Inform, which yielded such masterpieces as HoundHouse (interactive essay about negative factors of alcoholic beverages) and Shit Museum: Mystery At The Museum Of Shits, both stuck in beta testing phase. Maybe I'll revive HoundHouse at some point, though.

Ghost

Oh yes, there's quite something on my slate, thus answering the question if there is a life BEFORE AGS but leaving the actual question of a life AFTER AGS tactfully open...

First, a Centipede clone written purely in Turbo Pascal as a school project. It was ugly, but you cannot imagine the pride that fueled me for about a week.

Then there was Klik&Play, which was basically crap, but still offered me the opportunity to give the world its upteenst Pac Man clone.

Using INFORM, a quality tool for making interactive fiction, I wrote The Chimera's Bane, a small yet neat story about a cursed woman trying to restore an ancient temple in the forests. It was here where I discovered my love for curses, women hit by curses, and women in general.

Then: Elements, a board puzzle game where you moved little element orbs (fire, water, air, earth) around to form combo shapes. You had to cope with the fact that sometimes the elements would react, e.g. air (cold) freezing water to ice.
This one was done in DIV. Quite a versatile game maker, but today it's almost impossible to run it on XP.

Currently I'm getting my teeth off of C++, and my current project folder has a Plantasia clone in it. Casual games, let me tell you, are very good for you. It's amazing what insights you get into mundane life. Last time I was to lazy to bring the trash down, I merely bought two additional trash cans, painted the three of them red and put them in an exact line, and THEY DISAPPEARED, just as Bejeweled teaches us.

I have to admit that I prefer makers. Tools like DIV, Game Maker and AGS really are all the more impressive if you've ever tried to create a working Open GL window by yourself. And it's much easier to ask for features if you know that you don't have to dig through all the source code by yourself, too.

m0ds

Interesting topic! In the past I've used QBasic, but it was damn hard to make EXE's - let alone games that looked any good. Then I used Delphi for a while, got a little way into developing adventure games after strangely loving the Windows interface in Dare to Dream and Hugo. Me and a friend purchased and used The Games Factory only to find it was really shitty when it came to distributing EXE's, and I didn't like it because I'd planned a whole 3D racing game and it turned out that couldn't be done with it. :P That's about it. I once wanted to learn C++, but found printing "Hello world" was too tough for me!! I think my most recogniseable achievement with another engine remains to be "Broken Glass" made in QBasic (still available at Screen 7). Nowadays I don't have any working programming languages on CD to use, only AGS really. So that's where I'm trying to concentrate my skillzzz!1

Anyway, Inca & Sadystic - both games look great! You've even made a Delphi application look great :D Well done!!!!!

Ciro Durán

Well, yes I do!

I did a Flash version of Lode Runner for a college project (a videogames course I took). I did most of programming and graphics. My partner did the maps (the first 5 from the original game).

You can play it by visiting this site. Don't mind the spanish gobbledygook, just click the movie icon.

Screenshot!

I also did a couple of Java mobile games. A tic tac toe and a solitaire game are the ones I know got published. There is also a bocce simulator and a tetris look-a-like which I doubt got published. Anyway, here's a screenshot of the solitaire.

If we go anymore further, there was a Uno card game, which I consider my first serious attempt at doing a game. It allowed me to learn a lot of Java, Swing, and other stuff. I see the site is still up in my old college homepage (in English), so you can take a look at my state back then :-).

Other abandoned projects included a raycaster I did in Allegro and C (yes, plain C). It taught me way a lot about C much before I got to use it in college. That's another screenshot for you:

Guess I did have a couple of things done before :'( Makes me cry... (or maybe not)

LUniqueDan

Using C64 basic, I proudly make a 1 room game with 3 interactions and 1 huge puzzle :
Click on the grate. Click on the key. Click on the front door. Wow, You win.
Then discover that the 32k of Ram was near overflow.

After that, I did a huge 5 rooms text parser/graphical adventure, back in time, using Q-Basic (sign of having a masochistic personality disorder). With such hundreds of command lines as : Lines(x1,y1,x2,y2) to draw a single room bg.
(I never laugh of MSpaint since then)

Make some try with VB, some others with an unkown freeware found un the net. Until I discovered AGS 3 yrs ago and here I am.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Game Maker is great, Increator.  I'm using it every so often to make a blaster master clone called...Master Blaster!  And then there's Ninja Mon, but that's in the background for now.

Sam.

Whip-de-do update.

It is now a two player combat game. The first person to reach the end of the corrider must drop scarf, rush to the middle of the corridor and pick up the celebratory intercom phone.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Andail

Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 15/05/2007 10:42:54
Game Maker is great, Increator.  I'm using it every so often to make a blaster master clone called...Master Blaster!  And then there's Ninja Mon, but that's in the background for now.

I remember how addicted me and a couple of friends was to Master Blaster, which we played on Amiga with four joysticks.
That is, if Master Blaster is the game I'm thinking of, with characters on a screen bombing tiles to get power-ups and similar, and the goal was to blast your opponents.

Medical Waste

I'm working on a top-scrolling shooter in java right now using lwjgl.
THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

Akatosh

I started that Winertia Drive project about 2 years ago, then froze it, then never looked at it again till right about now.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/FAMILIAR_QUEST/winertiadrive.png

Erenan

I used to write simple text based adventures on my C64 when I was a kid. Then, I wrote slightly less simple text based adventures with QBasic. There was even one that was almost complete that was all about my high school.

Later, I wrote a basic Tic-Tac-Toe game in Visual Basic in between teaching the other programming students how to do their homework while the so-called teacher played Starcraft in the back of the room.

I'm looking to start using Game Maker one of these days. And Inform.

And one of these days I'll learn C++.
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk