I've been using the last day to work into the new 3.0 editor and I really dig it so far. It's really improved A LOT!
My knowledge of AGS in its newer versions is a bit rusty, so please cope with me. Plus, while having read a lot of the threads on the development, I can't promise I've seen all the information - so, I hope I don't repost any issue - if I did, please excuse that.
First things first, I have only very minor complaints sorted kind-of by importance from very to not-very:
- I dislike the way tab-indents are handled. In the old editor and all other programs, a tab is not broken up into the "spaces" it consists of, the new editor does that. It's really confusing for tab-lovers such as me. You press tab, hit left-arrow (which used to jump back a tab) and now, with 3.0, you're going back one space "into" the tab. I didn't see anything wrong with the old, standard way of tabbing.
- I love how modules are "gone" and now represent a new script-file, that's very nice. While it's been possible to split up code between several files (or modules), it's always been quite the annoyance with the module-manager etc., now it's really awesome. However, I would suggest to add directories for the files. For example:
+ Mouse cursors
- Global Script
+ Other file
I know that this is a matter of taste, but the "double" entries in the scripts-hierarchy are somewhat confusing (as the only difference lies in the last letter of the file-extension). What do the others think?
- It was somewhat tricky with the manual to get the way RawDrawing works now. I managed to get it down, now, but maybe there should be a dedicated entry in the manual for "old" users? Or have I overseen that?
- New tabs open on the left. I think I read something about this, but couldn't find the post now. To me, that's very irritating. I expect new tabs to open on the right, not on the left pushing all other tabs away to the right. If this is really down to taste and other people prefer this "left-way", then maybe make it customizable in the preferences?
- I noticed *= and /= are not supported. Any special reason for that? I think both symbols are pretty useful.
- When I load a bigger game, the editor appears "stuck" for a few seconds. Specifically, after clicking "Ok" on the "load-recent-games" dialog. The dialog appears and nothing happens for a second or something. Then the right-hand side hierarchy-pane blinks and the game is loaded. How about a small "Loading game..."-message-box in that time? Especially for users with slower machines working on larger games.
- And, the least important issue: when I start up the Editor, the hierarchy-pane on the right-hand side isn't pulled to the left enough. The words (for example "Inventory Items") are cut off in the middle. My resolution is 1280x960 with WinXP, I suppose this is a simple calculation flaw?
I'm very happy with the new stuff, though. Amazing work!