Infinity String - v 1.04

Started by Sektor 13, Mon 02/07/2007 21:18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Finished and liked it! Here's my sort of review:

The Strong:

* You're using same drawing style as I: brighten/darken over plain colors, and you really used it well!
* Music is so well chosen... not that the tracks are good (they ARE, but--), but main power lies in that they were well chosen and really fitted with game.
* Puzzles weren't too hard and some felt really classical
* Interface is simple and loveable. I especially liked double-click exit thingy, I discovered it seconds after I started to feel that main character walks too slowly
*Locations looked interesting and made me want to explore further
* Dialogs are simple and functional
* The game has really classic feel, just like playing any LucasArts' games
* Main menu screen is hardcore, so are most of intro animations!

The Weak:

* Dialogs are too simple and short. It's two-sided thing, it's not bad, but a bit of spice could made them even better. Like some character construction. People with feelings, etc
* The story is a mess. I can't help about it, but it felt like playing one of latest Yathzee's games: too much unanswered questions and hard to get into story. Whole intro was about Delegians and suddenly it's all about Earthlings...? well, messy. I never understood story enough until very end, which also came as surprise. I think that it's my own personal opinion, and doesn't apply to other players
* Characters look poor compared to backgrounds. Let me simply say it: characters lack our top character artist's influence! You should have spent some time in Critics Lounge with them... This is especially hard with player character, he doesn't look nearly as cool as any characters from the Dig, for example (I say Dig because your game is full of Dig :D). But they're functionable alright.
* Character closeups... well, most of them... suck. Sorry to say this, I bet they took a load of time to draw. Next time, get some photos and trace, to get face anatomy right. Then modify to a look you want.
* The detail of various backgrounds varies too much. For example, jungle bg's are really detailed, but ship/ice backgrounds feel a bit empty and rushed.
* The game (1.01) is still full of translation/grammar errors, and some words doesn't exist in English.

And main thing, the only thing that felt REALLY wrong with your game:

* Characters have no soul. Really, they don't. Probably most interesting character was the janitor and even he had so few lines that it was near zero. Next time, add some moods, personalities, drama and you'll get alot more atmosphere so you don't have to work your ass off picking music and drawing for hours. Interesting characters could do alot of impressing for you.

Well, that's what I think of this game, and in conclusion, I'd say this is surely one of best AGS games over a long time, but lacks a tiny bit of polish to be really perfect. I hope I wasn't too harsh on you, and you'll take this as constructive criticism, but I'm also sure you will make your next game twice as good.

Sektor 13

Hey

Thanks for the strong critisism.  I really like it !

I agree, dialog were short -> problem is that somewhere in the middle i didn't want to spend much time on the game anymore.  And you can see that in some parts of the game.
Story is kind a complicated and i guess i am not that good at explaining it -> i was kinda afraid about that, it's a mess, thats why I tried to explain that with the FAQ on the previous page.
I always have problems with drawing "living" objects... and i think this won't change soon.
I agree even with backgrounds too.

I'll think about it -> but i don't know if i will make another game... Don't worry, not because of your critics, but it just take soo much time, and I really had to force myself to complete this game.

Igor

Sektor 13- amazing!
I'm not really that far into the game (solved a couple of puzzles) but so far i'm blown away! Great atmosphere, beautiful graphics and interesting story.
To be honest, it's the first adventure (be it amateur or commercial) in a long time, that really got my interest.. and i can't stop playing it.
Bravo :)

Stupot

Quote from: Sektor 13 on Sun 08/07/2007 09:08:15

I'll think about it -> but i don't know if i will make another game... Don't worry, not because of your critics, but it just take soo much time, and I really had to force myself to complete this game.

Waaaht?
This is one of the best games of the year.  Okay so theres a bit of a lack of depth in the dialogue... but other than that I'm really enjoying it and the graphics are beautiful... you know you don't have to do it all yourself... I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to work with you on your next project to take the load off and speed things up a bit.   But don't quit now, please.

tuoms

Sorry to bother again, but I thought I'd point out that the Linux-compatible version still crashes after the scene with "death". Good game so far. ;)

Sektor 13

Hey, crap, i forgot to remove 1 line... hmm I guess i'll have to make another linux version than..

strazer

If you don't know already, you don't have to remove every line manually.
You could set it up like this:

Code: ags

// main script header

// Uncomment the following line to compile a Linux/Mac version:
//#define NOPLUGINS

Code: ags

// some script

#ifndef NOPLUGINS
  SnowRain.Go(); // or whatever the plugin function is called
#endif

So if NOPLUGINS is not defined (i.e. commented out in the script header), the code between the ifndef and endif lines is simply skipped at compile time.
This way, you only have to uncomment one line in the main script header to enable a plugin-free compile.

Sektor 13

Quote from: Igor on Sun 08/07/2007 16:26:00
Sektor 13- amazing!
I'm not really that far into the game (solved a couple of puzzles) but so far i'm blown away! Great atmosphere, beautiful graphics and interesting story.
To be honest, it's the first adventure (be it amateur or commercial) in a long time, that really got my interest.. and i can't stop playing it.
Bravo :)

Hvala ti .

Upam da vidmo tut tvojga Ignaca prosim :)

SuperDre

Just started it (v1.01 (at least that's what the readme.rtf says), even though ingame it says v1.0).. But one problem I already have with the intro was that the text flew by too fast before I've read it, and I'm not that much of a slow reader ;)  So maybe you could slow down the text a bit..
any idea on when you would release v1.03?

Sektor 13

I am waiting some feedback from someone to fix some things, v1.03 will be ready as soon as i get it, and fix certain problems, i hope very soon.

Stupot

Actually, Dre reminded me I was going to mention the same thing about the intro text being a tad too fast.  Maybe just add an extra 5-6 seconds per page of text.

Sektor 13

Oky

I've added 4 seconds to every "screen" in intro and 1 second to every "screen" in "story explanation" part in space ship, which was long enough i think...

I think it should be readable now :D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You've created a strong second release here, Sektor13, and you have every reason to be proud of it.  The opening logo and title screen reminded me of games like Albion which is probably the highest compliment I could give to a free game author.  That said, I had a few issues with puzzle-kludginess, such as:

Spoiler
the whole freeing the frozen rod bit.  Why not use the pickaxe head to do it?  Also, the rounded pickaxe end could just as easily pried the metal panel up enough or used the gum to get the object, and there are several places where the inventory was filled with items that could have achieved a similar logical result but had too specific a purpose.  This, ultimately, is the problem with games that have huge inventories: multiple solutions logically possible but not scripted.  It also becomes a problem when you start making puzzles just to extend gameplay, it feels tacked-on rather than a part of the narrative.
[close]

Don't feel discouraged though, most indie authors have difficulty making really intuitive puzzles and companies like Lucasarts performed extensive testing to make a puzzle 'work' (and even then they failed at times imo).  I think if you wanted to go back and make the core puzzles solvable in different ways you would reap the benefits later, but this is only a suggestion.

At any rate, congratulations on your release.

Sektor 13

Quote from: ProgZmax on Mon 09/07/2007 20:39:09
You've created a strong second release here, Sektor13, and you have every reason to be proud of it.  The opening logo and title screen reminded me of games like Albion which is probably the highest compliment I could give to a free game author.  That said, I had a few issues with puzzle-kludginess, such as:

Spoiler
the whole freeing the frozen rod bit.  Why not use the pickaxe head to do it?  Also, the rounded pickaxe end could just as easily pried the metal panel up enough or used the gum to get the object, and there are several places where the inventory was filled with items that could have achieved a similar logical result but had too specific a purpose.  This, ultimately, is the problem with games that have huge inventories: multiple solutions logically possible but not scripted.  It also becomes a problem when you start making puzzles just to extend gameplay, it feels tacked-on rather than a part of the narrative.
[close]

Don't feel discouraged though, most indie authors have difficulty making really intuitive puzzles and companies like Lucasarts performed extensive testing to make a puzzle 'work' (and even then they failed at times imo).  I think if you wanted to go back and make the core puzzles solvable in different ways you would reap the benefits later, but this is only a suggestion.

At any rate, congratulations on your release.

You're right about the puzzles... I must admit i never thought of using picks head to get frozen rod, but it's very logical. I must think about it -> for possible updates

Monsieur OUXX

Sorry to contribute in such a lame manner, but for a foreigner like me, "infinity string" sounds like "unlimited panties".  ;)

Ali

I'm enjoying the game but I think I've found a pretty serious bug:

Spoiler
In the room with the barred door and the piece of metal lying on the floor: I used the orange device to pick up the metal. Now it's as if the game thinks I'm on the other side of the door. I can't exit back the way I came and the cursor changes into an arrow over the door I can't get to.

I tried to save a game to show you the problem, but now that doesn't seem to work. When I click save the cursor changes into an hourglass for a long time, but changes back when I click anywhere on the screen without saving.
[close]

I look forward to continuing the game, so I hope you're able to address this problem.

Khris

That's a bug I completely forgot to mention: the savegames are limited but there's no indication of that. Delete any savegame and you can save again.

Sektor 13

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 10/07/2007 08:55:25
Sorry to contribute in such a lame manner, but for a foreigner like me, "infinity string" sounds like "unlimited panties".  ;)

Are you french ? :) Those are one killer panties, i tell you :D

Ali:
I'll look to it right now.

EDIT:
I don't know where is the problem, it should work !? Tell me everything you did in that room ?

SuperDre

Just finished both endings.. Another great game.. Only this time I needed some help, let's just say magnetic things can help a lot, and with the good ending I had some problems with finding something to put in a hole...

The graphix/animations are really excellent, the music is great (I just hope you won't get into trouble by using copyrighted music, even though it's a free game)

I was using v1.01 and didn't find any real bugs, apart from some incorrectly used english..

And I'm looking forward to seeing another adventure by Sektor 13... ;)

Stupot

I think I've found a bug.
Either that or I'm being completely stupid.
I got stuck and was forced to read the walkthrough:

Spoiler
It said that I should use the Pulse reader on a metal thing when I exit the ship.  But I don't have the pulse reader.  The only thing that remined in my inventory was the Extension cord.. I think it was supposed to be the Pulse reader, but something weird happened.
[close]

[EDIT]
Shit, what a loser... forget that.  There is no bug.  I just decided top press UP in my inventory and realised that everything was there, Pulse reader and all.

I was going to delete this post but then I thought I'd leave it up for you all to have a good laugh at me.. hahaa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk