Infinity String - v 1.04

Started by Sektor 13, Mon 02/07/2007 21:18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Sektor 13 on Tue 10/07/2007 14:53:31
Ali:
I'll look to it right now.

EDIT:
I don't know where is the problem, it should work !? Tell me everything you did in that room ?

Now I know about the save game limit, I'll try to work out what's wrong or upload a save game.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I can't recreate the bug. Because of the savegame bug, I wasn't able to save the game with the problem. It did happen though, I have witnesses! If it helps, here are the things I remember doing before the problem occured:

Spoiler
Getting the wire, talking to the dying soldier, getting the battery, getting the key and metal piece via the drain, unlocking the round door, opening the valve near the swamp, powering up the laptop.

I hadn't done much in the room itself, I'd looked at everything and tried a few objects on the hole in the wall.
[close]

That's all from memory and, as I said, when I retraced my steps the bug didn't reappear. I hope this doesn't leave you baffled!

Sektor 13

Hm very strange - > I have changed that code a bit, so i hope this won't happen again, but i still don't know why happened !?

Jon

Just completed the game, it was brilliant! Good work Sector.

CodeJunkie

Great game so far, I am really enjoying it.  A few things I noticed:

The bug Ali came across happens when you:

Spoiler
Read the PR manual
[close]

I was stuck for a while until eventually like Stupot I clicked 'up' in the inventory and there were all my items, I thought it was a bug at first that they appeared.  It would be better if the inventory wasn't on a blank page after the cutscene.

The scrolling jungle room tends to occassionaly move the player to the left of the river.  It does this sometimes when you look at the river, or if you're walking along, I can't pinpoint exactly when.

I will save the comments until I finish, just thought I'd post about bugs as soon as I find them.

Stupot

Quote from: SimB on Thu 12/07/2007 11:14:20

The scrolling jungle room tends to occassionaly move the player to the left of the river.  It does this sometimes when you look at the river, or if you're walking along, I can't pinpoint exactly when.

I've noticed this, too.
I've also found that on this room clicking things is harder and I often have to hold the button down for a few seconds for it to register that I've clicked.  It only seems to be on the scrolling screen.  It's a minor annoyance but it's as likely to be my computer's uselessness as any fault with the code.

Sektor 13

I wrote the jungle "teleport" bug in the first page, but we found out the problem, so it will be fixed in 1.03 which will be ready today.

EDIT:

Ok, version 1.03 is up now.

Some of the fixes i remember:

-Now there is a response when you reach maximum savegame limit
-Vine bug fixed
-Stuck in cave with bars fixed- I hope :)
-Some minor gramatical errors
-Added a lot of responses (like use inventory on other inventory)
-Added about 4 seconds to a page in intro story
-And some other stuff i can't remember right now...

MYKAYEL

Aren't you the guys who made Stargate SG-1? (the adventure game I mean :P)
Anyway, what convinced me to download this game was the image you posted of the "CD" and the intro cinematic. I wasn't expecting much (even do I am a big fan of the Stargate game). I'll have to admit, I was surprised. The game is awesome, dig the atmosphere and the graphics, alto your english could use some patches here and there, but the main thing is you understand what the characters are saying. The story isn't all that original, but in these times, its almost impossible to make a 100% original story. Overall, I give your game a 8.7 out of 10, and I didn't take into consideration the fact that the game is free, you might be surprised, but I find your game a hundred times more enjoyable than Half-Life 2 (witch bored me to tears so I quit playing it after about 20 minutes). I will keep playing Infinity String until I finish it  ;D
Hope you come up with more cool games like this one.

And as a last note, are any of you Trilby fans? Cause I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the game reminds me a little bit of the Trilby Series. People disappearing, walking around doing stuff and when you least expect it, something kills a friend of yours, etc.
Anyway, keep up the good work guys!

Sektor 13

Hey

Well first of all, we aren't many, I am alone :) and yes, i made SG too :).
Thanks for the compliments. I played all "x days a x"  Yantzees games, but they are not the reason for the gore in my game :).

Brad Newsom

Quote from: MYKAYEL on Thu 12/07/2007 19:44:00

And as a last note, are any of you Trilby fans? Cause I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the game reminds me a little bit of the Trilby Series. People disappearing, walking around doing stuff and when you least expect it, something kills a friend of yours, etc.
Anyway, keep up the good work guys!

Play Gabriel knight, or basically every other adventure game set to a serious tone.

BTW, great game Sektor! I think I might just write a review of it in my blog.

Becca

The graphics were brilliant, very stunning and just gorgeous! My favorite scene was the first screen you see, when you have the options to load or start a new game. However I found the storyline quite confusing. I just completed the game and I honestly still don't understand what the clones were, and why they needed to take over the earth, or what that accomplished. A lot of the speeches were confusing; I didn't understand many of them, and that really hindered me getting absorbed into the story. Especially the cut scenes. I didn't really understand any of them, or what they were talking about. I was kind of disappointed that a lot of items, when I tried to click on them, the main character said "I don't want to touch that." It really frustrated me.
I think it was just the translation that was hard to understand, though. Or maybe it's just me.

Stupot

Just finally completed it with one ending.  I'm going to have a bit of a rest before playing the other ending. I just wanted to say this is one of the best AGS games I've ever played.  It's better than some commercial games.  People are right when they say the dialogue is a little lacking, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game at all.

Good choice of music. although an original score would have been nice.
The backgrounds are stunning, the puzzles are just the right level (I had to sneak a peak at the walkthrough a couple of times which is a sign that it's not too easy but not too hard otherwise I'dve been following the walkthrough all the way.

I might leave another comment when I've played the second ending, but I think I've said everything that needs saying.

And Sektor13, brother, don't quit making games.  I think theres even a bit more story left in the Infinity String saga, maybe you could make a sequel, or at least a v1.5.

Ali

I certainly hope you make more games, the backgrounds for this game were terrific, technically and in terms of atmosphere. I must agree with Becca though, that I found that the character's emotionless responses to situations and characters frustrated the fun of solving puzzles and obscured the narrative.

I didn't understand a good portion of the story, though I suspect the translation was a factor in that. I have a niggling feeling that with a careful English re-write this could have been one of my favourite AGS adventures. I'd love to see further games of this visual quality, ideally with a stronger English script.

jkohen

I could repeat what most people already said. I think this game is a classic in spite of its flaws.

However, I just wanted to say that I played this game on Linux using Wine 0.9.40. It worked flawlessly. It's the first AGS I came play to conclussion with Wine while being able to load and save games.

However, Wine still doesn't work very well for AGS games that use the standard AGS load/save dialog. For some reason it won't respond to keyboard input.

Stupot

Quote from: blashyrkh on Sat 14/07/2007 16:50:30
I could repeat what most people already said. I think this game is a classic in spite of its flaws.

However, I just wanted to say that I played this game on Linux using Wine 0.9.40. It worked flawlessly. It's the first AGS I came play to conclussion with Wine while being able to load and save games.

However, Wine still doesn't work very well for AGS games that use the standard AGS load/save dialog. For some reason it won't respond to keyboard input.

TRY THIS PATCH

cosmicr

hi I think I have found a bug. At the start of the game, I cant get back to the room with the generator. I get stuck at the room outside the entrance to the ship (the scrolling up and down screen). If I go down on the screen, the character walks that far, but the arrow wont go solid to indicate I can go to the next screen. Is this a bug or is it something I dont know about?

edit: nevermind, I found it. the area in which the arrow goes solid is really small thats all.

BOYD1981

you did a pretty good job with this game, the backgrounds are all really nice and i like the GUI art a lot, and the music really suits it (good to see another fan of Prey btw  ;)).
you should really turn the main menu screen into a screensaver though, or compile an exe that's just that room without the text as it really is very nice to look at  :).

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Johny Kat

This game does indeed sound terrific. à really have an urge to play it, since it seems to be the kind of adventure I really love, and since I've just picked up Stargate adventure and I'm enjoying it very much.

However, for me the plot and scripting are the most important part of a game, and it seems, by reading other posts, that in this game that is somehow weakened by the translation.

My question to Sektor is this then, do you plan to add an improved translation, like what you did with Stargate? And if so, when do you think it might become available?

I really want to play this game, but if I think an improved version, that I can enjoy to the fullest, is nearby, then I'l wait for it.

Thanks

radiowaves

I am playing the game right now and I must say its fantastic! Did you draw all those backgrounds by yourself?
Although I think the music is stolen (sounds too proffessional and good), game really needs it.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Nostradamus

Sektor 13, congratulations for a very good game.
I like the Dig style graphics, good animations & cutscenes. I like the GUI and how it's changing according to location like in an old lesser known classic - Rex Nebular, the music went greatly with the story to put you in the right atmosphere.
The story developed in the right pace but as you can see from others who didn't find it easy to understand, I think there was too much information being given in text form to develop the story each time a text cutscene happened. You should have given less info in text and more in animation or at least pictures. Anything that would make a long deep story easier to understand that just being thrown at you with text. I for one enjoy books  and can read a lot and fast and understand complicated text but this is a game, not a book and so the story should have been more visualized. It was just an incorrect balance - the bulk of the story was given in text form and the visualized and interactive parts of the story were very small and not significant enough in comparison to the important bulk of the story, the part that was represented by text. That's something you must work on if you make another game, visualizing more than giving just texts. It's good to set up the background with text in the intro, but it's not good to tell 90% of the game's story in text.
Still though, this game looks and plays very much like a professional game and you deserve a lot of credit for that.

However there are two flaws which sadly has become common recently in released games that really lower the value of an otherwise high quality almost professional games - language and scripting mistakes. People just skip beta testing being too eager to release their game and that takes away dramatically form its quality, and especially since the game looks so high quality and professional otherwise, this in contrast makes it look very unprofessional and that could have been avoided if you gave time to beta testing.
Here's what I 'm talking about:
1) The language mistakes were very bad and very basic language mistakes, from embarrassing mistakes like writing "worm" instead of "warm" and "loose" instead of "lose" and even more importantly the really annoying and also embarrassing non-use of "a", "an" and "the" before words, which make sentences sound like a 4 year old is saying them. In the credits it said that someone else did the English translation for you - next time you should use someone better and anyway no matter who translates the game for you - you must have someone who is a native English speaker to read proof everything and correct if necessary. And that still should be done on this game because these language flaws are to important to let be.

2) Scripting mistakes:
Spoiler

A) after taking the diploma from the wall if you return to the room the diploma is STILL on the wall.
    B) puke near corpse is yellow when first entering room, turns grey when returning to room
    C)  when looking at fat man the description says "only a skeleton remains" - BEFORE he dissolves into a skeleton!!
    D) in the cutscene where the inner voice explains the real story, there's text missing
[close]
And these are mistakes I found just by regularly playing it, real beta testing would probably find more. And these bad scripting flaws are too big to be in such an otherwise high quality game, especially C and D.

One last thing, a smaller scale problem but still a problem - there are too many hotspots in game that have boring generic descriptions that you can't even use for anything. If you make so many unusable hotspots you should give them interesting descriptions to make the time spent on clicking and exploring them worthwhile.

In conclusion again, I liked most aspects of this game and I do think it's pretty high quality and you certainly deserve kudos for the effort and the quality, as you are a very good game maker, but the language and scripting flaws I mentioned are too big to disregard and just shouldn't happen, especially in such a high quality games.
You said in this thread that you became lazy when producing the game in the later parts. I think I can speak for all and say we would have happily waited even a month or two more, or whatever long it would take,  in order for you to take your time and have the game properly read proofed and beta tested. Hope you take these into mind, correct them and avoid them in your next game and again I think I can speak for all and say we want another game from you. (though I understand it's very complicated and time consuming, so no pressure)

radiowaves

Ok, I finished the game now.
I think the vomit turning gray isn't a scripting error, I think it is meant to freeze in the cold.
But I did see some flaws indeed, the biggest of them all was dissapearing body at the (longer) end after I had shot the guy. And the text parts were indeed a bit boring and there were no time to read everything, especially if you wanted to have a little glimpse on a beautiful background too :D
So basically the main problem with this is that it lacks any rewards after puzzles, its just simply "do this and do that"...
But my big props to you for the background art and an excellent choice of music :P Definately my taste.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk