System-Up

Started by Dualnames, Mon 09/07/2007 21:39:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Ok, this is an idea I had while I was taking a lesson at my university. We were talking about ways to count things and the teacher told us that the decimal system is used worldwide but there is another numberical system ,the ones that computers use. The one with ones and zeros. Also known as binary.

This is not a game. It's a program. So I'm straightening this out. The purpose of the program is to instantly give you a number of the decimal system to it's form at the binary system. I don't know if this program will end up being useful but you'll judge that.

It's sort of half finished but I thought, i should post this since i've done all i could with it. Please don't judge me by saying there's winodws calculator you know.

I just wanted to try something different.

Download Link:
http://files.filefront.com/System+Uprar/;8006231;/fileinfo.html

Screenshots:

*=Note about the screenshots: The actual program screenshots are less messy and so just take an idea with those images.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Brad Newsom

This is just TOO FUN! j/k. I wish I had this last term, would've been a real help. Interesting program by the way, I don't think there is one online that is as easy as this one.

Snarky

"Two-tier"? I think you must have heard that wrong... The most common name for the number system with only ones and zeros is "binary". And, uh, not to discourage you, but the Windows calculator already converts between various bases (decimal, binary, hexadecimal, octal).

cosmicr

umm what university are you going to? My primary school taught us binary (base 2) in grade 5. By high school we were doing binary arithmetic. And like said above, windows calculator can convert to binary and hexadecimal.

Khris

I'm really stuck here. I wanted to convert 129 to binary, and I somehow have the distinct feeling that my computer should be able to do this. Ok, it's a really high number and all, so if the program can't do it, I guess I have to live with that.

But having to use the clear button really seems pretty unnecessary.
1. The clear code called by the button could be executed before the newly calculated binary number is drawn, couldn't it?
2. Using sprites without transparency would do the trick, too.
3. Or raw draw black rectangles.

Dualnames

Cosmir...eh.. please be kinder. As i describe in my readme this project was stopped in the beginning since i realised that windows calculator is way better and it's on windows and not dos/full screen so you can copy the result and use it wherever you want. And I also realised that AGS has the potential but shouldn't be chosen to make this kind of programs.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

cosmicr

yeah sorry dualnames. After re-reading it it did sound a bit harsh. I guess I was just a bit shocked to see that you were never taught different number systems at school. making this program is probably a great way to learn though!

Dualnames

I don't think so. Just the idea was good about it. I couldn't make all the ideas and hopes come true. So that is were I failed. I just hope that someone be seeing this effort of mine, will say ok I could make a program like this but way better. I know that you didn't wanted to sound so harsh, I just noticed it, no hard feelings.

Stupot

Quote from: cosmicr on Tue 10/07/2007 00:16:20
umm what university are you going to? My primary school taught us binary (base 2) in grade 5. By high school we were doing binary arithmetic. And like said above, windows calculator can convert to binary and hexadecimal.

You learnt binary in Primary school?
I never learnt binary in all my years of education.  I did however play around with a BASIC binary converter on my Amstrad when I was about 10.

Dualnames

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 12/07/2007 12:10:38
Quote from: cosmicr on Tue 10/07/2007 00:16:20

You learnt binary in Primary school?
I never learnt binary in all my years of education.  I did however play around with a BASIC binary converter on my Amstrad when I was about 10.

I know quantum system from kindergarden.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk