RoN sprites - revamped character

Started by Renegade Implementor, Wed 11/07/2007 03:55:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Implementor

After a few iterations and the assistance of Krysis and others on the RoN forum, I'm taking Krysis' suggestion and displaying the sprites here as there are a few things about them that I feel need work.

There are a few things about the top row side view(s) that strike me as needing improvement.  One: I'm not too sure about the shape/look of the face but I'm unsure if it could be improved given the size limits.  Two: the shape of the arm bugs me, I'm wondering if it's not the right shape/location, needs some sort of shoulder definition, or if the shape of the jacket itself might be causing problems.

With regards to the robed figures, my question relates to the sigils (gold lines).  Would (or should) the sigils be visible in the side view and if so, how far would they go (two-three pixels)?

Thanks in advance.

pslim

I love those entities at the bottom.  ;D

I made a small paintover because I'm too lazy to write out how I would answer the questions you posed. I tried to keep to the same style and just make small edits. I used the eyes to decide where the runes go on the bottom characters and altered their shoulders in the side views slightly to match the front views.

I think the face shape of the main character is fine for the style; the problem, imo, is the shape of the hair. I also think his arm was a bit narrow given the bulk of the jacket. I moved his head back a pixel so he didn't look like he was drooping forward (but if that was the desire look, then the head was good where it was), and messed with the lay of the jacket a
bit to see if I could get a closer match to the frontal view. Finally, I changed the shape of the hand so that we see less of the thumb and no space between the thumb and forefinger.

Also, I changed the background color to make the figures stand out a bit more. I hope you find this helpful in some way.  :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I did an edit on a few things to give you some ideas.

1.  Reduced width of the guy's front side by 1 pixel.

2.  Lengthened his neck by 1 pixel in both the front and left sides.

3.  Added one additional shade to each object to match the style of the jacket on both front and left sides.

4.  Adjusted arm and leg pose to look more natural on both front and left sides.

5.  Altered face to look a bit more heroic and removed whites.

6.  Adjusted colors of two of the robed people and altered shape slightly.

I didn't want to change the colors too much so I just added a couple shades.  The major issues I noticed was his upper torso being massive compared to his head/legs and the flat, emotionless pose.  Hopefully this will help.

Renegade Implementor

Based on pslim's visuals, I've incorporated his suggestions in the side profile and made an attempt to illustrate the hair part in the right side view.  If anyone has thoughts on the back view, in particular the feet as they look slightly flat, would be helpful.

I've also added the sigils to the side views of the male robed characters (green, red, purple) and the full robed sprites to illustrate how they look.

This, of course, was done before I'd seen what ProgZmax had produced.  I shall now go off with his notes and try to incorporate as much as I can.

Edit:

Quote1.  Reduced width of the guy's front side by 1 pixel.

ProgZmax: Sorry, but where exactly.  I'm trying to see what you've done by comparing measurements with the marquee tool in Photoshop and it isn't working as I'd hoped.  Also, when you say pixel, do you mean reduced an entire line or just the head and torso and the width of the straight part of the legs of the original sprite and your version seem to be the same width.  Thanks.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I basically cut him in half (vertically) and moved the right side of the sprite one pixel closer to the left and then adjusted stance and such to make it look right.

Renegade Implementor

After a bit of studying my own posture and the way the arms and legs naturally position themselves and experimenting with the sprites, I've reached this point:

x2

Due to technical issues, I've had to retain the previous colour scheme, although I've gone back to the original "otherworldly blue" for the eyes).  While it would have been nice to use ProgZmax's idea of additional shades, it just isn't feasible at this time.

I've kept the height the same as raising the neck made things look "giraffe"-like.  I don't think I've got the right shape for the shoes in the up view.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk