Expressing Atheism

Started by evenwolf, Tue 31/07/2007 09:33:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Yeh, I mean it's all well and good poking your nipples for comfort, but if nipples didn't exist then the people who do it would be considered slightly eccentric, to say the least.

[edit]
You've got to laugh really haven't you..

nick.keane

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 09/08/2007 08:16:37
Yeh, I mean it's all well and good poking your nipples for comfort, but if nipples didn't exist then the people who do it would be considered slightly eccentric, to say the least.

[edit]
You've got to laugh really haven't you..

Well, for the first part, people without nipples who play with their nipples are some of the most intelligent people I've ever met! Now, Ive never seen these smart people play with their nipples in their spare time, but I really bet they do! Seriously though, the whole over-the-top nipple thing is just a metaphor, an example of sorts, for what people do to find comfort in life. Brushing your teeth might give you comfort. Watching TV might calm you down. It doesn't matter - the concept is that people need beliefs independent of the verity of said beliefs.

I'm at a loss as to what you mean by the edit, though
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

lo_res_man

Quote from: nick.keane on Thu 09/08/2007 07:55:30
Still, in any case, there is no god. Sorry christians  :(.
Your probably right, but like you said, it pokes my nipples, its part of the personal collection of beliefs that me get through the day, my little collection of illusions that make the world, a little less scary place. I am  mildly clinically depressed, and I think a few illusions are better then drugs. We all have illusions that make up who we are. Its just as important a part of being human, as  reason, which is so lauded.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

evenwolf

Quote from: lo_res_man on Thu 09/08/2007 09:33:32
my little collection of illusions that make the world a little less scary place.

The fact that you view these beliefs as an illusion is a sign to me that you will one day come to question them seriously.    Hopefully when that day comes you'll feel OK not knowing. 

"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Stupot

Quote from: nick.keane on Thu 09/08/2007 08:54:35
I'm at a loss as to what you mean by the edit, though

It was a funny metaphor.

I won't deny the fact that some people gain comfort and reassurance in their love for God, but why is it necesary to believe he actually exists.

I get my kicks from watching Lost.  It makes me feel better, I think about it when I'm bored.  And you know what?  I think it's even taught me a few lessons.   But I don't actually believe theres a mysterious Island out there, or a Dharma Initiative, or a Jacob.  Just as gaining strength from worshiping a God doesn't have to mean believing that he literally exists.

MrColossal

Alright, this thread has gone too far... Blaspheming against Jacob... I just can't take that... HE LOVED US LIKE JESUS DID!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

nick.keane

I wish there was a hamburger called the Jacob. I'd eat it! (Munch, munch, mmmm... religious blasphemy. graaaaaaawl)

QuoteYou've got to laugh really haven't you

I seriously have no clue what that means... Is the punctuation right? "You've got to laugh, really, haven't you?" or "You've got to laugh at this, really." Maybe I'm just focusing to hard, I should sleep more - I feel nappy and it's only 4:30 PM here on the east coast!
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

space boy

Quote from: nick.keane on Thu 09/08/2007 21:35:43
I wish there was a hamburger called the Jacob. I'd eat it! (Munch, munch, mmmm... religious blasphemy. graaaaaaawl)

Speaking of blasphemious food (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_(ice_cream)):
2003 saw the launch of (...) the limited edition "7 Deadly Sins" series of ice creams, whose flavors were named after the seven deadly sins.

I wonder how well a "10 commandments" edition would sell. Mmmmm..... "thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour"-flavour....

lo_res_man

ROTFL ;D

Quote from: evenwolf on Thu 09/08/2007 10:49:36
Quote from: lo_res_man on Thu 09/08/2007 09:33:32
my little collection of illusions that make the world a little less scary place.
The fact that you view these beliefs as an illusion is a sign to me that you will one day come to question them seriously.    Hopefully when that day comes you'll feel OK not knowing. 
I don't know anything,
I never did know anything,
But now I know that I don't know,
All on a Chrismas morning.
Scrooge
I do question it seriously, believe me on this, I am admitting I am most likely wrong, I am just hoping that God exists.
The Restroom Wall

nick.keane

Wait, I thought 'false witness' was a type of fruit smoothie...
I guess "Mary's" Old Fashioned Holy Burgers is under new management
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

lo_res_man

Do you think 'murder' will be chocolate or coffee flavoured? ;D
The Restroom Wall

space boy

George Carlin is an atheist and he's expressing it....

George Carlin on religion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vb_vVJqqd8

George Carlin eats the 10 commandments(but he won't tell what flavour they are :( )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CitfTtMIx8

Also watch the rest of his vids on youtube. I especially like this one... George Carlin talks about stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

lo_res_man

I find George Carlin funny most of the time. What I DON"T understand is why they asked him to narrate shinytime station, aka Thomas the tank engine. I grew up with that show, so when I first heard him do stand up, it was so twisted, hearing this voice I grew up with (it was a cd) saying such twisted funny shit. WTF?
The Restroom Wall

Stupot

Same thing with Ringo Starr... I didn't know he was a Beatle unitl I was about 10 or 11... before that he was just the scouse bloke from Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends.

nick.keane

Quote from: lo_res_man on Thu 09/08/2007 23:24:27
Do you think 'murder' will be chocolate or coffee flavoured? ;D

BLOOOD flavored!!!
lol, nah I'm kidding! Murder tastes like coffee.
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

nick.keane

|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

evenwolf

George Carlin routine is pretty funny.

I'm sure you've seen Ricky Gervais' standup regarding the book of genesis?    http://youtube.com/watch?v=NaEj3g5GOYA
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

space boy

Thanks evenwolf! That guy is awesome!

Gods big test
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UwnONuP2Arc

The rational response squad takes on christians on ABC(pay attention to what's happening from 6:02 to about 6:30)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-rKiGJrcNw

Soldier in Gods army!
http://youtube.com/user/SoldierInGodsArmy

Snake

Names have changed to seal their identity ::)

Quote...
Scott: "But, you know, the idea of an 'omnicient being' who's in total control of
everyone's fate?"
Garrett: "Scott, it isn't a proven fact scientifically, no, but, if you've ever read the Bible..."
Scott: "The Bible. You know what I think?"
Garrett: "I knew where this was leading. No more, Scott, we already know what you think, anyway."
Scott: "I call it the 'Santa Clause Theory'. Parents only tell their kids there's a Santa so that they'll behave
themselves all year. Same thing."
Garrett: "What?!"
Scott: "Come on! It's just a false sence of security. It's all bullshit."
Mitch looks at Scott, then at Garrett and sees his attitude change...
Garrett: "The accusations you're making, Scott, are bullshit. Who are you to judge what people
believe in? If you don't believe in God, fine. You don't need to ridicule everyone else for doing
the opposite."
Scott: "Ha! The only reason why YOU believe in God is because your parents made you go to church with
them when you were a kid."
Garrett: "Well, Scott, that's what you do when you're brought up in a religious family. You GO TO CHURCH.
Mitch: "Scott, come on. You don't hear us knock you because you're an athiest.
Why are we doing this? AGAIN?"
Scott: "I wouldn't say a total athiest, but..."
Mitch sighs
Mitch: "Oh my GOD..."
Garrett: "You just need to stop! Open your mind and respect other people's beliefs. No matter HOW
stupid you think they are. You're being nothing but ignorant."
Scott: "Ignorant!? Alright then, can you explain to me why it's okay for GOD to decide who lives and who dies?"
Garrett: "Well, Scott, for one, he IS GOD. And secondly, there's always a reason for what he does."
Scott: "So what you're saying is, we've got to just sit back and let GOD decide when we've lived enough of our life?"
Garrett gives up...
Scott: "How can you be the creator of the human race, make them intellegent enough to learn
how to communicate, experience love and advance into civilization, but yet kill them off whenever
it fits YOUR fuckin' schedule? If there's any Satan, it's God himself."

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk