MAGS August: Desert Island

Started by Klaus, Tue 31/07/2007 23:07:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Akatosh

Don't forget "Stranded Quest", "StrandedQuest", "Stranded Quest!", "StrandedQuest!", "Stranded_Quest" and "Stranded_Quest!".

theatrx

Here's a Screenshot for the game...and here is the link...
http://theatrx.8m.com/STRANDED.zip
Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

Akatosh

I'll make a short entry. It'll probably be rather average and the work of one to two weeks... but the characters are cool. As is the background. I already like them  :=

(Don't worry, it'll finish on time and El Presidente is under development, too. I just have too much time.)

Radiant

Akatosh

You are the third person who asks me that... but no, sorry.  ;)

Play_Pretend

Actually, the three-way title thing gave me an entirely new plot-slant idea for my game...two weekends?  Hmmm...I might be able to finish by then, sleep be dam-ned!  Corners, prepare to be cut!

Brad Newsom

Damn, I have to back out of the competition. I was held at gun point and lost my laptop and ipod. Next competition maybe.  :-\

LUniqueDan

QuoteI'll make a short entry.

That's a Job for El Gilligan?
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Play_Pretend

Hey, uh, theatrx...I swear this isn't a joke, prank or an attempt to undercut the competition...I downloaded your game, played it for a bit, and exited out in normal fashion.  And when I returned to my desktop, almost every one of the folders and shortcuts on my desktop, start menu and throughout the rest of my computer were at first entirely blank where their icons should've been, and all my graphic files had a weird image of an outheld hand instead of the Paintshop Pro icon on them.  After rebooting a few times the folders are now showing that no-image-available icon (the white folded over page with the little desktop window inside it) instead of folder icons, and my graphic files are back to normal.  I can still access everything, it's just the icons that all seem to have been broken.  Did you do something different, fancy or dangerous with the scripting for your game, or perhaps your home computer's virus protection let something into the file?  I've run all my adware and virus programs with no result, so it's probably not that, but this is my 8-month old $1000 Dell XPS 410 here, so you can understand my nervousness.  Any idea what happened?

Akatosh

As far as I know, that sometimes happens after you exit an application that makes use of DirectX - at one point, I had all my folder icons replaced by the "Nuclear Waste" icon that Defcon uses - but usually, everything reverts to normal after a short time. I guess you already tried rebooting?

Indie Boy

I just thought of a great idea for a game, but it means I would only have 7 days to make it so I think Il pass on this one. I need to make a game one day...

Oh my idea its open to anyone who wants to make it, a game based on Charlie Chalk and a seagull who stole his hat.  ;D

ps good luck with everyone's games
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

OneDollar

Strange Visitor: Yeah, I've had that happen quite a few times before - its just another Windows glitch. If you leave it long enough or refresh the screen somehow it should all go back to normal though. Its nothing to worry about anyway and nothing to do with how theatrx built his game.

I have a sudden craving to look up Charlie Chalk on Youtube...

Akatosh

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Sun 19/08/2007 00:46:36
QuoteI'll make a short entry.

That's a Job for El Gilligan?

Apart from the fact I don't even know who that is, no.  ;)

LUniqueDan

Ahh Akatosh... you have no idea how you make me believe on the faith of humanity right now, on evolution, 'on the youth on whose spirit the search for thruth marches on'... :=

Here what you (don't) miss :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb3ClZ1OceI&mode=related&search=
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

theatrx

No I didn't do anything weird with the scripting.  My adaware and virus scan are up to date.  I can't imagine what happened. I've had that happen before also but when I rebooted everything went back to normal.  Really sorry it happened.

Play_Pretend

No apology necessary, man, I know it's not something you would do deliberately (unless you've got a secret life as an 00ber-h4ck3r :) )...I've been reading all over the net and the only thing I've found so far is that it might be a win32 virus infection or something.  I've been running all kinds of scans, regedit fixes and trying to recreate the circumstances that caused it (I pretty much played the game, and CTRL-ESC'd twice to get back to the desktop and adjust the volume), but no luck so far.  I've rebooted about a dozen times since then, tried System Restore and even unplugged the computer and held the power button down for ten seconds (which resets something or other), all to no avail.  Gaaah...I might have to face the Curse of Dell Customer Service again.

theatrx

Your desktop icons are gone?  Or are they changed?  Checked this out myself and apparently this is an inherant problem with Windows itself... I don't know what to tell you.  It did say something about auto arrange desktop icons and sometimes this repairs the problem.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Visitor, no worries. AFAIK, pretty much everyone has had this problem at least once. I myself have had it several times. The only problem is purely visual, and it tends to sort itself out eventually. Consider it unusual it had never happened to you yet, really. Don't worry about reproducing it, just ignore it when it happens.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Nikolas

Visitor: I had someting like this happen to me, and it was a virus after all! I could fight it, (there is a way) but in the end I just formated everything! Sorry to hear about your troubles, though. :(

Theatrix: you have been most creative over the past year or so, no? ;) Well done mate!

CodeJunkie

I get the problem too from playing Half-Life, perhaps some DirectX issue?  Anyway you can fix the problem by resetting the icon cache (WinXP):

1) Right click on desktop and select Properties
2) Click Appearance tab
3) Click Advanced
4) Select Icon in the item list
5) Increase the Size to 33 and confirm changes
6) Now do the same and change the size back to 32

Only problem is you'll lose the arrangement of your icons.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk