New digital painting

Started by vict0r, Tue 07/08/2007 18:37:21

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

Hey!
I've taken a small break from my "moonlight painting" and made a new digital painting, this time in "desktop size" so I can use it as a desktop background. But I think it looks empty without knowing what to put there!

Resized for great justice!

Hudders

It is a tad empty.

You could put any number of things there from more trees to a mound of dead bodies. Really, the possibilities are endless. Perhaps you could have another one of those aircraft in the foreground, landed, (so that you can show the detail of it), with its pilot waving at his friends in the distance.

Personally though, I'd be tempted to put a caveman in the foreground, reacting to the aircraft speeding towards him.

Oliwerko

Well done.

I like the emptiness here. Don't know why, but here I like it.
If it's for a game it's....well....unusable, but like a background ? Perfect. That's my opinion. Perfection of emptiness. ( Really, no joke )

Afflict

For some reason I thought of Ben Jordan :P

lo_res_man

they look like the space shuttle to me.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Domino

How about adding a runway, so they can land.  ;)

I do like the picture though.

Neil Dnuma

You are certainly going in the right direction.

Still; blurry, empty. Try keeping the structure of the material in mind while shading. This esp. goes for the tree. It is shaded a bit as if it was some sort of screw, not a tree. A bit rushed, with the fast down/left - up/right movements. The Mr. Miyagi way of painting. But he was a karate instructor.

Stupot

Nice soft colours.
Maybe a tad blurry.
And how about some foreground action.  Surprise us with something.

InCreator

- Lacks sharpness and saturation
- The background mountains look a bit unreal
- Not usable as a game background (the frozen spaceships?), but might be nice wallpaper indeed

? The tree needs a bit sharper trunk texture
? The land in front ends weirdly. Fade it out or something, make it lighter as it gets closer to horizon
? Too empty yet. Add bushes and rocks... especially rocks, since background suggests mountainous and therefore rocky terrain
? Grass could be sharper too and blend less into no-grass patches

+ Looks nice overall
+ I like the foggy atmosphere

vict0r

Thanks alot for all the critics and nice words! :)

Sorry for not updating, but the new edit is taking quite the time since I don't have much/any experience with "mechanical" stuff in drawing, and not much experience with this style at all :-\

But here's what I've done so far.

I'm still trying to get the right texture and shape of the spaceship/future helicopter thingy!

And I know that it's unusable in a game. It's mostly for practice and for a desktop background :)

markbilly

I think the focus of the picture would do better if it was at the bottom of the frame. Like the crashed ship suggested (nosedived perhaps?).

However, if you want to keep the foreground object you've drawn in, maybe you could add some more foreground at the bottom, like dust from the landing, some debris...

LGM

no no no

Keep the ships where they are. Don't add another. Instead, add a figure that looks humanoid but could be alien... Give him some travel-like clothing, and maybe a companion at his side. And they both can be looking off at the ships as they arrive. Perhaps have a hand going up over his forehead to shield the light or something..

That would make it epic.

and maybe to split up the image a bit more, make that grassy area off to bottom left a cliff face, to make it seem like the guy is standing on a peninsula on a giant cliff with the tree next to him. That would be awesome.
You. Me. Denny's.

markbilly

Ok I agree with [Igm], it needs something, and that is a very good idea.

Oliwerko

I would remove that spaceship in the front. It craps the style.
Instead of that, I would add a person lying on its knees and praying towards the ships - you know, like hopeless "Oh God, protect me from whatever these might be".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk