Help with The Deformed Couches of Multi-Morphing!

Started by Recluse, Sat 11/08/2007 00:40:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Recluse

I've just finished this background and I'm having some issues with the way the couches look. I believe I managed to capture the general IDEA of a couch... but it's lacking substance...

I think this is mostly a perspective issue. Here's the ENTIRE couch, on it's own layer.

Feel free to do some paint overs. I'm aware the shading is odd, but this is the kind of style I'm attempting to include in my game.
All your verbcoin are belong to us.

Candall

The main problem is that the left side of your front-facing couch suggests a shape that slopes straight down, and that's what makes the right side look wonky and wrong.

Obviously, this paintover is what it would look like if the right side matched the left.  If you want to change the left side, you're going to need to move the frontmost part of the arm toward the right so that the curve where the back merges into it is forced to slope.

Stupot

I think Candall has fixed the perspective issue, but you're going to have to shade the couches if they're going to work in this background.  Personally I think you should ditch the foreground couch that's facing away from us, and maybe just have a coffee table there or something.

R4L

I suggest making the floor a little bigger. Also, seeing as how this is a futuristic location, why not make something out of the ordinary? Instead of the back couch, why not have a floating table? You could even ditch the couch together and have floating chairs near the left corners.

Oliwerko

The first thing that catches my eye is not the couch, but the floor. The pattern is way out of perspective.

Buckethead

Why not make the room a little bigger. Who would place 2 couches in a small room like that?  :)

TheDude

This edit isn't perfect, but the perspective would be more like this:

The problem is you want the back of it to have almost a shell type of shape which I can't be bothered doing :).
The two front "legs" would have to be like \ and / to get a sofa like that, they're straight up and down right now.

Recluse

Quote from: Oliwerko on Sat 11/08/2007 10:35:14
The first thing that catches my eye is not the couch, but the floor. The pattern is way out of perspective.

Yes, I know. I'm not bothered enough to fix this just yet. I've attempted to fix it, yet nothing good has come from it. Later in the game's development I'll probably attempt to fix it. For now, I'll call it part of the game's "style" and let it go from there, who knows, by the final version it might be fixed!

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 11/08/2007 08:28:15
Personally I think you should ditch the foreground couch that's facing away from us, and maybe just have a coffee table there or something.

Good idea! It WOULD free up more space. I was originally trying to make the room look more functional by having two couches facing each other.

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Sat 11/08/2007 11:09:24
Why not make the room a little bigger. Who would place 2 couches in a small room like that?  :)

We're on a space station and space is scarce... this is all that was allotted for recreation, which as you can see, isn't much (or very fun).  I do get the point of not needing two couches. We only really need one.

Quote from: R4L on Sat 11/08/2007 09:58:32
I suggest making the floor a little bigger. Also, seeing as how this is a futuristic location, why not make something out of the ordinary? Instead of the back couch, why not have a floating table? You could even ditch the couch together and have floating chairs near the left corners.

I love the idea, but it doesn't fit the setting. There's too much of a depressed economy to waste power on such things, and this space station is supposed to have a very specific purpose. I will add a futuristic table, though.
All your verbcoin are belong to us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk