Background Blitz 8/12 - 8/21/07 - Results are in!

Started by Tiki, Sat 11/08/2007 18:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiki

Thanks a bunch for your kind words, this is my first time winning a Blitz.  This week's topic is...

Evil Lair... on a budget!

The typical Evil Lair is nothing short of breathtaking.  Giant frikkin' laser beams, dangerous shark pools, underground rockets and a never-ending supply of minions.  Unfortunately, not all Evil Geniuses have an unlimited supply of money!  There are some poor megalomaniacs who must simply make do with what they have.

Perhaps the budding new entrepreneur hasn't left his mothers garage yet?
Maybe his evil throne is, in fact, a dilapidated dental chair?
He could even be building Frankenstein's laboratory, using items from a junkyard and rusty car parts

The point is, we've all seen the uber-lair in a volcano; show me a grandiose evildoer in a not-so-grandiose lair.

Guidelines - Depict an Evil Lair made on a budget
                   The Lair's construction must not be fully complete, though it may be operational
                   Tell or illustrate to us his evil scheme
    Everything else is entirely up to you.

But most importantly, use your creativity!

WIP pictures are again encouraged, though far from necessary.
The competition runs from August 12th to August 21st

TheJBurger

How strict you are going to be on the guidelines?

I have an idea, but I don't know if it would adhere to the "under construction" part.

Tiki

If you have an idea, go for it!

It's up to the individual voters to decide if your entry fits the rules.  Personally, I wouldn't be too strict, no.

Though it shouldn't be hard to make a small portion of the "lair" incomplete, just to accommodate. 

cobra79

V. Lain Real Estate offer of the month:

"Tree Manor 3000" for the evil ambitious and misunderstood visionary of tomorrow.

ONLY 999$*

x2

*- self installation
  - 16% provision and VAT to be paid in addition
  - tree and rope-ladder not included

A Lair does not have to be a cave right? I wanted to have a dramatic perspective to give this tree house a bit of an evil touch. Unfortunately this kind of perspective goes beyond my current abilities and it just looks odd. Therefore I lost interest in it and can't find the motivation to polish it, but since I really like the idea I publish it anyway.

pslim

Cobra, that is a wickedly awesome background. 10/10 for Vision.

Illustrious

Have to agree, Cobra that is a great piece, would love to see you polish that one up.

(Rather than just a post to comment I reserve this place for my entry)

Buckethead

From out of an abandoned factory based Dr. John runs an secret criminal organisation...
He uses nothing more then his wicked brain and his mothers laptop that runs on his emotions...

Neil Dnuma

The lair of the Eskimo gangster boss, Nanook Jr. Here many fur thefts have been planned. On the sign; his emblem - the finger. Also a few mousetraps to scare the uninvited away. The plank is very slippery, and if you fall into the cold water you might freeze to death. Roof not finished due to engineering problems.

ildu

Haha, awesome, Neil :D! I really love the colors.

Tiki

I'm enjoying the entries, but this thread could use more!

Any more submissions?  Just let me know that you're working on something, and I'll gladly extend the deadline.

I understand that the topic is not the most original, but I tried to choose something fun with creative potential.

If no one says anything, voting will begin in a day or two.

TheJBurger

Sorry, I had an idea and I barely worked on it, but it didn't come out quite as I imagined it.

So I'm pretty sure I won't finish it.

nihilyst

I also don't have the time, though I had an idea. Maybe next time.

Snarky

My idea was that these days, an evil genius trying to set up a lair on the cheap would do what every modern entrepreneur does: go online.

So the evil lair would be a half-completed MySpace page, with a form for minions to sign up.

Didn't seem like actually making a spoof webpage would be worth it, so I left it at the concept stage.

pslim

This is a very cool topic imo, Tiki. I would have contributed (poorly), but I just haven't had the time.

It's a shame there are so few entries because the ones that have been entered have been great.

ildu

I'm also not gonna take part this time. I've got no extra time this week, and I haven't gotten any ideas concerning the topic yet.

loominous

I think the topic is the coolest that I can recall, but I've had major trouble coming up with a good idea that works on paper.

I wouldn't mind giving it a couple of more tries if you'd extend it, but I can't guarantee anything.
Looking for a writer

Tiki

Okay, doesn't look like anybody else is going to enter, but just in case there are any last minute entries like mine last round, I'll hold off for about 24 hours.

Nice to hear about all of those ideas, but it would be even nicer if I could see them ;)

Tiki

Alright then, I think I've given ample time for any new submissions...

Only three entries, but three great entries at that.

cobra79
V. Lain Real Estate offer of the month:

"Tree Manor 3000" for the evil ambitious and misunderstood visionary of tomorrow.

ONLY 999$*

*- self installation
  - 16% provision and VAT to be paid in addition
  - tree and rope-ladder not included

Mr. Buckéthead

From out of an abandoned factory based Dr. John runs an secret criminal organisation...
He uses nothing more then his wicked brain and his mothers laptop that runs on his emotions...

Neil Dnuma

The lair of the Eskimo gangster boss, Nanook Jr. Here many fur thefts have been planned. On the sign; his emblem - the finger. Also a few mousetraps to scare the uninvited away. The plank is very slippery, and if you fall into the cold water you might freeze to death. Roof not finished due to engineering problems.

(The rest of this was stolen from loominous)
The categories:

Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't
necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the
week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place
you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain feeling or mood.

Design - How well the elements in the image are designed,
such as landscapes, buildings, decorations, clouds, doorknobs,
etc.

Composition - How well the elements in the image work
together/are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, i
ncluding appropriate walking distances, a good angle for
character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood
exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of
rendering.

Code: ags

[b]Idea[/b] - 

[b]Atmosphere[/b] - 

[b]Design[/b] - 

[b]Composition[/b] - 

[b]Functionality[/b] - 

[b]Technique[/b] -

Let the voting commence!  Or else!

pslim

Idea - Cobra79 rulez :D

Atmosphere - Cobra79 rulez :D

Design - Neil Dnuma rulez :D

Composition - Neil Dnuma rulez :D

Functionality - Neil Dnuma rulez :D

Technique - Neil Dnuma rulez :D

cobra79

All my 6 votes for Neil Dnuma.

It is a great idea with wonderful colors and great attention to detail - a fantastic background.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk