"Downfall"-DEMO available for download now!

Started by Grim, Sun 19/08/2007 17:27:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Demo of the game is now available for download. Most of the material used for demo has not featured in game itself and was meant to explain the story of one of the more important characters- Sophie. It is very adult in content. Keep your children away from it...

Download it through rapidshare by clicking on this link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/111156978/Downfall-demo.rar

or alternatively:

http://www.sonsofgaia.net/AGS/Downfall-demo.rar

For those who are not familiar with rapidshare I should propably add that it's free of charge if you ignore all the price tags and follow the instructions on the website. It can be a bit confusing at first but it's quick and safe really.

The idea of this game was chaged so many times I can hardly remember how it started...I think it was about merging ideas from Monkey Island and Elvira:Mistress Of The Dark which sounds rather weird but...it kinda works.

Some details then:

-it was in production for over 2.5 years
-backgrounds are handdrawn with pencil, colours added on Paintshop Pro 9
- I want this game to be scary..not just scary but "silent hill scary"..its surpisingly hard to achieve you know in a adventure game
-its based on broken sword interface
-only one, yes, one, person was doing it. Thats why its taking so long:)

It's about 75% finished.
All the backgrounds I had drawn long ago. Now Im just drawing sprites and glueing it all together.
If I manage to finish this game it will seriously kick ass!

STORY

Joe and Lucy Davis have been married for a few years but their marriage isn't a particularly happy one.
Trying to help their falling apart relationship  they decide to go for a holiday to Devon, south west of England, but as they arrive into the strange empty town there they cannot find the way out.
As Lucy suffers from a rare mental disorder and loses touch with reality it becomes difficult for Joe to deal with the situation. He decides to spend a night in hotel, wait for her to calm down, maybe even call a doctor.
But things only get worse and worse. They have an argument before going to sleep.
Lucy dissapears in the morning.
All clues point to the woman staying in room next to their room. She doesn't like the noise. She is a devoted eater...And the blood trails lead to her room.
And the whole hotel seems very different in the morning...
Who is really mad? Is it Lucy talking rubbish about dead people living in the walls or is it Joe facing the ultimate mission of murder and destruction?
You will find out when the game is finished:)

Yes, it is adult content, so if you're under 18 dont look below.
Any questions?

Buckethead

Oh I love horror games  :D Grafics look good. But what is that guy saying all sorts of tech stuff?

nihilyst

Looks cool so far. Can you say something about the story?

Grim

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Sun 19/08/2007 18:10:54
Oh I love horror games  :D Grafics look good. But what is that guy saying all sorts of tech stuff?

If you press F11 or something all this stuff comes up...I was just aiming for F12 I suppose to take a screenshot heh:)

Jon

Afflict

Sounds interesting the beginning sorta reminded me of a thing i saw on tv... but then again who cares it sounds awesome!

sharksweetheart

Ooh I'm looking forward to this one!

I like how it's all in pencil, it works surprisingly well.

ginanubismon

What an amazing game, I love the whole graphic style.

And for the "glitch", I would personally leave it for now. It seems so, disoranting(sp?).
(When he meantions "room cordinates".)

edit by mod - posts combined
"I shall call thee, Roger Ellison David Nicouli Etcher Calvin Kevin Sue in honor of what kind of a big jack@$$ you had been to guys like me." ADR -01 Jabberwock Type on fanfiction writers.

CosmoQueen

This game sounds frightening! Will you be able to die in it?
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

HolyJack

Wow! This game looks fantastic. I love the style.
Can't wait to play it.
But the story sounds alot like Trilby's Notes.

Grim

I think to achieve the feeling of fear throughout the game it would be good if you could die in it...Like in Elvira games, you never knew what hit you(but that was maybe due to poor graphic)...so yeah, I think I might just do that.

auriond

*adds to list of games I'm looking forward to*

I'm a chicken when it comes to horror games, but this looks too good to miss :)

MYKAYEL

WOW  :o
BIG SILENT HILL, FATAL FRAME & RESIDENT EVIL FAN RIGHT HERE!!!
Really looking forward to this game! BTW, the graphics look incredible, I'm verry impressed with what you've done  ;D

yarooze

It looks very impressive. I would like to play some horror adventure game and hope, this one will be very creepy...  ;)
My Blog

Grim

Quote from: yarooze on Sat 25/08/2007 20:05:58
It looks very impressive. I would like to play some horror adventure game and hope, this one will be very creepy...  ;)

That's the problem with horror games these days- they ain't scary no more!
I grew up on Stephen King and Elvira(well I know I mentioned it already) and as King always said horror is balancing on a thin line between fear and comedy...Obviously it is easier to achieve believable feeling of fear in games made by big teams of professionals who have millions to spend on them...But somehow-they blow it. Maybe f there's too much money at stake they are too afraid that the game is gonna get banned like manhunt but then again Silent Hill did so well  by actually breaking the stereotypes and bringing something fresh into the industry...Then the bloody americans got the license and look what they did to the SH movie- they simply turned it into some hollywood crap that we've all seen hundred times before.

In my previous game there was a scene in which main character was taking a dump in the shady corner and as he had nothing to wipe his bottom with he had to use horror book he wrote and had in his inventory... I think it's a good example of breaking the rules, however gross it seems... I wanna the "Downfall" to be just as original... But it's hard when I'm doing it all alone:( And yet, I'm refusing to get help from other people 'cos I know better what I want to achieve hehe

sharksweetheart

I used to wonder why nobody ever needed to go in video games, because having to take a leak, or worse - a dump, in a zombie filled forest or something would pretty much be the scariest thing ever.

Also, where can I obtain said game?  :=

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: sharksweetheart on Mon 27/08/2007 02:36:26Also, where can I obtain said game?  :=
Please answer this question in a PM and keep this thread about this game.  Thanks.

Bai Karl

Unique graphics style ! Can't wait to see it.

Grim

Thanks for all the positive comments:)
I don't want to reveal too much but I thought I might post few more screenshots and backgrounds.
This is floor 4 corridor:

Staircase between floors:

Twilight Lounge:

And one of the animations done recently showing an npc killed with a shotgun:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk