"Downfall"-DEMO available for download now!

Started by Grim, Sun 19/08/2007 17:27:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd27

Played it and liked it pretty much.

I especially like the graphics style in this game, but I feel, that the player character is not in the same level as other graphics. And his walking animation could be better...

But the overall atmosphere is something I really like in this one and that's why i'm still wanting to play the full release as soon as possible!

Grim

Thanks for all the feedback:)

I admit the main character needs some work. It's the first sprite I made for the game and as the work progressed I learned new tricks and made other animations better... I just need to go back to the drawing board and redo him a bit. It is really important since his walking and talking animations are the ones you see most often in the game... So yeah, point taken, I put that on the "to do" list.

Did someone say that Sophie's story dragged on too long?... Dammit... I was afraid of that...

Anyway, I'm currently speaking to the publisher in USA hoping that they will, well, publish my game. It's quite a massive game really. Not perfect maybe, but it's just full of stuff... I'm just hoping it's good enough to go commercial.

As to release date, I'm literally working my ass off to finish it. It's a lot of work for one person... Enjoyable, sure, but takes so much time! I even take my laptop to my day job and spend hours and hours putting it all together.

If anyone would like to add something else I'll be grateful for more feedback.

Angel Dust

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Thu 01/05/2008 15:15:05
Did someone say that Sophie's story dragged on too long?... Dammit... I was afraid of that...
Yeah that was me  ;D To be more specific it wasn't so much the story but the way it was told that dragged. The accompanying animations are good but there needed to be more. Quite often nothing was really happening except the protagonist talking and looping through that 2-3 frame talking animation. You could maybe experiment with the angles a bit. Like instead of always having the protagonist from the same view maybe swap to a close up or another angle at a different points in the story.

Grim

Angel, that's actually a very good idea. The thing is I only made this demo for fun and it isn't even included in the game, although I'm thinking about chucking it in somewhere. Still, you don't really expect from a point & click adventure game to have its focus put on pace of the action but rather telling a story from interesting angles(not necessarily camera angles:)

It's a funny thing with Joe's talking animation. It included few more frames in the start (articulation and stuff) but I cut it down to only his head moving because it looked weird... Every time you examined something he started waving his hands like crazy and I decided to tone it down. Any suggestions on how to make it more realistic without making it look comical?

As to his face being visible when turned backward this is a bug I only recently noticed and it's caused by my screen settings being to dark- I just didn't see it until I played it on the laptop. This is something I will fix straightaway.

At this stage I cannot completely change the main character because of all the other animations but I will definetely work on his walking and talking, maybe crank up his standing view a bit.

I just checked the sprite count and there's over 1220 sprites in the game! Yikes:)

Angel Dust

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Thu 01/05/2008 16:42:20
Any suggestions on how to make it more realistic without making it look comical?
What I do is make a fairly long talking loop. Most of it is just the same frames but I vary the times between head bobs so it isn't so regular and other subtle differences like mouth shape and possible a little gesture. The arms dont have to wave around, quite often when people talk they can just have the hands out in front on them (hard to describe, but Brink from 'The Dig' does it a bit) for emphasis. So maybe stick that in the middle of a long talking loop for some variation.

Grim

Downfall is finished, as from today.
Now it is being evaluated by a potential publisher and if they like it I will go commercial! Well, yes.... if they like it. Those of you who don't condemn me for wanting to earn some money on my game please wish me good luck!:)

Two last screenshots(this time they really are last:))

And big thank you to all of you who helped me along the way on technical stuff!

SuperDre

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk